Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof canvas bellow repairs covered by warranty?

Adegoody

Adegoody

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi Guys, does any one know if a repair to the canvas bellows of my roof would be covered by the VW warranty? I was putting it down in a hurry this summer and the scissor supports sliced a hole in them!

I would say not.unless you have a fault in mechanism it is likely to be down to user error do you use a bellows bungie

They used to give some goodwill a few years ago but not anymore, as @Meoncoast says at the end of the day it is user error. Have you checked the roof as well, as is it normally puts a kink in the side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks both, I thought as much, I guess I need to track down a suitable canvas repair kit and have a go myself, any ideas on where to buy this? I will be ordering a bungie for future use............kind of bolting the stable door and all that though!

if you are due roof repair you may get new bellows

Thanks both, I thought as much, I guess I need to track down a suitable canvas repair kit and have a go myself, any ideas on where to buy this? I will be ordering a bungie for future use............kind of bolting the stable door and all that though!

There are countless canvas tent repair kits on the market.
The only one I've used is Tear-Aid Type A and it's excellent.
I used it on two scissor cuts on the Cali canvas.
http://www.tear-aid.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2
I think I got it on Amazon for about a tenner.

It's dead easy to apply.
Follow the instructions exactly - especially using the alcohol patches to clean the muck off the canvas surface.
Good luck

Tear-Aid Type A

Agree.

Used Tear Aid on lots of things... including scuba dry suits...

Used a small patch on my Mütze back in '10 when it caught an ember from a bonfire being lit by a Jet Powered Beetle ... still as good as the day it was put on.

Highly recommend... I always carry a pack in the van.

Rgds
Mark

Thanks a lot Barry & SimplyDubs for the info, i will take your advice and order a couple of packs, its always reassuring to go with a tried and tested option! :thumb

Have just had my canvas replaced free of charge under warranty by VW as a good will measure as they know there is a problem with the calipars nicking the canvas. The sad thing is I had a bungee cord fitted which still did not prevent the canvas from being nicked. Got the impression that VW allow one replacement under warranty. Think it takes them 2.5hrs to do the removal/replacement.

Can I ask which van centre you got this from?
Have just had my canvas replaced free of charge under warranty by VW as a good will measure as they know there is a problem with the calipars nicking the canvas. The sad thing is I had a bungee cord fitted which still did not prevent the canvas from being nicked. Got the impression that VW allow one replacement under warranty. Think it takes them 2.5hrs to do the removal/replacement.
c

Edinburgh. You firstly have to contact the VW customer support number help desk 0800 717 131 explain the problem and make sure you get a reference number from them. Then go back to your local VW service dept with the ref and fingers crossed they should very quickly come back and say if they are going to replace or not, but they should. Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Edinburgh. You firstly have to contact the VW customer support number help desk 0800 717 131 explain the problem and make sure you get a reference number from them. Then go back to your local VW service dept with the ref and fingers crossed they should very quickly come back and say if they are going to replace or not, but they should. Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Hello Anne,

Philippe here from the south of France ...
I just saw your post and I had the same problem with my brand new T6 Coast where the canvas has been trapped in the scissors (and therefore a hole in it now). I'm currently having an appointment with VW France on Sept 27 because the help desk initially refused to take it under warranty ..
I would really appreciate any reference number in VW where the Canvas has been replaced for the same issue. I guess it will help me a lot if I can prove that this was taken under warranty in your case and will save me a lot of efforts !

Thanks in advance for your help,
Philippe.

Hi Guys, does any one know if a repair to the canvas bellows of my roof would be covered by the VW warranty? I was putting it down in a hurry this summer and the scissor supports sliced a hole in them!
This is one of the very few instances that I've heard of this having happened on a Beach. Whilst it's of no consolation to you, could you please give more details as to the precise circumstances and how this accident happened? It might help other Beach owners to avoid doing the same.

I hope you manage to get it satisfactorily fixed soon.