Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New category

Ive moved over to fiat too, nothing special like Hymer but good old ex Swiss Post Ducato van with Dangel 4x4 and the rest is self build. Not quite finished yet after nearly a year but almost there..the finishing touches are taking a while..

Only downside comparing to a Cali is that these drive like vans and parking can be an issue. Cali's drive like cars an no issues.

so far Ive added..
100 ltres tank for fresh water
50 litres grey water tank
400 amp Lithium
300 amp Solar
2000w Inverter charger
AC and DC sockets
Flip down bed
Sky light, windows
Maxair Fan
Dometic 55 liter fridge / freezer

initial thoughts are that I made the right move for me but I do miss the luxury of driving the Cali.

added a few pics from a recent trip..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

22.jpg

Last edited:
c469e45fe9dd4177717e4159fd2fd362.jpg

That’s my Joker at the top of the world at the Furka pass
b6a286027d1d8c0f6ee1cd425d0a712b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive moved over to fiat too, nothing special like Hymer but good old ex Swiss Post Ducato van with Dangel 4x4 and the rest is self build. Not quite finished yet after nearly a year but almost there..the finishing touches are taking a while..

Only downside comparing to a Cali is that these drive like vans and parking can be an issue. Cali's drive like cars an no issues.

so far Ive added..
100 ltres tank for fresh water
50 litres grey water tank
400 amp Lithium
300 amp Solar
2000w Inverter charger
AC and DC sockets
Flip down bed
Sky light, windows
Maxair Fan
Dometic 55 liter fridge / freezer

initial thoughts are that I made the right move for me but I do miss the luxury of driving the Cali.

added a few pics from a recent trip..

View attachment 112518

View attachment 112519

View attachment 112520

View attachment 112521

View attachment 112522

View attachment 112527

View attachment 112526

View attachment 112528

Well done.
Looks great. Not many yellow Fiats… :cool:

plenty in Switzerland, they are the swiss post vans colour :D

I’m pleased this thread exists because we’ve moved on and we’re currently waiting for a new, slightly bigger, van to arrive. I do miss the Cali. but age, and the desire to avoid climbing into the roof or wandering about the campsite in the wee small hours prompted the change.

While I’m thinking has anyone any recommendations on places to source a new set of black wheels for the incoming Crafter based van. We’re Peak District based.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I’m pleased this thread exists because we’ve moved on and we’re currently waiting for a new, slightly bigger, van to arrive. I do miss the Cali. but age, and the desire to avoid climbing into the roof or wandering about the campsite in the wee small hours prompted the change.

While I’m thinking has anyone any recommendations on places to source a new set of black wheels for the incoming Crafter based van. We’re Peak District based.
I too am searching for a set of black wheels for a soon to be delivered GC600. Going to go with Michelin Agilis Cross Climate’s. Does anyone have any experience of the Tomahawk Kato alloys, particularly with Michelin Agilis?

You could try Rogue Alloys, they have a range to suit the Crafter.

I too am searching for a set of black wheels for a soon to be delivered GC600. Going to go with Michelin Agilis Cross Climate’s. Does anyone have any experience of the Tomahawk Kato alloys, particularly with Michelin Agilis?
The Tomahawk Kato’s are the dogs dangly bits.
Honestly. They look really great and nothing else compares to them.

The Michelins will be nice and quiet.
I have Comforser CF1100 on and are slightly noisy.

I have Michelin winters on Palmerstons for the winter.
9cb6dd16-f37a-4cac-aa77-599fc8c54012.jpeg

I feel in 5 years once the Cali is paid off, I’ll be looking for something for longer journeys and permanent shower & toilet.
I’ll keep the Cali as a daily, and local day tripper, as the 4Motion, awning and fridge are so convenient.

Really love the Hymer Vision Venture.
Isn’t released yet, or is it not going to put into production?

Try these guys near Bradford, just off the M 62. Bought a set of wheels and tyres from them, excellent service and quick too.

Thanks for the responses. For the wheels Reading is a bit far but IK at Bradford looks a good shout. Just need to clarify the sizes and then I can go shopping!

For tyres I don’t want the swamper look particularly. I’m a big fan of Vrederstein all weather tyres so I’ll probably go that way.

After that we need to sort some graphics to add character and break up the big bare panels a bit.

