Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear tilting tow bar mounted storage box + tailgate access

Hello again Cleve.

I have just taken receipt of one of these boxes. Let's just say for the sake of brevity that the process has been ... difficult. I'm trying to work out if what I have is working correctly and wondered if you could help me. Please don't go to any trouble putting the (heavy) box on the van, from memory if you can.

• Do you know if when you switch the fog lights on in the van you get any fog lights on the lighting board on the box?
  • Also, there seems to be a whole row of lights on the upper part of the cluster, above the reflector, that don't seem to do anything for me. Are these the fog lights? Do these lights do anything on yours?
  • I have a seven-pin connection on the van and a thirteen-pin connection on the lead to the box, with a Halfords 7->13 adaptor in the middle. Is this how you did it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Mark

Sorry Mark, only just seen this. I have to admit we've never tried the fog lights with it on and not sure what you mean about cluster of lights not working, do you have a pic?

We have a 13 pin connection on both van and box so maybe that is the issue. I'll have to investigate further next time we use it if you haven't figured it out by then!

Thanks for coming back to me Cleve.

I'll try to grab a picture, but if you have a 13-pin socket on the van it is likely you are getting the full array of lights, including reversing, which I pretty sure is not available on 7-pin connections.

I've booked the van in with the tow-bar company next week to check all the electrics. Once done, I'll post a response in case there is some nuggets of wisdom that are generally interesting.

Thanks again,
Mark

Re: Rear tilting tow bar mounted storage box + tailgate acce

Hi Waldo try looking at the BAK-RAK. I have one and use a large car roof bag, the BAK-RAK can carry 100kgs if your tow bar can take it. I would put some pictures up if I knew how
Hi Daz60, that one looks a good solution. Do you know whether it tilt enough? do you also have lights bar?

I'm think it could be great with a Zarges aluminium box

Slightly off topic but same theme.... has anyone used a Brandrup Flex bag that sits on the bike rack... thinking of buying one but would like to hear and Pros/Cons of this accessory
Thanks Paul

Hi guys, I'm trying to buy a MFT Euro Select Box but I even don't get they answer my emails. How did you order it? Their web site says they don't deliver to UK.

I've also asked Bac-Rak whether they sell some one as wide as the MFT one (1.90cm), but they only do 1.20cm boxes. I was thinking about to buy a Bak-Rak one and fit a Zarges aluminum box... but they also do have 1.90cm wide

I had that problem and then realised I was on a dealer website and not the manufacturer's site.
Once I had got in contact with them direct, all went smoothly, except the delivery costs which were €180 to the UK and took about a week to arrive on a pallet. That made the whole kit about the same price as UK Amazon despite the weak Euro.

Try a search for www.mft.systems

Or email

Mareike Andermark
info@mft.systems who was very helpful when we bought ours in the summer.

mfttransport systems GmbH
Almarstr. 9
74532 Ilshofen
Germany

Tel. +49 (0) 7904 / 944478-0
Fax. +49 (0) 7904 / 944478-44

Geschäftsführer: Peter Bohn
Amtsgericht Stuttgart: HRB 571042
USt-Id-Nr.: DE 811 666 460

Homepage: www.mft.system

Alan

Thanks AlanC, I've already sent them an email yesterday which I hope they send some response as soon as possible.

On the another habd I've sent emails to several dealers who accordinf to their webs could sell it.

So at that point I only can wait.

Amazon UK ran out of MFT boxes.

Amazon have always stocked the base and bike rack, but not the BackBox, stating it is out of stock but will notify you when it is available. I think that, as it is a big item, they order it once they have a confirmed order from a UK customer.

As we were pushed for time, I decided to source the items from MFT direct. Transferring the money took longer than I had hoped, 7 days using a free service by XE.com, and then delivery was a week. It all arrived on the afternoon before we boarded a ferry the following morning...phew!

Alan

Already bought to a German dealer. I'm using my phone now and have no details, I'll share them just in case someone are interested.

There are some that have no their own stock and ask MFT to send the items directly, which don't work because MFT doens't deliver to UK.

Where I've placed my order they have their own stock and are happy to send to UK (Inssured parce)

I've placed my order here: https://carbob.de/

I'm expecting to receive the items on Friday or Monday. Let's see how everything goes.

It is a good choice, if a little expensive, but worked very well for us this year.

Thanks, the currency difference helped a little

What was the postage cost on it, out of interest? I've always fancied one of these but could never quite bring myself to part with the cash, so have continued with my roof box so far.

Mark

It was 33.61€ + 19% VAT

Inssured transport

Yes, it is. Total amount, including delivery and VAT 919€
MFT Back Carrier + Box + 190cm extensions

It's expected to arrive home next week..... let's see

I bought ours direct from the manufacturers and they charged €180 to the UK.

The consignment included the Backbox and the base which is quite heavy, and was sent on a pallet.

I was pushed for time so went with this cost to get the kit. I am sure there are other suppliers who may be cheaper.

Amazon UK do list these products but won't specify the delivery time of the Backbox. The base and bike rack are usually in stock. Total UK cost is about the same as from Germany with the expensive delivery charge.

Alan

Just got a message from the seller. Looks like to deliver such a parcel to UK cannot not be donde as they ussually do (don't know details) and the delivery is 140€.

Oh dear! I thought the original postage looked too good to be true.

100€ of difference. I don't know what special thing have they to do to deliver it to UK.... probably is the pallet? Looks like it have to be sent in two parcels

There it go!!! Already at home and just mounted and ready to travel to Spain.

IMG_20151218_101215524.jpg

IMG_20151218_101227911_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151218_101406843.jpg

IMG_20151218_101851849_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151218_101300485.jpg

IMG_20151218_095901067.jpg

IMG_20151218_101237948.jpg

IMG_20151218_100737042.jpg

IMG_20151218_100954714_HDR.jpg

Nice to see others getting the mft box. Hope you like it as much as we do.

We bought our box from Amazon I think & Base from eBay. Or perhaps it was the other way round!