Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is a California really a "Goods Vehicle"?

My V5C Shows mine as a California SE TDI 140, Body type- Motor Caravan, taxation class- Diesel car and revenue weight-3000kg gross. :clap

Is a California really a "Goods Vehicle"?

Andy said:
cozmo1589 said:
Great result!
Still confused as to why some California's are classified as Motor Caravans and others like mine are classified as a private light goods vehicle????

DVLA's in ability to get things correct & be consistent. They ALL should be 'Motor Caravan'.

Both apply and are written in separate places. I have taxation class PLG and Body Type Motor Caravan. Also vehicle category is M1, which is essentially passenger vehicle. If it says N1 it's a goods vehicle. This for my 2008, I think diesel car may relate to newer vehicles subject to recent taxation changes.

My new Ocean will have a gross 3080kg and I've been told it will be classed a goods vehicle by an 'advanced driver trainer' today. Anyone got a new T6 with this weight and their V5C so they can tell me what it's really classed as please?

3080kg is just the same as the 4 motion variants of the T5 Cali

3080kg is just the same as the 4 motion variants of the T5 Cali
So speed limits would be 50 Single Carriageway, 60 Dual & 70 motorway then?

Vehicles come under different classes depending on weight.
Drivers who have had their licences before 1997 will find they have licences that will allow them to drive vehicles of certain weights, and trailers.
Just beware of weights and if you have a valid licence to pull trailers....

If you keep the GVW (gross vehicle weight is when fully loaded) under 3.5tonnes either with or without trailer, you only need a B on your licence...if over, you will have to check which categories you'll need....en see if you have those categories on your licence.

I hope the above is correct.......:sorry

Oops wrong answer...I failed to read the question carefully...back to school for me:confused:

I think you'll find it's a PLG (private and light goods vehicle)...but I'll revert to watching this thread rather than participating......!

So speed limits would be 50 Single Carriageway, 60 Dual & 70 motorway then?
I think that's the speed limits for motor caravans with 'unladen' weight of above 3050kg, your 3080kg refers to max 'laden' weight.
Just checked brochure and 2695kg is the heaviest of the T6 Cali's, (unladen weight)

Last edited:
I think that's the speed limits for motor caravans with 'unladen' weight of above 3050kg, your 3080kg refers to max 'laden' weight.
Just checked brochure and 2695kg is the heaviest of the T6 Cali's, (unladen weight)
Thanks @Looby

O.K I have finally had the response from the Hants Police ... actually, the "Summary Justice Unit" (does that mean they just shoot you if they don't like the look of you!).

"I have reviewed your document and checked the National Database that shows your vehicle is a Motor Caravan.

Please note that no further action will be taken in connection with this matter and the notice has been cancelled."

So, if your V5 says "Motor Caravan", you should be O.K. doing 70 on a dual carriage-way (non-Motorway) ... well, probably!

Phew! That's a relief!

Thanks for the advice given,

Ian
Shame they didn't check the database before they sent it out...

Back