View attachment 113967
Cheers @Californication69. They look pretty awesome. Just had confirmation my new van has arrived at the dealer so I need to order the wheels and tyres.

Too slow @calikev - I was "Cali Now Sold" in 2016 - I waited for this category - but could wait no longer - so now I am "Cali now bought again!"

View attachment 113967

Standard suspension...?

Standard suspension...?
Yes Dude, I am very pleasantly surprised how great the MY23 4Motion suspension is.
Was worried, after having a MY21 204 FWD, that suspension was awful and made me feel like I was on a water taxi in Venice!

Gona try some

Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus 235/65 R17 108H XL​

On the Kato’s for the spring. See how they fare on the motorway…

I’m back on the 18” Palmerstons and full winters now.
I’d forgotten how nice and quiet the California is, on the M’way, at 70mph ;)

Yes Dude, I am very pleasantly surprised how great the MY23 4Motion suspension is.
Was worried, after having a MY21 204 FWD, that suspension was awful and made me feel like I was on a water taxi in Venice!

Gona try some

Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus 235/65 R17 108H XL​

On the Kato’s for the spring. See how they fare on the motorway…

I’m back on the 18” Palmerstons and full winters now.
I’d forgotten how nice and quiet the California is, on the M’way, at 70mph ;)

Hi, I’d suggest the Falken Wildpeak’s instead of the Pirelli’s. I’ve run both and with very similar tread pattern’s the Falkens are much much quieter! I’m running them now and am extremely pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in the right order. No 1 - Dethleffs our third van, No 2 - Frankia will be our 4th van, No 3 Burstner our second van, No 4 - Malibu lasted 50 miles after picking up, money returned.
9823CAD6-6DF4-445C-906B-DB5667708AE2.jpeg5CB3F9E3-C10D-44D7-9046-D5EED1CC4F5E.jpeg2B8F8EA6-8B7F-4088-9AA4-B342E3712C57.jpeg1CDA9DBA-52C9-4CCD-BE8C-AE1576BB325D.jpeg

Here's our second post Cali van, a Rapido V68 on a Fiat automatic. It's twin longitudinal beds (or giant double) with the usual dinette up front and four travel seats. A third bed can be made across the dinette, but we won't use that. The shower is separated from the loo/washbasin with a partition that swings open. Diesel or electric heating and hot water.

Like our previous van (Auto-Trail Expedition 67), this was a cancelled order. We were waiting for an Adria Twin but the delivery kept going back all the time, so when we had the opportunity to get this one we went for it. Would have preferred a compressor fridge but we were lucky to get what we got!

It's a bit longer than the Auto-Trail at 6.36m, but the extra length is hardly noticeable. Not as handy as the Cali, but it's nice to have the extra space!

Picked it up early December, only had a few nights at Oxon Hall near Shrewsbury (excellent site) so far.

Still miss our Cali though .... and this forum!

IMG_8148.JPG

Think you made a good choice @motacyclist getting the Rapido as I’ve read a lot about Adria fresh water pipe work issues and leaks.

Here's our second post Cali van, a Rapido V68 on a Fiat automatic. It's twin longitudinal beds (or giant double) with the usual dinette up front and four travel seats. A third bed can be made across the dinette, but we won't use that. The shower is separated from the loo/washbasin with a partition that swings open. Diesel or electric heating and hot water.

Like our previous van (Auto-Trail Expedition 67), this was a cancelled order. We were waiting for an Adria Twin but the delivery kept going back all the time, so when we had the opportunity to get this one we went for it. Would have preferred a compressor fridge but we were lucky to get what we got!

It's a bit longer than the Auto-Trail at 6.36m, but the extra length is hardly noticeable. Not as handy as the Cali, but it's nice to have the extra space!

Picked it up early December, only had a few nights at Oxon Hall near Shrewsbury (excellent site) so far.

Still miss our Cali though .... and this forum!

View attachment 117684
Enjoy Colin :thumb

What’s the deal with the Malibu…? Why did it go after just 50 miles…?
The engine went into limp mode and we had no option other than to leave the motorway and park up. Our confidence was shot but decided to give Fiat a couple of weeks to fix it. We heard nothing despite calling daily and finally we had no option other than to reject the van. We got all our money back without any issue from the dealer (they were really good). Five weeks later we got a call from Fiat letting us know the van as ready for collection!