Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is a California really a "Goods Vehicle"?

Re: Is a California really a "Goods Vehicle"?

KernowLad said:
andys495 said:
If your vehicle is a passenger vehicle over 2 tonne then the speed limit on a dual carriageway with a posted national limit is 60mph. I assume the police have listed it as a goods vehicle as that's the closest category they can record it as. The alternative is a pcv i.e. Minibus.
Regarding the margins for prosecution. These are national ACPO guidelines and will be adhered to.
You should be eligible to a speed awareness course as an alternative to prosecution if one hasn't been completed anywhere nationally in the last two years.

That can't be right - plenty of very fast cars are now over two tonnes - Bentleys, fast SUVs, big AMG Mercs, etc, etc. Even the big BMW M6 GC is about two tonnes.

Kernowlad,
Having noted your query and looking at the legislation again it isn't written that clearly and perhaps I've misquoted. It states 'Cars and vehicles (including dual-purpose vehicles and car-derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight)' The 2 tonne applies to the vehicles bit and not the cars. It would again depend on what your vehicle is catagorised as. If it is listed as a passenger carrying vehicle i.e. Car which doesn't exceed the seats to make it minibus (8 seats plus the driver) etc then it can be heavier than 2 tonnes. But if it's a small goods vehicle e.g. Vauxhall combo etc then it's max is 2 tonne. So your AMG, BMW etc would be fine. Confusing!

Hi there

Just got the V5C/2 for our Cali registered 31/03/2014 and it states:-

Wheel plan 2 axle rigid body
Revenue weight 3000 kg gross
Taxation class Diesel car
Vehicle type approval M1

So that reads 60,70,70 to me, am I correct?

In my opinion yes. The revenue weight is the maximum legal weight for the vehicle. The law on speed limits is only concerned with the unladen weight. From what I've seen this is about 500kg less than this for a Cali. Dependent on whether it is a 4 motion etc. The M1 type is the same as a car.

Motor homes and motor caravans are classed as goods vehicles IF carrying goods for exhibition or sale, so depending what is being carried alters the class !

Dear All,

Please can you clarify for me...

For all 4 motion vehicles the brochure show unladen weight as 2634kg and Gross Vehicle weight as 3080kg.

Therefore with regard to the gov website for speed limits (https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits)

What version applies?

Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) or

Motorhomes or motor caravans (more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)

:thanks

Well it is less thsn 3.05t UNLADEN weight I think.

MarkW said:
Dear All,

For all 4 motion vehicles the brochure show unladen weight as 2634kg and Gross Vehicle weight as 3080kg.

Therefore with regard to the gov website for speed limits (https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits)

What version applies?

Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) or

MarkW said:
Dear All,

What version applies?

Oops! The first one. Your max unladen weight is 2634kg.

That was my interpretation but because earlier in the thread people were discussing the classification of the vehicle and what speed was permissible on dual carriageway (60mph was mentioned) I just thought I'd ask... :cool

How is the gross weight over 400kgs more? Super heavy fuel and a few fat passengers!?

4 x passengers at average weight of 75kgms = 300 kgms
luggage allowance for 4 passengers at 20 kgms/person = 80 kgms
Utensils, bedding etc = 20 kgms

Total 400 kgms

I presume gas cylinder and 30 L water + fuel included in kerbside weight! although if not then probably Driver is included so gas cylinder and water would be included in the spare 75kgms.

Soon adds up. :D

It is quite clear on the government web site; only vehicles over 7.5 tonnes or towing vehicles are limited to 60mph.
See:

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Hi Meerkat,

Are you saying that you interpret the California as a "goods vehicle" because if it is classified as a "motor home or motor caravan" (which was the original question of what weight category if fitted into within this band) then it would be limited if classified over (more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)

Single carriageways mph (km/h) - 50 (80) Dual carriageways mph (km/h) - 60 (96)

KernowLad said:
How is the gross weight over 400kgs more? Super heavy fuel and a few fat passengers!?
Gross weight is fully loaded weight. 400kg is not much for a family with 2 toung teenagers going away fir a month.
I have seen examples of a 110 equiped with expedition gear leaving very little legal weight for passengers gear.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Handy site cullengr.

My car, a golf, is classified as a diesel car.

My van, California SE 4motion, is classified as PRIVATE/LIGHT GOODS (PLG) .

Interesting.

Been a fair bit of debate - what's the verdict on speed linits?

rob

See the attachment and take your pick.....

Attachments

• National speed limits.docx
    15.2 KB · Views: 31

Lets not get confused with any of this. Anybody out there who owns any sort of Cali and uses it for what it's designed can do the same speeds as a car. Period!

A Cali is NOT a goods vehicle!

Re: Is a California really a

andys495 said:
A Cali is NOT a goods vehicle!

Yes but the OP has to persuade Hants police or she will have to pay the fine period.

They are just twats ...!!!
It clearly says in the national speed Limit doc 70 assuming you can prove she's under 3tonnes ( fat girl ) lol
Which she is ..
My log book says motorhome under 3 tonnes

O.K I have finally had the response from the Hants Police ... actually, the "Summary Justice Unit" (does that mean they just shoot you if they don't like the look of you!).

"I have reviewed your document and checked the National Database that shows your vehicle is a Motor Caravan.

Please note that no further action will be taken in connection with this matter and the notice has been cancelled."

So, if your V5 says "Motor Caravan", you should be O.K. doing 70 on a dual carriage-way (non-Motorway) ... well, probably!

Phew! That's a relief!

Thanks for the advice given,

Ian

Great result!
Still confused as to why some California's are classified as Motor Caravans and others like mine are classified as a private light goods vehicle????

Re: Is a California really a

cozmo1589 said:
Great result!
Still confused as to why some California's are classified as Motor Caravans and others like mine are classified as a private light goods vehicle????

DVLA's in ability to get things correct & be consistent. They ALL should be 'Motor Caravan'.

Back