Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My collection of some non-standard Cali accessories

Some excellent accessories, i am interested where you obtained gas bottle, is it refillable or do you exchange it?
John

Loads of good stuff their, particularly the DIY pucer!!

Great ideas, many thanks.
G :thumb

Made this today to open my fresh water tank lid :thumb

IMG_20140109_172123.jpg

Hi,
The home made roof topper is a brilliant idea, I've thought of this myself. Because I'm not to sure the thermal material used by others is the best especially when there is a lot of different thicknesses available now.
Don't suppose you would care to share the dimensions you used if you still have them.

I don't have dimensions written down, it was a process of trials and errors. Anyway, a discovery of symmetrical quarters was essential to finish the job.
Check different materials at www.superfoil.co.uk , but don't underestimate the importance of packing and handling - I feel that the 6 mm foil is the best compromise, still giving enough insulation to use in freezing temperatures.

Regards,
Bostjan

Moving on to your next destination must be challenging with all that Ice and Snow on the Roof.
Great pics in the accessories gallery thanks for posting them.

great ideas.

- the boot Tiguan liner which one did you get (the one for raised load floor or deep load floor?)
- the Thule box on the bike rack: are you happy with it? Looks very comfortable. Would like to fit one on my original VW bike rack.

We owe Cali for two months and besides spending already 22 nights in it, we have collected some accessories, partly non-standard and unique DIY items. To inspire or to give some new ideas to the others here is a photo gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 99936790b9

Regards,
Bostjan
Thanks for sharing those neat ideas, I particularly like the roof mod in the last picture :thumb

That's a great post. Interested in those boot dryers can see that gadget being very handy indeed. Thanks for sharing :thumb

Did you do the foil on the windows yourself ?
Thats for me the thing that bothers me the most , not having privacy glass ( as i bought my Cali as a stockcar and did not get the choice of any options...
Thinking of getting them done with foil , but the sliding window needs to come out ...no?

A great post, thanks a lot!
So how exactly do you attach this selfmade outdoor topper? Does it take a lot of space to store the foil when not in use?

I am also looking at getting a cheaper Radio and perhaps an Android based entertainment system. But I was wondering if your parking sensors are still fully functional with a VW/Kenwood system.. can you still see the parking sensor display behind the steering wheel on the board computer, or is it just the sound that guides you?

Wow, I was away for a weekend (in the Cali, of course, hunting for some snowy slopes) and so many replies and questions.... I'll try to answer to all of them:
- I've had a VW Tiguan before, so it was my old boot liner - for a raised load floor.
- The Thule box on the bike rack works perfectly, it frees my living space. The only downside for me is when it is fully packed, it's heavy and it is hard to open back doors (e.g. opening gas valve for example). I've heard that for fitting to the original VW rack you need to drill some new holes.
- Boot dryers can be bought on-line, search for "thermic air"
- I did my windows foil in a local shop, I wouldn't dare to do it by myself. Foils work fine with both sliding windows (I have 2).
- The self made topper is attached easy due to a tight fit that holds it in place. For the final touch there is a heavy duty 3M velcro on both ends of the topper.
- I have sound only parking sensors, so it's completely independent system, not connected to the radio.

Best!

We owe Cali for two months and besides spending already 22 nights in it, we have collected some accessories, partly non-standard and unique DIY items. To inspire or to give some new ideas to the others here is a photo gallery:

Regards,
Bostjan

Regards,
Bostjan

Regards,
Bostjan
Hi Bostjan

Great post. Love the pictures, especially the roof shed! Still waiting for our Cali due in May

We're planning a few alpine snowboarding trips to the Alps next year so your accessories have given me some good ideas especially the roof cover and the boot warmer / drier. A few questions if you don't mind.

1. Can you through load skis/ snowboards in a Cali e.g under the rear seats?
2. Do you manage without elec hookup?
3. Are you running on winter tyres, 4motion, snow chains?
3. Any other essential alpine advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Phil

Phil, thanks.

1. It is possible to through load cca. 2 pairs of skis under the rear seats, but it is annoying to have part of skis in "a living room" interfering with cupboards. I suggest to use a roof box.
2. The fridge is the main consumer of electricity, the aux heater is less problematic, so we can easily manage to stay without a hookup 3 or even 4 winter days with the heater on most of the time (cca. 14 to 16 hours per day). I am still impressed about the concept of 2 aux batteries that I found as one of the strongest points of a Cali.
3. In alpine countries the dedicated winter tyres are obligatory so we don't even think not to have them. Yes, I am running on 4motion with snow chains as a backup only. However, if you plan to visit major resorts you shouldn't have problems with 2 wheels drive & winter tyres most of the time.
4. .... it is a little bit general question, but I would be happy to answer more specific issues.
My general recommendation would be - not be afraid of winter camping, it is a pleasure to do it with Cali down to -15C when some more annoying issues occur, most of them due to lack of a serious insulation. But it is rare to experience even more brutal temperatures in the Alps below 2000 m.

Oh, and there is one more thing.... The Airtronic Eberspacher aux heaters in our Calis work at altitudes up to 1500+ m. They are capable to work at higher elevations for shorter time, but for a serious winter use at some of the highest mountain passes or resorts in the Alps, you should upgrade it with the original Eberspacher High Altitude kit.
I did it through an Eberspacher service and I don't regret - http://www.heatso.com/eberspacher-high-altitude-kit-22-1000-33-2200/