Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED Daytime Running Lights - Turning them off?

Goldie

Goldie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have the Xenons with LED daytime running lights and although they are great on the roads I wish you could turn them off on site. I wanted to run the heater one night, as I haven't got an auxiliary heater in my Beach and wasn't on hookup, and as soon as you turn the ignition on the the LEDs light up shining brilliant white light everywhere. I'm sure owners with the heater and the SE have the same issue if they want to charge the battery or slip out the campsite early in the morning in stealth mode.

Anyone else think this is a problem or done something to overcome it?

Andy

Using the aux. heater in a SE you don't need to turn the egnition on ( not even have to have the key in ....) so no problems with the lights....
It is not a good idea to run the engine on site just for heating , imo .
The downsite of not having a aux. heather i guess .

As it is now an EU legal requirement - Ignition ON - DRL ON, then I presume the only way to switch them off is via the Diagnostic computer software but that would have them On or Off permanently.
An Auto electrician may be able to do something to make them switchable but could mean Canbus errors when Off.

Using the aux. heater in a SE you don't need to turn the egnition on ( not even have to have the key in ....) so no problems with the lights....
It is not a good idea to run the engine on site just for heating , imo .
The downsite of not having a aux. heather i guess .
Yeah, it's not often that you need a heater in a Beach in NZ, only when the wife starts whingeing and I like to keep her happy. And yes I do know the SE has an auxiliary heater and somehow knew you would be the first to remind me, even though I acknowledged that in my post.

Andy

Last edited:
Was the first becouse i was up early this morning...
Did not( specific ) wanted to be a smart-ass by pointing out the SE had a aux.heather but more pointing out you don't need to turn the ignition on for using it and the daylights switching on at the same time;)
You gave that impression in the OP.

Am I right in saying that the beach does have the auxiliary heater (webasto -which heats the coolant) and it's the 2nd parking heater (air) that it doesn't have.

The webasto heater cuts in at temperatures below 4 degrees c to help heat the engine but I've seen it's possible to get this converted to remote control to use anytime. This would be like running your engine to stay warm without the dangers or fuel costs etc of actually starting the van.

I think the cost is around £300 but if anyone knows more about this feel free to correct me.

I know that didn't answer the original daytime running lights question. On a golf, with normal halogen drls, it's possible to switch them off by doing something like pulling the flasher stalk whilst turning the key ... I can't remember the exact details but I did it on our last 2010 golf and the instructions were in the handbook.

The DRLs must be fused, find that and the problem is solved?

Alan

Am I right in saying that the beach does have the auxiliary heater (webasto -which heats the coolant) and it's the 2nd parking heater (air) that it doesn't have.

The webasto heater cuts in at temperatures below 4 degrees c to help heat the engine but I've seen it's possible to get this converted to remote control to use anytime. This would be like running your engine to stay warm without the dangers or fuel costs etc of actually starting the van.

I think the cost is around £300 but if anyone knows more about this feel free to correct me.
http://www.electritech.co.uk/store/114-Volkswagen-T5-Auxiliary-Heater-Parking-upgrade-kit.html

I have the Xenons with LED daytime running lights and although they are great on the roads I wish you could turn them off on site. I wanted to run the heater one night, as I haven't got an auxiliary heater in my Beach and wasn't on hookup, and as soon as you turn the ignition on the the LEDs light up shining brilliant white light everywhere. I'm sure owners with the heater and the SE have the same issue if they want to charge the battery or slip out the campsite early in the morning in stealth mode.

Anyone else think this is a problem or done something to overcome it?

Andy
You could think about getting this fitted.

http://www.electritech.co.uk/store/114-Volkswagen-T5-Auxiliary-Heater-Parking-upgrade-kit.html

Last edited:
Thanks Welshgas.

That looks like you are opening the vents and air channels to the windscreen before turning off the ignition, meaning the heat will go there through natural convection/circulation when the heater kicks in. Without the ignition on and the fan running the heat won't be forced out.

Running the heater fans on max without running the engine would risk a flat battery.

Previously discussed here. http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/retrofit-parking-heater-discussion.4183/page-5

The snorkel looks interesting for those who must have that sort of thing, but not for me:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks Welshgas.

That looks like you are opening the vents and air channels to the windscreen before turning off the ignition, meaning the heat will go there through natural convection/circulation when the heater kicks in. Without the ignition on and the fan running the heat won't be forced out.

