Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Was speaking with a sales rep at Liverpool VW today as I'm looking to buy. I asked about the bellows issue and he must have said about 6 times while replying that bellows are 'water resistant' only, they never were, aren't supposed to be, and never will be waterproof. Hmm. Okay. Not impressed with that nonsense frankly.

We can think of it this way:

Either

We are incompetent, in that we design/spec a pop top roof without designing/speccing that it be waterproof.

OR

We are incompetent, in that we have no QA process for ensuring that products designed/specced to be waterproof actually are.

Was speaking with a sales rep at Liverpool VW today as I'm looking to buy. I asked about the bellows issue and he must have said about 6 times while replying that bellows are 'water resistant' only, they never were, aren't supposed to be, and never will be waterproof. Hmm. Okay. Not impressed with that nonsense frankly.

We can think of it this way:

Either

We are incompetent, in that we design/spec a pop top roof without designing/speccing that it be waterproof.

OR

We are incompetent, in that we have no QA process for ensuring that products designed/specced to be waterproof actually are.
Bought mine from there. We’re great during the sales process, of course. But when less than a month after delivery (June 23) it leaked really badly and I complained the immediate and repeated response from them was the roof is only supposed to be showerproof. So gave up on them.

I'm really sorry to hear your news.

VW must surely be at the point where they put a hold on replacing any more bellows until they change the design or sort out the manufacturing issues.

At the very least they should be offering you a significant goodwill gesture to recognise the amount of your time they have wasted. And I would be pushing them to supply you with a free topper that you can use in bad weather until they are confident they have a solution.

Finally I would be insisting they give you approval to use Fabsil or Aqua Tex as an interim solution, again until they can fix the design/manufacture.
Thank you this is really good advice

Back