Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
Well according to the Poll count 1 person has done it and 1 hasn't.

Poll count ?

I did it on the watchdog site and it acknowledged my msg....
On the top of this thread - A Poll to see how many Forum members have contacted Watchdog. Lots of members have posted complaints etc: but very few seem to have contacted the BBC. Unless significant members do then the BBC will probably just put it down to a few disgruntled customers. You need numbers to get their attention.
I was hoping that having a Poll would galvanise members to contact them. It seems not, but I live in hope.

I don't have the problem, as yet, but their seem to be a lot of complaints/rants and threats of legal action but zilch seems to be done. Oh well, time will tell.

If everyone who is experiencing probs actually does this then it will get airtime I am sure...

I have had the full repair carried out to an exceptional standard, at this point I'm not sure I have a complaint about the roof problem. Should I add something to watchdog to make up the numbers?

The poll doesn't show for me on Tapatalk- only on web view. Is that normal?

I believe I was the first UK person to get my 2007 roof fixed under warranty. Firstly after about 2010 they paided for the lip to be resprayed, then about 2012 it went to a body shop who removed the roof for a proper repair, I waited 3 months whilst VW Warrenty and Customer service argued over who was going to pay to put my roof back on! The workshop wrote the manual on how to put a roof back on and said they had 3 more claims in the queue. Thanks to GB Flints, but 4 years on I'm sure it will re-occur...eventually.
But I still love it.

Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

I have a 2009 California; I registered the roof corrosion in July 2014 with my local dealer (JCB Ashford Van Centre) and have chased them a few times about progress. My contact at JCB Van Centre was aware of the corrosion problem and recently contacted me so that he could take more photos.
Having seen the recent posts about lack of action by VW, I was about to add my tale to the forum but today I have been informed by JCB Ashford Van Centre that the repair has been authorised and I will shortly be contacted by A B Crush to arrange a date for the work.

Forgot to mention the body shop increased the airflow under the front lip to help avoid the problem, I noticed loud wind noise from day one, so I just turn the stereo up!

In addition to the corrosion on the front panel, I removed the rubber trim around the elevating section for the first time yesterday and found sections like this:

IMG_1933.JPG

Is this part of the warranty process, or is this considered to be "wear and tear" due to trapped moisture?

In addition to the corrosion on the front panel, I removed the rubber trim around the elevating section for the first time yesterday and found sections like this:

View attachment 16851

Is this part of the warranty process, or is this considered to be "wear and tear" due to trapped moisture?

Not wear and tear, that is part of the warranty claim.

likewise I am one of those who had the full roof and roof panel done (by Shorade) and so I have no issues with VW from a personal point of view ... but I do wonder why it is some people have good resolutions and others seem to be continually messed about ...

Second quarter 2014 van, nothing on front panel, but tiny bubbles under seal down one side of elevating roof. One little bubble a couple of mm diameter just above seal that I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been looking. Hasn't changed since I spotted it a year ago. I understand VW will respray affected areas of the main roof only.

I'm happy with that as I assume roof will not need to be removed so less risk of hydraulics / canvas etc. being messed-up?

I had thought of not bothering to get it done, but I guess if the metal has not been properly prepared it might get worse over time.

Well, slowly, slowly.
13 votes and 9 have contacted the BBC so far.

Hi everyone. I've been reading the forum for a long time but first post so please be gentle!The roof stories sound awful. I hope customers all get this resolved as no one deserves to be treated in this manner. It's actually really put me off buying a vehicle when I read this. We were about to purchase an ocean but now I'm wondering it to proceed at the end of the month.

Does anyone know if the problem has been fixed for sure on the T6? I can't get a reassuring answer from customer service or dealer.

Thanks for all help

Mine was 2017 build so too early to tell. Looks fine so fingers crossed.

Hi everyone. I've been reading the forum for a long time but first post so please be gentle!The roof stories sound awful. I hope customers all get this resolved as no one deserves to be treated in this manner. It's actually really put me off buying a vehicle when I read this. We were about to purchase an ocean but now I'm wondering it to proceed at the end of the month.

Does anyone know if the problem has been fixed for sure on the T6? I can't get a reassuring answer from customer service or dealer.

Thanks for all help
It is supposed to have been fixed in Mid 2014 so that would be Model Year 2015.
Mine is a MY 2015 build and is fine.

Back