Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking Bay Size

My tactics for Cali parking
1) If no enforcement for bay straddling do it 2 good, 4 better. Tough out the horrified looks from fellow users
2) If bay straddling prohibited by attendant enforcement (anyone identified a bay enforcement camera yet?) protect the passenger side by parking on a row end or against a structure.
Parking “dings” are far cheaper to repair on drivers side panels
3) Avoid parking next to cars with child seats in. Wider opening and no hands to hold/restrain door when child extracted/inserted.increases risk of damage to Cali
4) As Welsh Gas’ advice and as close as possible. Less space for them to get a good “swing” of their door at your Cali paint work.
5)Don’t park parallel to the bay sides but get the van aligned diagonally.
This causes adjacent parkers to lose their alignment by reference to your van side for parallel parking and you get a bit more space at you passenger or drivers door (whichever you require)
5) Park as far away from entrance to building/venue as possible (if willing to walk extra distance). Most people don’t so your vehicle is left in isolation.
Only downside are the “companion” Parker’s who spy your lonely vehicle and think it needs company,, so cosy up to it.;)
Happy (dent free )parking
We do all that. Never yet had the nerve to park over more than 2 bays though, and only then in a quieter car park. Had a car park warrior park up within 6 inches of my drivers door when parking over a bay line - in a v.quiet car park, just to make a point I think.

We do all that. Never yet had the nerve to park over more than 2 bays though, and only then in a quieter car park. Had a car park warrior park up within 6 inches of my drivers door when parking over a bay line - in a v.quiet car park, just to make a point I think.
At least the warrior would find it hard to get enough momentum up in 6 inches to do much damage with their door and the shame when you left them isolated straddling 2 or more bays when you left :Nailbiting

Fine until the person in the space next to you opens their standard opening door and whacks into your van!
I have recently had 3 dents, one in the drivers door and 2 in the passengers, removed by a paintless repair so I am trying to park as far as possible from any cars. I like parking next to other VW California vans.

I have recently had 3 dents, one in the drivers door and 2 in the passengers, removed by a paintless repair so I am trying to park as far as possible from any cars. I like parking next to other VW California vans.
See #22 for damage limitation tactics

:agreed we always prefer to park next to other VW campervans. Never ever park next to cars with child seats, coupes or bangers.

Parking bay size has been 2.4 x 4.8m since I started my career back in 1986. CNT (Milton Keynes) adopted a new standard of 2.5 x 5.0m in 1991.

Standards vary. Lidl for example adopts a larger bay size, Waitrose a wider 2.5m bay but the same 4.8m. Most will stay with the standard 2.4x4.8m

Hatched refuge (1.2m) is typically beside and behind a disabled bay to provide more space for those with differing needs.

Is it not time car parking bays were amended to accommodate cars of todays age and size, standard size (2.4 metres wide by 4.8 metres long) a normal golf 1.8 meter wide by 4.3 meters long.
Yes it is about time the UK caught up with 2020 car sizes and door sizes. As far as I appreciate they are for 1950 cars which are much narrower. But this is the UK we are always very very late catching up withe the world alas.

Yes it is about time the UK caught up with 2020 car sizes and door sizes. As far as I appreciate they are for 1950 cars which are much narrower. But this is the UK we are always very very late catching up withe the world alas.
Also applies to garages in house builds. That will never happen due to house builder greed.

I've often thought about this when trying to park at our local Sainsburys. The problem in our little town with old streets and old buildings, is that there just isn't enough parking anywhere, and no room to create more. If they made the spaces bigger the parking problem would just get worse!

Maybe shop more at Costco
Double win you shop less often and the spaces are much larger designed for American cars
Result!

I always try to find somewhere nearby to parallel park. Much better for avoiding car park dings. If it means parking in a nearby road and walking a bit that’s fine. What is the obsession with parking as close as possible to a store entrance??? Look at multi storey car parks too - nearly always jam packed at store level but empty on the roof!

Back