Running the heater fans on max without running the engine would risk a flat battery.

Previously discussed here. http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/retrofit-parking-heater-discussion.4183/page-5

The snorkel looks interesting for those who must have that sort of thing, but not for me:eek:
Sorry about incorrect link - now sorted.

I would take issue about the heating system fan flattening the engine battery quit so quickly. If so why do VW have the "REST" function on the Climatronic system, that will keep the Front and Rear fans on for upto 30mins using the residual heat in the engine coolant. Also see here, bottom Page 1

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=191157

Sorry about incorrect link - now sorted.

I would take issue about the heating system fan flattening the engine battery quit so quickly. If so why do VW have the "REST" function on the Climatronic system, that will keep the Front and Rear fans on for upto 30mins using the residual heat in the engine coolant. Also see here, bottom Page 1

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=191157
Threads gone off at a tangent now, it was really about the LEDs and not the heater, but interesting none the less! I think 20 -30 minutes would be fine ONCE, but I suggest to use this system as a substitute for a parking heater would not work and its not designed to do that. In the Beach the power would come from the main battery and I wouldn't want to risk flattening the battery, is it the same for the SE? I gather you have two auxiliary batteries so power source may be different.

If I fit a heater I will go for a proper retrofit as many on here have done.

The proper Parking heater uses the Leisure Batteries.

As far as the LEDs are concerned an Auto Electrician might be able to insert a switch but might give CANBUS errors which might or might not be latching in nature ie: Need Diagnostic Computer to switch off warning light. All you can do is try.

One other thing. If you switch on Side Lights ONLY then this switches off the DRLs. The side lights are only 5w , but you will have the rear, red, sidelights on as well.

The proper Parking heater uses the Leisure Batteries.

As far as the LEDs are concerned an Auto Electrician might be able to insert a switch but might give CANBUS errors which might or might not be latching in nature ie: Need Diagnostic Computer to switch off warning light. All you can do is try.

One other thing. If you switch on Side Lights ONLY then this switches off the DRLs. The side lights are only 5w , but you will have the rear, red, sidelights on as well.

No canbus error but maybe bulb failure warning light. But that would self correct once they were switched back on. The canbus is not responsible for bulb monitoring. Communications only.

I would really like to be able to do a few other things without turning the DRL's on - like adjusting the electric windows or using the wipers or reading the outside temperature.
All these require ignition on & hence turn on the very bright DLR's (& sometimes start the engine heater system too), which can be a nuisance.
In the "good old days" there was an "accessories" position on the ignition switch for this sort of thing.
Seems to have disappeared now...

EDIT: After 3 years, I just found out I can display outside temperature on the Control Panel without needing ignition! Duh...

Last edited:
I was sitting in my van today in front of a window, and decided to play with
the light switch.
Did you know that if you turn it to the right, to side lights, then the ultrabright LEDs dim., to what seems half as bright.
Only problem is , when you switch off the ignition, they stay on, and you get the warning ding .
If you switched them on before putting on the ignition, you would get the dim light.....might help a little

It's not much help but with side lights on the DRL on my van turn off. They are still lit but they are much dimmer than the DRL.

In answer to Andy's initial query it is possible to switch off DLRs, either by having the garage code them as off (but this costs money), by removing the bulbs (but check in your handbook first that they do not have a dual function), or more simply by removing the fuses (as Alan suggested). There are 2 x 5-amp fuses for the DLRs (one for each side). The fuses are located under a cover beneath the cup holders on the front dash. The cover can be removed using a small coin, slotted screwdriver or the end of the ignition key. If you are looking towards the fuse box (you might need a torch) on an SE Cali you will see there are 5 horizontal rows of fuses. The 2 fuses you are looking for are at the right hand end of the second row from the bottom (above a silver screw head). Look carefully and you will see that they are numbered 12 and 14. Use the white miniature pliers supplied within the fuse box to remove the fuses and store them safely!. Turn on the ignition and hopefully there will be no lights shining on your neighbours on the campsite. This will not result in a warning light on the dash for a defective light and is not an MOT failure. Its such a quick and easy job that you could have the DLRs activated whilst driving and deactivated whilst camping thereby having the best of both worlds. Hope this works with a Beach.

Back