Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil consumption new Cali

C

chris151151

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi. Cali 9 months old 13500m. Advised to check oil level twice. Added 0.25l each time. No problem, but is this normal? I haven't put oil in a car for years before.

Is it Normal ? that is slightly subjectiv.

should you be happy with that usage ?

the engine when new is set to a higher oil pressure, which may cause more oil to be burnt / used. The pressure should reset to normal after a period. Keep an eye on it and report it to the dealer to put a “marker” so to speak in case of future issue (put it in writing) asking the dealers opinion?

Last edited:
Normal. Mine used 1 litre in the first 17000 miles but hasn't used any since between changes.,

VW consider up to 1ltr per 600 miles to be normal. I don’t, and was unhappy with a previous Cali that started using a ltr every 3-4000 miles having used practically nothing in the first 20k miles. But what you report shouldn’t be a concern, particularly if you don’t know how full it was to start with - 0.5ltr over 13k not an issue.

Hi. Cali 9 months old 13500m. Advised to check oil level twice. Added 0.25l each time. No problem, but is this normal? I haven't put oil in a car for years before.
I thought the difference between the minimum & the maximum on the dipstick was more than 0.5 litre? Handbook advises to add "small quantities in steps of no more than 0.5l " putting 0.25l in as a top up probably only just got it off the minimum mark.

Ive just had to put 0.75l in mine at 10,000miles. Previous van used some at first up to about 15,000 miles & then never needed anything between oil changes.

the engine when new is set to a higher oil pressure, which may cause more oil to be burnt / used. The pressure should reset to normal after a period.
What? Where did you get this info?

Theres a setting called engine run in oil pressure on the ECU that lets it run at higher pressures for the first 1000km to compensate for the higher friction of new components. It sets back to normal after the 1000KM.

If you ever have any major work done on the engine its supposed to be reset to the higher pressure again for the running in period.

Theres a setting called engine run in oil pressure on the ECU that lets it run at higher pressures for the first 1000km to compensate for the higher friction of new components. It sets back to normal after the 1000KM.

If you ever have any major work done on the engine its supposed to be reset to the higher pressure again for the running in period.
Interesting. So how does it achieve it? I very much doubt it’s an adjustable oil pump so it must be an external relief valve with a solenoid?

Post #2, the link shows a post from VW Guru who confirms this.
he also confirmed in another post that the “running in “ pressures should be reset after major engine work. (As described by @andyinluton)

I would presume that the ECU monitors and controls the increased oil pressure and resets it after a period of running in.
how this is done, I do not know.

from VW guru :
“ The Euro 6 engine has a run in oil pressure up to 1500miles (2400km) the oil pressure in the engine runs at a constant 7bar to protect the engine. Then after that it goes variable as the engine is run in. So my advice would be trust what the vehicle tells you.”

edit from the thread :

“Yes it’s a bit messy but the consequences of ignoring coolant loss with a cracked cylinder head. Just one more thing to add make sure you ask when you collect your Cali if the engine control unit has been reset to engine run in oil pressure this should be carried out on all new Euro 6 engines when an engine, cylinder head or turbo has been replaced to protect the new components from initial wear. I have seen engines etc fitted and a few thousand miles later the engine fails because the run in pressure was not reset. Just get them to ask the tech that’s replaced the engine. It’s part of the repair instructions but you never know.”

Last edited:
Post #2, the link shows a post from VW Guru who confirms this.
he also confirmed in another post that the “running in “ pressures should be reset after major engine work. (As described by @andyinluton)

I would presume that the ECU monitors and controls the increased oil pressure and resets it after a period of running in.
how this is done, I do not know.
I havn't a clue how it does it, but would suspect its a pressure relief valve that triggers at a lower level after 1000k rather than the pump providing higher pressure for the first 1000k

Maybe that is also why the oil seems to run hotter than is normal when Cali is new. When My Cali was new the running oil temp was never below 100 C. Now (10k miles later) it is typically, 98 - 100 in town and 103/4 on motorways at the national speed limit.

Maybe that’s how it’s controlled? Thermostat on the relief valve. Pressure drops with reduced viscosity (increased temperature).

Never come across this before. More intel:research read. :confused:

Maybe that’s how it’s controlled? Thermostat on the relief valve. Pressure drops with reduced viscosity (increased temperature).

Never come across this before. More intel:research read. :confused:
Have a read of this

you may recognise one of the poster!

Here’s a couple of extracts from VW self study

1DD11465-5556-47D8-91E2-AD7FBCF79197.png

05459D11-824E-4FF7-B30C-3900C78D2258.png

00FB91B9-A5F3-4C54-91E4-63EC9FB551B4.png

36E33C59-4A63-4CCA-A6C6-6F5B946BB34E.png

126A9B29-15E6-4A35-83D8-DF2E3278B006.png

401E3CD0-B10D-4CFE-B0DB-3ECBCEF5F00D.png

Last edited:
I was told that a new one was driven hard and another sensibly. The difference reported was in MPG. I didnt hear about the relative oil consumption. That was what a dealer told me. Yes it is obvious. But I think what he was actually saying ? was that after ward no matter the driving the mpg variance remained....? no idea really but I assume more wear.

Is it Normal ? that is slightly subjectiv.

should you be happy with that usage ?

the engine when new is set to a higher oil pressure, which may cause more oil to be burnt / used. The pressure should reset to normal after a period. Keep an eye on it and report it to the dealer to put a “marker” so to speak in case of future issue (put it in writing) asking the dealers opinion?

When the engine is new it has greater moving resistance hence hotter when new cylinder piston rings are chrome plated and take time to bed into bores this is the running in process and expect oil consumption during this period the case for low rpm heavy load no! Fee running no heavy load pistons are oval and become round when up to temp in my opinion I change oil more frequently oil pressure is regulated by the relief valve so cold engine pressure is dropped until hot ie 10lb at idle example it’s better to use the engine normally to promote bedding in I found around 10k oil consumption should stop

Seems an elaborate way of controlling oil pressure. Doesn’t say anything about running in or what rpm/throttle positions trigger pressure changes.

I guess it’s a case of doing anything they can to improve fuel economy by reducing the power consumption of the pump.

Doesn’t say anything about running in or what rpm/throttle positions trigger pressure changes.
Apart from giving you a nice little graph that shows exactly what RPM triggers the pressure change.

Back