Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No Water.....Help!

T

Trotty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi Folks,

Just filled up my water tank for the summer, flipped the tap, the relay clicks and thats it. No noise from the pump and not a drop!!!

Called VW they said bring it in for diagnosis at a cost of £102, plus parts and labour once they understand whats wrong....Ouch

Can anyone give me a steer on this. The pump worked perfectly last year, I drained the tank completely for the winter and now its broke:(

So not fair (went out of warranty in March..Grrr)

Fingers crossed

Thirsty Steve

100% the pump has dried out and stuck

Yes you need to undo the water tank lid and reach in and lift the pump
Out and see if the impeller under the pump is stuck if so try and flick it free if it won't move you will need a new pump. Vw £125. Whale £15
The choice is yours

Could indeed be the pump got stuck , tip is to use the tap once a while when Cali not used...but probaly to late for you.
If you are handy , fix it yourself....open the tank and replace the pump , will save you lots of money.
Edit,
Beaten by Kev...:D

Thanks Guys, I think you might have saved me a 1'er at least. Looks like a job for tomorrow!

Best wishes

Steve

Beware that unscrewing the lid from the tank can be difficult , try the search function here on the forum to get to know the tips for that...;)

Your hardest job is getting the lid off. I removed the shelf at the back
And tapped it loose with a piece of wood and rubber mallet

Same happened to mine a few weeks ago. Followed Kev's advice and got a Whale pump of Ebay. Once the lid is off pretty simple job.

have you checked Fuse? or wait till evening i will updating full guide for how to fix and change pump.

We also had a jammed pump after the winter, very easy to replace, as mentioned above I think the key is to use the tap once a month whilst not in use.

Thanks to you all for the fantastic response. Im away in the Van at the minute and will be breaking in to the tank at my first opportunity!

Steve

If you are on the road you could try this.

Turn the tap on - suck on the tap / blow down the tap.

It might work if the impeller is just stuck - obviously you risk getting a mouth full of water! Might be worth doing when you are alone as you will look like a wally :)

Hi Trotty

I was in Bristol last weekend and could have helped you out but I've only just seen the post. This is the first year that my pump has worked after the winter without a bit of help! All I would add to CaliKev's advice is that if you don't get a result after flicking the impeller one way (and putting back in the water to test), then try flicking it the other way. Worked for me even though I think I was flicking it backwards the second time.

Good luck...............Mike

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for the response. It has been a great help. In the end The fault reminded me of a mate I went to school with who is a VW camper enthusiast and runs Luckwell Garge in Bristol. Jon sorted it out as well as polishing a scratch out and realigning my fuel cap. So thank you all and if anyone lives in the Bristol area and needs some work done give Jon a call at http://www.luckwellgarage.com

Hope to catch up with some of you later in the year.

Steve