Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
It is supposed to have been fixed in Mid 2014 so that would be Model Year 2015.
Mine is a MY 2015 build and is fine.
Mine is a 2015 MY and has had the raised section done already - so far front panel is OK

Mine is a 2015 MY and has had the raised section done already - so far front panel is OK
Only referring to the front section. My Elevating section is fine. Is yours used Daily?

Well, slowly, slowly.
13 votes and 9 have contacted the BBC so far.
Got a call just this afternoon from a bodyshop in Southport, booked in for repair mid february next year!
Then a call form my local Van centre to confirm I'm dropping it there.
Whats happening.
At least they will have had time to practice on other vans before mine :Nailbiting

Our raising roof was repaired six months after purchase (new).
So far all is OK.
At this moment I do not really have a valid complaint to make so I will not be contacting WD.
However, I fully agree that the whole saga has been badly handled by VW for the majority of owners.

I am still waiting for repairs. Got my letter over 2 years ago!!!

This is difficult. My roof was quickly repaired. I was leant a very nice, new California whilst mine was away and the repair has, so far, been fine.
In addition, the replacement bellows has developed a fault which, after 2 years, VW have agreed to replace at their cost.
Apart from the initial poor design, I really cannot complain.

I do not therefore intend to complain to Watchdog

I have complained. Still waiting for them to submit new claim form, aparently they are too busy. First contacted them aug 2015

Hi!
I can see the point to report this to BBC watchdog for a UK customer. From my point of view as a VW Sweden customer it might just look strange.
/Christer

I'm receiving emails from @vwcaliforniaclub.com sent on behalf of this group but it doesn't say anything about who the members of this group are.

So, in the interest of transparency, can someone tell us all who they are and what the agenda is please?

Guys,

thanks for the advice since receiving you emails I have checked my roof and so far I have no corrosion.

I make a point of having the roof up and keeping the drain holes and the seals clean so I will keep a close eye on it.

Good luck with the campaign and I hope you get VW to take some notice.

Corrosion is one of my pet hates as far as vehicles are concerned, its very disappointing to have it associated with the VW brand especially on one of there most expensive vehicles.

Hi after our California being on the list for 2 years it's now been approved for the so called new repair, it was actually in for a air con repair and now it's been sent to the bodyshop in glasgow and ours is the first one in scotland to get repaired ! Which worries me a small bit.
I'll update you's once I know what's going on but I'm not to happy about a quick spray instead of replacing the roof. There is now 4 official repair bodyshops in the UK.

I'm receiving emails from @vwcaliforniaclub.com sent on behalf of this group but it doesn't say anything about who the members of this group are.

So, in the interest of transparency, can someone tell us all who they are and what the agenda is please?
I presume ALL those who have the Roof Corrosion problem, have been given the run around by VW and want some action. I set up the. Thread with the Poll to encourage owners to tell their story to the BBC Watchdog program and hopefully get VWUK to take some timely action. I don't have the problem, as yet, but it seems that VW are hopping that their delaying tactics will minimise their costs. Watchdog may be able to bring them to account. However, we need numbers so that the BBC will take it up.

We have submitted our story to watchdog. We have had a nightmare with our claim. When we bought our van in Jan it already had the corrosion problem but had the warranty claim approved. We were told we just needed to wait to here from the body shop. 2 months later so I contacted he garage and they said I had to just wait and be patient. I found the name of the body shop so contacted them direct only to be told they were waiting for VW to confirm if it was both issues. I then arranged for the van to be reviewed again by VW. They tried to submit the claim details and were told they couldn't as it was already in process. While all this was going on VW cancelled the original approved claim and in August we had to start all over again. We are now still awaiting approval of our claim. Meanwhile I have had several calls with VW customer care. Apparently the bosses of VW UK and VW warranty dept met last week to discuss the issue but I still haven't had my claim approved and am still waiting to hear from VW. I am very frustrated and the front of my van now looks terrible.

Last edited:
I presume ALL those who have the Roof Corrosion problem, have been given the run around by VW and want some action. I set up the. Thread with the Poll to encourage owners to tell their story to the BBC Watchdog program and hopefully get VWUK to take some timely action. I don't have the problem, as yet, but it seems that VW are hopping that their delaying tactics will minimise their costs. Watchdog may be able to bring them to account. However, we need numbers so that the BBC will take it up.

Thanks for your reply WG.

Whilst I totally agree that VWCS should be held to account for their appalling record on this issue, I have concerns that the forum is being used to promote an action that may not be in the best interest of and supported by all members.

Any media coverage will create bad publicity for VW but also for our beloved California.

Perhaps the Action Group can formally contact the CEO at VWUK and Wolfsburg prior to bringing out all the dirty washing in full public view...... just a thought.

Everyone suffering with the corrosion has also invested heavily into the VW California. We were all VW and California fans. Unfortunately we have been treated extremely badly by VW - I for example have had appalling corrosion for THREE years now and currently don't even have an accepted warranty claim on the system despite having previously had it accepted TWICE already.

We have spun a line for 3 years now with no actual progress towards a repair so the idea of writing to somebody only to wait months for some PR-savvy reply doesn't feel like a realistic plan.

My concern right now is that as the problem vans get older, VW are starting to distance themselves from the issue. When my van was new I was told I would get a full-monty repair with no expense spared and 6 years warranty - 5 left at that time. Now I'm told I can have a patch put on it sometime in the future with no warranty extension to account for the fact it's actually been rotten for most of the warranty period.

I don't want to tarnish the brand I've bought into but don't see that VW will respond to anything else.

I think the answer is for VW to do the right thing before Watchdog airs - not for us with rotting vans to keep quiet. Sorry.

Everyone suffering with the corrosion has also invested heavily into the VW California. We were all VW and California fans. Unfortunately we have been treated extremely badly by VW - I for example have had appalling corrosion for THREE years now and currently don't even have an accepted warranty claim on the system despite having previously had it accepted TWICE already.

We have spun a line for 3 years now with no actual progress towards a repair so the idea of writing to somebody only to wait months for some PR-savvy reply doesn't feel like a realistic plan.

My concern right now is that as the problem vans get older, VW are starting to distance themselves from the issue. When my van was new I was told I would get a full-monty repair with no expense spared and 6 years warranty - 5 left at that time. Now I'm told I can have a patch put on it sometime in the future with no warranty extension to account for the fact it's actually been rotten for most of the warranty period.

I don't want to tarnish the brand I've bought into but don't see that VW will respond to anything else.

I think the answer is for VW to do the right thing before Watchdog airs - not for us with rotting vans to keep quiet. Sorry.
Exactly

Why sorry?

Having read all the threads on this subject (sad I know) I certainly don't advocate "keeping quiet" so not sure where you got that impression. I thought the "totally agree" bit in my post made my view absolutely clear.

What I suggested was firstly contacting the CEO's - if no one has done this already it will carry considerably more weight from a petitioning group who are also considering media and legal action?

I certainly wouldn't have the patience with VWCS to wait as long as some people have.

Now you have an ACTION GROUP, use this momentum but go straight to the top with your petition.

Haven't we been down this road before?
I seem to remember someone from the forum communicating with VW HO
which resulted in the 6 year guarantee etc.
By supposedly losing the list and making everyone re-submit their claims, plus the lesser fix, they have effectively stuck 2 fingers up at existing owners.

Back