Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for a Folding E-Bicycle.

Currently looking at an estrali e20.8 for the exact same reasons you've quoted. Quite fancy the 20" tyre over the 16". Need to demo one and also the cheaper e20.7.
Just bought 2x20.7 great bit of kit. Started using them locally for getting around

Whoosh! Bicycles.
1 - Southen on Sea based, very helpful company.
2 - we've had 2 of their ebikes for a few years now; incredibly robust and reliable, been round the EU a few times on our Cali.
3 - they do a folding bike, the 'Rambletta' good for 40 miles on one charge, folds quite well.
5 - cost £1200, and that's coughing up an extra £100 for the larger battery.

All of the aforementioned bikes will do the job, but not as cheaply!

We love ours.

If the budget suits, get a Brompton. The 6 speed ones have a better spread of gears than the 3. They do a 12 speed now which would help further. I've taken mine on some easy MTB trails, used it in various cities, taken it up and down some Moorland roads. They are real bikes. Top quality

If the budget suits, get a Brompton. The 6 speed ones have a better spread of gears than the 3. They do a 12 speed now which would help further. I've taken mine on some easy MTB trails, used it in various cities, taken it up and down some Moorland roads. They are real bikes. Top quality
A Brompton is one of those rare products you buy for life. I can see me using my T-lIne well in to retirement while I'm physically fit to ride. The components are non proprietary so it easy to upgrade brakes, wheels, bottom bracket, head set, crank set etc. 7 year warranty on the frame. Super easy to work on with some proper tools.

I went through most of the considerations on this thread & agree with most of the sentiments shared. We had 20” wheel Dahon folders, but wanted electric folders for ‘utility’ (rather than ‘exercise’) rides to pubs, shops, starts of walks etc.

• I chose the ADO Air 20 as they seem a legit firm, good value & I prefer 20” wheels.
  • One bike will also just fit side-to-side unfolded behind the front seats eg: when riding home from / back to VW dealer for service.
  • I’ve fitted a throttle to one of ours which is great, particularly useful when moving-off.
  • Carbon belt is one less thing to worry about.
  • Was dubious about single speed, and it does top-out, and I’d not want to spend too much time on very hilly terrain, but works absolutely fine & again less to go wrong.

Brompton seems great, but the electric version / Swytch is too dear for me.

MiRider felt a close second, and very cool in orange, but the smaller wheels give me a gorilla-on-a-tricycle vibe - it’s a fair bit smaller, but could well work better in a van.

I went through most of the considerations on this thread & agree with most of the sentiments shared. We had 20” wheel Dahon folders, but wanted electric folders for ‘utility’ (rather than ‘exercise’) rides to pubs, shops, starts of walks etc.

• I chose the ADO Air 20 as they seem a legit firm, good value & I prefer 20” wheels.
  • One bike will also just fit side-to-side unfolded behind the front seats eg: when riding home from / back to VW dealer for service.
  • I’ve fitted a throttle to one of ours which is great, particularly useful when moving-off.
  • Carbon belt is one less thing to worry about.
  • Was dubious about single speed, and it does top-out, and I’d not want to spend too much time on very hilly terrain.

Brompton seems great, but the electric version / Swytch is too dear for me.

MiRider felt a close second, and very cool in orange, but the smaller wheels give me a gorilla-on-a-tricycle vibe - it’s a fair bit smaller, but could well work better in a van.
Did you get the " International " version where you can switch to 350w and throttle On via the app?

no - UK standard edition. I’m still playing with the app & haven’t yet felt the need for any more oomph.

no - UK standard edition. I’m still playing with the app & haven’t yet felt the need for any more oomph.
Apparently only the International version has that capability built in.

Yep - fairly sure that Electroheads only sell the UK version at 250 output.

I do also like the look of (but haven't seen) the Fiido as similar but more expensive alternative:

Yep - fairly sure that Electroheads only sell the UK version at 250 output.

I do also like the look of (but haven't seen) the Fiido as similar but more expensive alternative:
You can buy the International version , in the U.K., direct from ADO. My gym trainer has just bought one.

………….hang on, wait a minute! “Your gym trainer”!

If you have a gym trainer then that suggests a reasonable level of fitness so why the need for an ebike? Just pedal it. :Grin:Grin:Grin
Wait until you get to my age. Flexibility and balance are as important , if not more so, than strength.
Also an ebike using pedal assist reduces the need for multiple gears especially belt driven which have no gears as such. So, no bike rack on the next California dictates a folding bicycle, reduced gears but same terrain performance dictates ebike and reduced maintenance leads to belt drive rather than chain/ multiple gears.