Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top question.

Samanthaboyd001

Samanthaboyd001

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Can someone tell me why one side of my pop top is tight and the other side is abit baggy? Thanks for the help.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry I do not know exactly why however I guess after some time it fixes it self/pump starts to pump and levels the sides. You can manually just turn/press the button on the camper unit. Happy to be corrected.

Found some old posts on the caliboard (Germany) from 2009 about this issue and pur roof "sags" also sometimes a bit

Why does it always happen during the night?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=34937&share_tid=40064&url=https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/index.php?threads/Why-does-it-always-happen-during-the-night?.40064/&share_type=t&link_source=app
Change in temperature reduces the hydraulic pressure at night when temperature drops. If the pressure drops too low then the pump will start automatically to re-pressurise the system.
Also, by day , if temperature rises then hydraulic pressure rises BUT there is a pressure relief valve to keep pressure stable.

Can someone tell me why one side of my pop top is tight and the other side is abit baggy? Thanks for the help.

View attachment 97712

View attachment 97713
Firstly, some additional information, please.
1. Does the roof go up fully at first and then sag on that side?
2. Does the roof not go up fully on that side?

If Nos 1, there could be a leaky valve in the hydraulic ram or the pump circuit serving that side. You can swap the hydraulic pipes over at the pump connections to the 2 rams.
If the sagging moves to the other side then 99.9% the pump has a problem. If it stays on the same side then it is the ram, but before replacing check the hydraulic fluid level first.

If Nos 2, put the roof up and keep pressing the button until the pump stops automatically. If still sagging then look at the mechanism on the affected side to ensure no debris is blocking full movement. Also remove the plastic cover over the ram, just a push fit, and check nothing is blocking it and that it has extended as much as the other side.
You can try fully opening the roof 5 times in quick succession Open/Close x 5, to make sure there is no airlock.

Last edited:
Back