Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motorhome WiFi, iBoost

4g is great; however, I'm in dispute over a £300 + bill from last month for "GPRS data" when I already pay each month for a large amount (10gb) of data. I won't go into details but I am trying to avoid using the mobile network for obvious reasons :mad:

Hi motorcyclist
That's great, thanks
I'll hit the Internet tomorrow and will let you know results!

Hi rich-s,
Nice find! I have been at your campsite with a relatively new cali just before you became a trade partner. Didn't know that you are into wireless networking that much! I did a bit of googling and found the MIKROTIK RBmAP2n to be a good match for the router used by the iBoost system.

Thanks Chris for the info on the Mikrotik. I hadn't ordered a router before seeing your post. So I ordered that one. A little more expensive than the TP-Link one, but has the advantage of POE out to power the Nanostation. It arrived today, so just need to spend a bit of time getting my head around the UI. I'm sure it is the same one used by iboost.

Did you use our wifi when you stayed with us? If so I hope it behaved. We had a third party company install and manage our previous system, but it became increasingly unreliable and their support shut at weekends and Bank Holidays (our busiest times). Therefore I decided to research and install my own. That way, if it doesn't work, the buck stops with me. I think it's pretty good, but we do suffer from country bumpkin broadband speeds, even though I have 2 Infinity lines feeding the system.

Hi Rich, thanks, yes, wireless was working ok when we were visiting. I haven't ordered any kit yet, still not sure whether to get iboost with their support or to get the slightly cheaper original kit. Please keep us updated how you get on.

Will do. Just haven't got around to playing with it yet. Interestingly the Mikrotik router board will inject POE at the same voltage as you power it with. The 240v transformer supplied outputs 24v, which is handy as most of the UBNT kit (nanostation) runs on 24v. Luckily in the Cali we have there inverter socket, so don't need to rely on 12v. I will keep you posted on how I get on. I think if I get it working on our own wifi, it should work anywhere, as ours is a two tier system, a secured network requiring a simple password to join before entering your paid for access code.

Ok, back to basics.
I haven't had time to get the iboost/fon combo sorted so will probably look into getting a Three contract for my wifi for this weekend. I'm hoping I can get sufficient data included to allow me to take a day 'off' on Monday and work from the campsite.
Any comments about doing it this way? Or should I be expediting the iboost idea?

Just checking out my holiday campsite.
What does it mean....5GHz equipment only? Will I be able to pick it up with my iPad and laptop, and work?!

WiFi broadcasts on two frequencies, the original 2.4gHz and more recently 5gHz. Recent iPads certainly have 5gHz, the iPad ir for sure and possibly earlier too. May be less successful with the laptop, unless it's a MacBook.

5gHz is an odd choice for a site as not only is it less common but has shorter range I believe. It does allow higher bandwidth but over shorter range.

I use it all the time at home because they is less interference form the neighbours on 5gHz.

Hi Rich, thanks, yes, wireless was working ok when we were visiting. I haven't ordered any kit yet, still not sure whether to get iboost with their support or to get the slightly cheaper original kit. Please keep us updated how you get on.
Pretty sure I've sorted it. You need to use the nano station as a router and the mikrotik as a bridge. I have managed to access our own system through it. I will report again when I've used it elsewhere. I would say if you are happy playing around with this sort of kit and the interfaces, then its not too much trouble. If you are worried about getting it wrong then maybe not for you. With the Mikrotik router option, the savings over Motorhome wifi are not quite so great, and of course you get their back up if you struggle.

Hi,

Having purchased an iBoost system a couple of months ago, I'm afraid I'm not having a great deal of success with it. Whilst I can see some "open" wifi spots to connect to via the interface when I perform a scan, the readings on the system (think they may be frequency?) are mainly high 80s/early 90s for them and latching on to them is almost impossible. To date, I've not had a signal strength where we could stream live TV successfully.

I just wonder whether I'm doing something wrong or whether my antenna isn't working properly? Someone has mentioned that they've had one LED illuminated on the antenna and they can still connect to the Internet - this isn't happening with ours so I wonder whether we need to alter some settings via the interface?

