key fob security

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I've heard a rumour that with the vin number and a bit of cheek a copy of your van key can be made. now wether this is true or not I'm taking no chances so I cover it with a piece of card. I use black so it doesn't reflect in the windscreen. someone told me it was illegal to cover the vin number but I don't believe that. I mean my old car had the vin under the bonnet!!. I will risk a policeman telling me off but until then mines covered with easy access from inside.

20170602_162039.jpg

20170602_162029.jpg

I have slide a of black carton in there been telling this on the forum for a while now in a other topic
Guess if they want your they take it , but no need to give it away.

I've heard a rumour that with the vin number and a bit of cheek a copy of your van key can be made. now wether this is true or not I'm taking no chances so I cover it with a piece of card. I use black so it doesn't reflect in the windscreen. someone told me it was illegal to cover the vin number but I don't believe that. I mean my old car had the vin under the bonnet!!. I will risk a policeman telling me off but until then mines covered with easy access from inside.

View attachment 22380

View attachment 22381
You need the Vin and V5c registration document in U.K. Even then the key has to be coded to the vehicle for it to work.

There are many criminal ways to get the keyless entry code and simpler ways to get a Surf Key.

Better cover the registration plate as well as that is coded to your VIN as well.

IMG_0339.PNG

I know it shouldn't be that easy to get a key. but when I paid 40 large for my van I'll stick to being paranoid. I have now removed my number plates