Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just a small annoyance...

B

BuieBodach

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
OK, it's maybe a bit of a first world problem, but the slatted panel above the front seats, which slides back to give access to the upper bed, joogles its way open as we drive. I'm having to slide it closed again, quite frequently, not just for OCD reasons but because it lets in a lot of wind noise. Is there some knack to keeping it closed? (And if the Cali is trying to compete with me on wind noise, it's onto a loser.)

No knack to it. I put some velcro in the front of it and that keeps it shut.

Ive seen some users have it go away after suspension/wheel upgrades but that's much more expensive and not guaranteed.

I went for the Velcro option which worked perfectly until I got the roof liner, now it‘s a snug fit

OK, it's maybe a bit of a first world problem, but the slatted panel above the front seats, which slides back to give access to the upper bed, joogles its way open as we drive. I'm having to slide it closed again, quite frequently, not just for OCD reasons but because it lets in a lot of wind noise. Is there some knack to keeping it closed? (And if the Cali is trying to compete with me on wind noise, it's onto a loser.)
It's a feature I'm afraid.

I managed to solve that problem to a great degree.
I put on some felt tape along the runners, from the back to the front. And 3 thicker felt tapes on the hatch. Now it may take a few days to weeks before it opens a little bit.
IMG_20200114_125007.jpg
Thin felt tape from "felt tape is located here", all the way up to the right of the circle "runner/sliders).

IMG_20200114_125016.jpg
3 thicker felt tapes across the hatch. One to the left, one in the middle, and one to the right.

Pay no attention to the missing head liner. Pictures from previous repair.

I use stick on felt pads ones you put on chair legs. Works all winter when roof down when roof up and down a lot I replace when the work free.

Happens to us all the time. We just, live with it.

Plus one for the roof liner assisting with keeping it closed. My experience is depending on how the roof liner folds in those final closing seconds it either stays shut or doesn’t. Currently it’s behaving. It’s never got me annoyed enough to focus on but agree, it is distracting. The National Trust card is a great idea thank you.

Back