Motorhome WiFi, iBoost

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
On my way to Nordkapp I've been using the iBoost supplied by Motorhome WiFi in conjunction with my iPad to keep in touch with home and update my Forum Thread " Countdown Begins ". It has worked faultlessly. Most sites have got free WiFi but normally with limited coverage. On the campsite I'm on at present they cover the fixed campsite areas and the Restaurant. Not the camping field where I am, but with the powered aerial and iBoost router powered off the 12v I can lock on to their signal even though I am some way from the Restaurant and then connect the iPad to the iBoost wirelessly, in fact upto 8 connections to the iBoost can be made.
I cannot pick up the campsite WiFi with my iPad or Phone from the California.
The aerial is mounted on the door and is directional with LED indicators on the back for signal strength and the simple software interface accessed from the iPad makes it easy to set up
image.jpg image.jpg

The box on the window is my Sound System loaded with 480hrs of music to keep me company.

Looks like a useful gadget; in fact, sounds like it might be become indispensable ... :thumb

Definitely a keeper. So now I think I'll see about positioning it properly and getting a shorter Ethernet cable to connect the aerial and router as it comes with a standard 5m cable that is too long.
I remember there was a post before about a similar gadget that contained a SIM card and the poster hard wired it in but I want mine removable rather than fixed. I will probably use Velcro on the side of the kitchen unit.
I am impressed with it. Also it can easily latch onto a Fon signal for free WiFi, if you're a BT broadband customer it is free and if not you can join the Fon system for a one off £30 charge. The Fon system is widely available in France, Spain etc and UK.

OK, you talked me into it. Just ordered one :thumb

Can you point us to where you can join the ton system for the one off charge? I only seem to be able to find BT sign ups for for so much for a day or 5 days etc.

Thx.

http://fonera.fon.com

You buy the Fon router, I think you can use PayPal, and you become a member. The Fon router plugs into your router and becomes a Fon spot. It does not compromise your system but can be a wireless extender for your system as it has 2 WiFi signals, a private 1 for you, secured, and the Fon signal for other Fon members. However once you set it up and registered it you can switch it off if you wish or concerned. Mines on all the time and extends the broadband into the garden. Depends where you site it. Support is good. Read the FAQ's for more information. Have fun.

Thanks. Looks a very interesting solution. Free hotspots for a one time fee. Couldn't be better!

Found a new spot for the aerial.image.jpg

Very interesting thread.
What make of sound system are you using?

Eureka! Moved to a different spot in the field and managed to log in to BT Openzone. Only one LED lit but it's working!

Can anyone recommend a 3G / 4G booster?

Reserves: not quite sure what you have in mind. Our 4g router has ports for an external aerial and this is very effective.

We have such a system in our office, it's called a Femcell. It works by connecting to the Cellular system via the Internet, so is no use in a motorhome.

I think there may be other illegal ways of doing it, be interesting if anyone can provide more details on this.

It's a shame cellphones no longer come with the capability of attaching an external aerial.

I think our posts went out simultaneously Larkrise! That's an interesting suggestion

Sorry if I confused things :)

I have a great tethering plan on my mobile, so I'd rather my mobile than WiFi as it's all included in my plan.

Obviously some campsites / spots have better mobile signal than others.

I was looking for something that would boost the signal in the Cali so I had more chance of a good 3G / 4G mobile signal

The problem is often that campsites are in remote places so 3G is very weak. We have done best with Three (3) but in western Scotland even that was struggling on the islands.

Sorry if I confused things :)

I have a great tethering plan on my mobile, so I'd rather my mobile than WiFi as it's all included in my plan.

Obviously some campsites / spots have better mobile signal than others.

I was looking for something that would boost the signal in the Cali so I had more chance of a good 3G / 4G mobile signal

I actually have both the iBoost from MotorhomeWiFi and a 3G/4G Mifi style setup with an amazing aerial booster called a Netgear Aircard. (£30ish on everybody's favourite online retalier)

I have the fussy iBoost in a drawer ready to setup if required, but my MiFi is active permanently, I have the EE Buzzard 1 (car wifi) plugged into the 12v socket in the boot, and then the dual aerial Netgear Aircard rubber suckered to my rear window.

Both of these products have the same drawback though, if there is no signal to boost... you are still on your own, but TBH, this is rare with both options covered.

I actually have both the iBoost from MotorhomeWiFi and a 3G/4G Mifi style setup with an amazing aerial booster called a Netgear Aircard. (£30ish on everybody's favourite online retalier)

I have the fussy iBoost in a drawer ready to setup if required, but my MiFi is active permanently, I have the EE Buzzard 1 (car wifi) plugged into the 12v socket in the boot, and then the dual aerial Netgear Aircard rubber suckered to my rear window.

Both of these products have the same drawback though, if there is no signal to boost... you are still on your own, but TBH, this is rare with both options covered.
oh - and I have an O2 tethering plan on my mobile in case that is my only option :)

The problem is often that campsites are in remote places so 3G is very weak. We have done best with Three (3) but in western Scotland even that was struggling on the islands.

That's why I'm looking for a signal booster :)

That is the problem. Many campsites out in the countryside, here or abroad, may not have good mobile signals but the campsite provides WiFi over a landline connection. Often this Free WiFi is limited to the Reception area. With theiBoost you can connect to it over a km away and connect numerous devices simultaneously.

That is the problem. Many campsites out in the countryside, here or abroad, may not have good mobile signals but the campsite provides WiFi over a landline connection. Often this Free WiFi is limited to the Reception area. With theiBoost you can connect to it over a km away and connect numerous devices simultaneously.

I'm afraid I will need to disagree with you.

Don't get me wrong, I would love this to be true, but I wouldn't want forum members to buy an iBoost at £160 and think they are going to connect to a wifi network within a kilometre of them, there are too many other factors to consider.... but for sure you have a better chance of connecting to a functioning network that is just out of range of your portable device.

Equally, I often find that setting up the iBoost just gives me a more stable connection to a network than I can get through my portable devices alone.