Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motorhome & Caravan Show 2015

I liked the Hymer Car.

Fiat Ducato SWB and LWB panel van with a 6ft head room, fixed folding bed and an option of a pop top with another double bed.

Only 103 BHP so slightly under powered I suspect.

Alan

I liked the Hymer Car.

Fiat Ducato SWB and LWB panel van with a 6ft head room, fixed folding bed and an option of a pop top with another double bed.

Only 103 BHP so slightly under powered I suspect.

Alan

I keep looking at Hymer, auto sleeper and all the compact PVC's ... drooling over the room, the features etc.

Then I think about weeks like this week, cruising on French Autoroutes at an effortless 75mph, ducking through the tolls clearing 2m height barriers, squeezing down narrow streets, the tight turn from one narrow street into another, almost too tight for Albert's sub 5m length, a close run thing but impossible in anything any longer, the places that I've been to barely able to accommodate a large car, and above all the mechanical integrity of the whole thing... including a "whoops :oops:" over a speed hump that successfully rearranged all the loose interior contents.

I agree with you though, for drool-appeal, they are very very nice and if, God forbid, I was to ever get sensible then that's the way I will go.

I don't disagree with all of that for the two of us Jen. We went from Cherbourg to Bilbao to catch the Koons retrospective before it closed and then back to Bordeaux to meet up with the family this year. Easy in the van with a DSG box and a Bip and Go thingy on the windscreen.

Unfortunately we were also loaded with tents, duvets and pillows for two additional families and grand children who flew out... and having to move it all to sleep. Hence looking at bigger vans.

We ended up thinking towing a small Eriba van with a bed permanently made up as a private space may be an option!

However, will stay with the Cali and get the family to drive out to join us in future, citing age. Will be a cheaper option.

Alan

Just came back from the show..... didn't found a VW T5 conversion better than the Cali...... but....... I love the Hymer... really impressed.

First chance to report back after our first ever visit!

Really enjoyed our day out at the show. Some fantastic vehicles on show. From a VW perspective, we were really impressed by the Westfalia conversions. Certainly something we'd consider if we were to ever change from the Cali. Had to chuckle at the Concorde's on show. As we're unlikely to become Hollywood superstars anytime soon, pretty unlikely we'll have need of one to be honest ;)

Best thing for us though was the chance to bump into some of the overseas site owners who were there. We're thinking of a Swiss trip next year and had a chat with the lovely Heidi Blatter from Camping Hobby 3 who may well have persuaded us to put Interlaken on our stop over list. Thought I'd include a link for anyone else interested.

http://www.campinghobby.ch/pages/en/raquo-welcome.php

Last edited:
First chance to report back after our first ever visit!

Really enjoyed our day out at the show. Some fantastic vehicles on show. From a VW perspective, we were really impressed by the Westfalia conversions. Certainly something we'd consider if we were to ever change from the Cali. Had to chuckle at the Concorde's on show. As we're unlikely to become Hollywood superstars anytime soon, pretty unlikely we'll have need of one to be honest ;)

Best thing for us though was the chance to bump into some of the overseas site owners who were there. We're thinking of a Swiss trip next year and had a chat with the lovely Heidi Blatter from Camping Hobby 3 who may well have persuaded us to put Interlaken on our stop over list. Thought I'd include a link for anyone else interested.

Alternatively have a look at http://www.camping-jungfrau.ch/en/ueber_uns/default.asp?Kategorie=Aktuell. Been there twice, 2 years ago (not in a Cali) and 23 years before that (European tour in my beetle after uni!). Stunning location and v easy access to Jungfrau, Wengen, Murren etc.

We're thinking of a Swiss trip next year and had a chat with the lovely Heidi Blatter from Camping Hobby 3 who may well have persuaded us to put Interlaken on our stop over list. Thought I'd include a link for anyone else interested.

Interlaken is an amazing area, I was there last weekend. There are hundreds of camping sites all around there, and for all budgets. From people offering their gardens to all bells and whistles, EHU and wifi. A few years ago I also camped at the base of the Eiger north wall in Grindelwald, stunning location.

The only "problem" in that area is the quantity of Asian tourists. It's a major destination on their Europe in 14 days schedule :)

If you need any tips for Switzerland, just PM me, or start a Swiss tour thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back