Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Batteries not charging.

N

nottmhornet

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi and wondering if anyone can help with my battery charging issues.

I Bought two new batteries (fitted) from the VW Van dealer in Nottingham (I know this is the expensive options but wanted it done properly!). Long story but having had the van for a week and fitted them, they told me that the cube fuse on the rear battery was blown and they couldn’t replace it (one day before my holiday and after I’d asked them to look at that first). I managed to get a fuse fitted (in line on the lead as the motor electrician didn’t have a cube fuse) and thought all ok.

Drove to Glasgow (6 hours) and the leisure battery % charge dropped from 80% to 50% with only the fridge working set to 5C. Fridge turned off automatically and the voltage down to 12.3v. Most of the time on the road the readings showed a draw on the battery rather than any charge going into them.

I’m actually at the start of 10 days camping and the lack of fridge and heater is a major issue. Mainly wild camping too as most campsites are booked up and little to no chance of boosting the batteries with hook up. Things I’ve checked include;

New fuse on the rear leisure battery,
Fuse under the front passenger seat (both the 80 amp one and the 30 amp one thats for the leisure battery charger),
Both batteries (to make sure they had fitted the right ones).
Below is a picture of the control panels while driving (it has got the charger sign up but nothing going into the battery if my understanding of the readings is correct).

Has anyone any idea what could be going wrong? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

813FC213-9DF7-462A-A56E-44793DCEFFF9.jpeg813FC213-9DF7-462A-A56E-44793DCEFFF9.jpeg

I Bought two new batteries (fitted) from the VW Van dealer in Nottingham (I know this is the expensive options but wanted it done properly!). Long story but having had the van for a week and fitted them, they told me that the cube fuse on the rear battery was blown and they couldn’t replace it (one day before my holiday and after I’d asked them to look at that first). I managed to get a fuse fitted (in line on the lead as the motor electrician didn’t have a cube fuse) and thought all ok.

Drove to Glasgow (6 hours) and the leisure battery % charge dropped from 80% to 50% with only the fridge working set to 5C. Fridge turned off automatically and the voltage down to 12.3v. Most of the time on the road the readings showed a draw on the battery rather than any charge going into them.

I’m actually at the start of 10 days camping and the lack of fridge and heater is a major issue. Mainly wild camping too as most campsites are booked up and little to no chance of boosting the batteries with hook up. Things I’ve checked include;

Fuse under the front passenger seat (both the 80 amp one and the 30 amp one thats for the leisure battery charger),
Below is a picture of the control panels while driving (it has got the charger sign up but nothing going into the battery if my understanding of the readings is correct).

Has anyone any idea what could be going wrong? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

View attachment 83001View attachment 83001
The alternator is not charging the leisure batteries via the split charger relay.
1. Check the 100 amp fuse located in a fuse box located in front of or beneath the Engine Battery.
2. If the 100 amp fuse is OK then check the Split Charge relay located under front passenger seat RHD vehicle.

View attachment 83001View attachment 83001
Post 60 onwards.

What's that cube fuse for? Just wire it out

Really appreciate the reply. I will check the 100 amp fuse - I’d not thought of that. I have had a look at the fuse for the charger under the front passenger seat and looks ok. Not sure what I’d be looking for with the Split Charge relay but will have a look. To be honest it sounds like it might be something to do with this.
Have sorted the rear fuse I hope…..

Really appreciate the reply. I will check the 100 amp fuse - I’d not thought of that. I have had a look at the fuse for the charger under the front passenger seat and looks ok. Not sure what I’d be looking for with the Split Charge relay but will have a look. To be honest it sounds like it might be something to do with this.
Have sorted the rear fuse I hope…..
You need to test fuses. They can look good but still be failed

I will do that and thanks. Bought some spares so may just swop them out anyway.

Back