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards

Giles

Hi,

Having purchased an iBoost system a couple of months ago, I'm afraid I'm not having a great deal of success with it. Whilst I can see some "open" wifi spots to connect to via the interface when I perform a scan, the readings on the system (think they may be frequency?) are mainly high 80s/early 90s for them and latching on to them is almost impossible. To date, I've not had a signal strength where we could stream live TV successfully.

I just wonder whether I'm doing something wrong or whether my antenna isn't working properly? Someone has mentioned that they've had one LED illuminated on the antenna and they can still connect to the Internet - this isn't happening with ours so I wonder whether we need to alter some settings via the interface?

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards

Giles
Hi Giles, I think you refer to the signal strength readings which are expressed in dB as a negative figure. You should be looking for the lowest figure e.g. -75dB is better than -85dB.

Once you select it, you have to click on "change" then "apply" and the system will reboot.

After about a minute you should then try to connect to any website e.g. BBC News, the access point will then re-direct you to a login page where you have to enter your username and password for the BT or FON system. I note that when logging in to BT there are several options, e.g. as a Broadband customer or BT WiFi etc so you have to select the right one.

They recommend that you should have -80dB or better, but I have successfully streamed live TV on a signal strength of -86dB; and in the last couple of days was able to use FaceTime using an access point over 2 miles away; so it is a great system.

The people at Motorhome Wifi are very helpful and when I have emailed them the reply has been back in a couple of minutes, even out of hours; so if the problem persists contact them as the first resort.

Hope this helps.

As I write this I have just been watching Napoleon on the iPlayer on my iPad via the iBoost connected to a Fon Signal with a signal/noise reading of -88/-100. Perfectly watchable, just.

Hi Giles, I think you refer to the signal strength readings which are expressed in dB as a negative figure. You should be looking for the lowest figure e.g. -75dB is better than -85dB.

Once you select it, you have to click on "change" then "apply" and the system will reboot.

After about a minute you should then try to connect to any website e.g. BBC News, the access point will then re-direct you to a login page where you have to enter your username and password for the BT or FON system. I note that when logging in to BT there are several options, e.g. as a Broadband customer or BT WiFi etc so you have to select the right one.

They recommend that you should have -80dB or better, but I have successfully streamed live TV on a signal strength of -86dB; and in the last couple of days was able to use FaceTime using an access point over 2 miles away; so it is a great system.

The people at Motorhome Wifi are very helpful and when I have emailed them the reply has been back in a couple of minutes, even out of hours; so if the problem persists contact them as the first resort.

Hope this helps.
That's really helpful - thanks very much for the tips. I'll keep trying it out. Perhaps I've just been unlucky to date with the proximity of the nearest signal.

I have been in touch with Adam from Motorhome Wifi and he's been great today also in giving me a few tips including how to reset to factory settings just in case I've altered a setting by accident.

Off to try out the tips while the van is on our driveway now. Fingers crossed!

Regards

Giles

As I write this I have just been watching Napoleon on the iPlayer on my iPad via the iBoost connected to a Fon Signal with a signal/noise reading of -88/-100. Perfectly watchable, just.
Thanks WelshGas. Gives me hope that I should be able to achieve a connection with a signal of -83. Was concerned it needed to be -50 or better to get a decent connection but I've never seen anything like that on the scanning page (apart from the Iboost system itself!)

Regards

Giles

Giles, please let us know how you get on. I am in a field with a 3G midi, have also just taken out a contract and have 4g midi gizmo. Am not having much success with 3G (forgot my maps so thought I'd google them, but too slow), will try contract4g mifi later.
However would love to know if you are successful with iBoost....I'd have to also pay for Fon as I'm not a BT customer, but just want somthing to work...

No 3G or 4g reception on my mifi here, but have phone reception. Anyone any ideas?
Re iBoost: I have been told putting mifi or phone, etc on a tin box or on top of car/van would probably work better?!

