Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oh dear, more fake Calis on ebay

Yeah came across this the other day but realised the sliding door was on the wrong side straight away there's a few more I've seen. Someone's must be getting hold of crash damaged Calis and using the parts by the look of it

you can tell it's a fake as no mention of roof corrosion :(

This is not a fake California, the seller doesn't claim it to be California in the auction, and is very open about the conversion using a donor highline van. This is a clever conversion and possibly an improvement on the real thing given some of the clever storage in the photographs.

You won't use it as a getaway car, it's 102bhp :D

This is not a fake California, the seller doesn't claim it to be California in the auction, and is very open about the conversion using a donor highline van. This is a clever conversion and possibly an improvement on the real thing given some of the clever storage in the photographs.
Disagree, It is basically being sold as a Cali in my eyes, opening 2 words of the ad is "VW California" and in item specifics it says model "California". It should be marketed as a VW Campervan conversion, some VW California parts used i.e., roof, seats, parts of the kitchen etc. These California parts are god knows how old probably from a scrapper but it is implied it is as good as a genuine VW Cali when it definitely isn't. He is quite happy to ask virtually the same price as a used Cali. It is a 102 or 140hp not sure engine with a basic spec, he is misleading to say an equivalent Cali new would be circa £60k because it wouldn't. So, initial description says VW California but further on he explains his conversion, i still think this ad is very misleading especially when so many people looking for a Cali don't always know the genuine product specs.

I am actually amazed that VW continue to allow it and not brought a specimen action against either a seller or ebay.

How long before we see a member in here complaining that the LH side door on his "California" has failed, his manual roof is stuck, his 102PS engine can't get his vehicle up a hill and "California's" are rubbish, don't ever buy one.

I had spotted that one a week or so ago and to be fair it's a lot better than a lot of conversions I see done by "professional" converters however it's priced to high. Personally if I was spending that kind of money I would want either.... 1 a genuine cali or 2 a high spec conversion from a reputable converter with type approval. Don't get me wrong I'm all for building your own camper (I'd be a hypocritical if I wasnt) but It's difficult to get

I had spotted that one a week or so ago and to be fair it's a lot better than a lot of conversions I see done by "professional" converters however it's priced to high. Personally if I was spending that kind of money I would want either.... 1 a genuine cali or 2 a high spec conversion from a reputable converter with type approval. Don't get me wrong I'm all for building your own camper (I'd be a hypocritical if I wasnt) but It's difficult to get
I agree, just don't market it and price it as a Cali.

It right. We built what is basically a california beach using a caravelle executive as the base vehicle. In some ways our van is far higher spec than a genuine beach....
Heated seats
Genuine electric california roof
Twin electric sliding door
Hot water etc etc
we do full conversions on vans but I would never do a "cali knock off" or even retro fit a cali roof on a customers van (how can you offer a guarantee).

That's right Larry. We do "beach style" conversions for people, if they bring us a van we basically recreate a beach layout in it for them. However they know what they are getting and they are making an informed choice about what they are buying and because we are installing new parts we can offer a real guarantee.

Read the advert, pretty clear in the details this is a conversion, description may be misleading though, but not unusual for eBay, as sellers want to capture people using the search engine to find items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess California is becoming a generic term for VW camper vans, much like Hoover for vacuum cleaners.

Back