Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Late April - early June France/Alps

RockinNRollin

RockinNRollin

Where to next?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Looking to do our first European trip in our Cali next year. Probably have two weeks to throw at it and planning a bit of a circular through France including a week or just under in the French (probably) Alps. Trying to decide if to leave end of April and return mid May (potentially quieter? But weather? Other issues?) or leave mid May and come back start of June (busier and warmer?). Does much happen with the weather and popularity over that period or is it all a bit of a muchness?

Cheers

Check when the schools close. In my experience it's always easier to travel around France when the kids are in school. Each region will have different dates though.
I travelled 2nd week of May this year for 2 weeks mainly around the Loire Atlanique area down towards Bordeaux and had very good weather. In September spent another 2 weeks in the Bourgogne region. Again avoiding school holidays. No problems finding parkups, campsites or Aires and the weather was great except for a night of heavy rain when I discovered my bellows leaked.
It always surprises me how big France is, so unless you enjoy road trips you will be doing a lot of driving. The Peage speeds up the transit but is very unrewarding. Not a problem if you can share the driving but something to consider with only 2 weeks. I had the most fun when I arrived in an area and spent a leisurely few days exploring the local sights and towns.

Check on campsite availability in Alp area as you may find that it's between the winter and summer period of opening for many.
Those that are open may have partial facilities only operating before June.

In the days that I toured, with a caravan on tow, it was never more than a general plan as to holiday location as it was a case of going where the weather forecast was best.
Could stay home in UK for bad weather.

It is a very beautiful, fascinating region. We have no problem with crowds because we’re used to it: two school-age children and a wife as kindergarten teacher ensure that all my trips are during the school holidays :D However, I do welcome the fact that as many as possible go travelling outside the school holidays, so everything is a bit more spread ;)
Anyway, I don't think the crowds will make the difference in the Alps, but being able to get through everything will be. Therefore I would recommend the second period (mid May-start of June). Best look it up on the internet how the conditions are ‘usually’ in the Alps in those periods.
IMG_2386.jpeg
Alps, July 2022

Last edited:
We have been to the Alps many times, end of May, early June. Under this link a Polarsteps trip report from last year, to give you an idea.

Nice and quiet period, but the higher passes can still be closed, sometimes not opening before half of June.

Down: "They are opening! - Let's go"
ABLVV849okRCG4_OuHxJ50ROcV6-ZkGadfgo3xjbXlJSOknclancfaO12nXEevThcRyuTeaMPf5tbSzuPb3LcJnCfhSnxWmEQHpomCh1KwogFpqh5ONbTKTNvpFVxKbmCayG9wohVLO7n8lNhrhZahVnhn2hCw=w2100-h1400-s-no

On the way up...:
ABLVV863bomVkBPp_XU-RuZizcJjxZqDbS3eDXCILF-MCtw_zOHBqk9tefPzJ6t8zXnSLLTO7otbY2EyOUk1AoC2opYYkE-37Na9tcR2WB-7baR0uVuif66Zd6bkIkGyWRVtey7jaYN6YQgJvnUAu7jF6N2wMw=w2100-h1400-s-no

On top: no visibility at all... Like our visit to the Cliffs of Moher, long ago... :)
ABLVV85hxOD_hAEOyr3_V7rLXkuPz1QOR27ZIDAv5ICgKT1VStxC3qc-HwBGxwoVaNpP9fp_OJUVseyjwXwu3FxuwWpOsiBk58YZX3TV8WLyW8_0pNeQTTYksXRRJH_DkHUd-2eMf-HgOFJ5OdS7cwH3-9VhrQ=w2016-h1344-s-no

Last edited:
Cheers everyone, we've decided to go last week of May / first week of June, with the Alps being at the end of the trip - hopefully that'll net us some slightly better weather! Spending roughly 7 days getting there via Loire / Massif Central etc., then tank back home fairly directly at the end of the holiday.

Now to try and locate decent campsites . . .

Cheers everyone, we've decided to go last week of May / first week of June, with the Alps being at the end of the trip - hopefully that'll net us some slightly better weather! Spending roughly 7 days getting there via Loire / Massif Central etc., then tank back home fairly directly at the end of the holiday.

Now to try and locate decent campsites . . .
I found the ASCI ones offer basic facilities in nice locations for an excellent price depending on the facilities. Very peaceful in mid May which is definitely mid-season.
Had these two sites all to myself
IMG_5666.JPGIMG_5597.JPG

On top: no visibility at all... Like our visit to the Cliffs of Moher, long ago... :)
ABLVV85hxOD_hAEOyr3_V7rLXkuPz1QOR27ZIDAv5ICgKT1VStxC3qc-HwBGxwoVaNpP9fp_OJUVseyjwXwu3FxuwWpOsiBk58YZX3TV8WLyW8_0pNeQTTYksXRRJH_DkHUd-2eMf-HgOFJ5OdS7cwH3-9VhrQ=w2016-h1344-s-no
Similar to my view crossing the Grossglockner in June. I’d waited days, but had to get to Lake Bled for prearranged site. I was gutted.