Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is book price for new Cali negotiable?

I think it was on the OTR price
Not sure which works out better (or if it's even perhaps the same)

They told me they don't have much room to discount on Cali's compared with their other commercial vehicles and I honestly felt they were telling the truth

I got 10% off base vehicle price, ex VAT = £3.5K.

Whereas 10% OTR would have been £4.3K.

And 10% off my final build cost of £48K would have been £4.8K.

So my £3.5K works out as 7.3% off my final build cost - which I'm not quibbling about, but I'd just advise others that they understand that the VW Van Centres are more used to commerical customers and so tend to talk in ex VAT prices, while we consumers never consider VAT cos it is always included in everything!

If I were to do it again, I'd be asking for a fixed value off the price, rather than a percentage, cos then I wouldn't have had to get my calculator out to do the sums above!

Steve

It would still be more as they wouldn't / shouldn't charge you vat on the discount so that's another £700 that's what our dealer did till I pointed out his error so he changed it

Went a bit like this:-
"you made a mistake here - you need to apply the discount before you charge the VAT
Do I?, that looks right to me!
No, as otherwise your charging me vat on something I haven't paid
oh yes, sorry about that"

It should not make any odds to the dealer, it's just the tax man isn't getting something he shouldn't have had it the first place (yes I know vat is more complicated than that with offsets etc)

Still 3.5K off is excellent IMHO

We dont have a cali (yet), but recent quote from our local dealer offered only 3.9% discount off base price.

We didnt go back to haggle as not quite ready to place an order.

Discounts of up to 10% seem to be available though.

I have noted from the official VW site that there are currently a large number of new/nearly new vehicles available at dealers and more than one that fit our preferred 4Motion spec. We may therefore see if there is any negotiation on the price for Cali's already available

Back