With no offence intended. I'm not quite sure what you are getting at re iboost. The Iboost system, whether you buy their own solution, or the individual components yourself, is not a 'snake oil' solution. The Ubiquiti Nanostation that is used is high quality professional standard hardware. I think comparing it to putting your iphone on a tin box is a bit like comparing a mobile phone to 2 bean cans and a taut piece of string.

No 3G or 4g reception on my mifi here, but have phone reception. Anyone any ideas?
Re iBoost: I have been told putting mifi or phone, etc on a tin box or on top of car/van would probably work better?!

Radio Frequency propagation is an inexact art. Reception at any one place is dependent a number of things, such as the distance you are away from the transmitter and the rf 'noise' that is about. In an isolated area you may well pick up the WiFi station some kilometers away using a directional aerial. In a town the same signal and aerial may only pull in a signal from a few metres away. The same applies to 3G and 4G signals.

The frequency in use also affects the propagation. Low frequencies with long wavelength travel further, i.e Radio 4 on 198 Mhz can be heard in Northern Europe. High frequencies with short wavelengths get absorbed sooner so travel shorter distances. WiFi, 3G and 4G are all high frequencies with short wavelengths.

The weather can also affect propagation.

I had been using my iBoost successfully last year until we stayed on a municipal site in a French town. Ranged across in front of me were 4 vans with dishes up shooting over our Cali at the satellite in the sky behind us. I could not get any signal on my Wifi even though we were in a big town. It was blocked by the transmissions from these dishes.

Having a directional aerial pointing in the right direction outside the tin box of the Cali is always going to give you the best chance on any network, but cannot be guaranteed.

RF I understand. Computers...now that whole is a different matter.

Alan

Giles, please let us know how you get on. I am in a field with a 3G midi, have also just taken out a contract and have 4g midi gizmo. Am not having much success with 3G (forgot my maps so thought I'd google them, but too slow), will try contract4g mifi later.
However would love to know if you are successful with iBoost....I'd have to also pay for Fon as I'm not a BT customer, but just want somthing to work...
Hi Dottie,

Well I managed to reset the iboost and having placed the antenna outside (positioned on drivers window with the cable running through the open sliding door) I managed to lock on to a BT Fon spot 0.2 miles away. Signal was good/strong enough to watch streamed TV on an iPad.

The "reset" definitely helped I think as prior to that the wifi signal (iPad connected to the iboost) was generally dropping a lot. I just wonder whether one of the settings had been changed. Having the antenna positioned outside the van (mounted externally on a window) has also probably helped.

regards

Giles

Thanks for all the advice in this thread regarding the iboost. I have purchased the same items (in order to save money). Would anyone be able to take screenshots/photos of their configuration of their iboost, so that I can replicate this on my equipment.

many thanks,
steven.

All I've ever done is just followed the instructions that come with the iBoost.
1. Connect aerial to iBoost and fix aerial to window, inside or outside and point towards possible WiFi source - Camp Reception or houses.
2. Plug in iBoost to power.
3. Connect iPad or Laptop or phone to iBoost WiFi signal using password on side of unit.
4. Log into iBoost setup page using Name and password detailed in instructions
5. Scan for WiFi signals. Select signal
6. Input Password for a secure signal e.g.: Campsite Wifi password, or just continue fora n unsecured signal e.g. Fon signal
7. Select Change and then Apply
8. Surf WWW. If using a Fon signal you have to put in your Fon username/password. If you are a BT broadband customer that is usually your BT broadband login details.

The software is already setup and Hardwired. Just follow instructions.

The software is already setup and Hardwired. Just follow instructions.

Thanks for the reply. However, I did not order the iboost from motorhomewifi - I purchased the individual compenents from ubiquiti and mikrotik themselves. I have a technical background, so am happy playing around with the settings etc, but was just hoping to take a shortcut.

regards,
steven.

Ah. I see. I don't have that sort of technical ability . That's why I bought the iBoost to use the companies technical ability and support.:thumb

That is a great idea, I use a Mifi router in the UK, but as we are tempted to move out further a field. This looks like a good solution.