Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intruder alarm with roof up

Because I'm certain some nice person on the cc campsites would have informed the warden in my absence and would be impatiently waiting to greet me on my return

Would anyone tell the insurance company that you had disabled the interior alarm if the unthinkable were to happen (other than myself of course)?
Hello Mr/Mrs insurance company but something has happened to my beautiful California, am I covered even though I locked the vehicle but disabled the interior alarm?

I just love the attitude that if you were minded to lower the roof to give you peace of mind whilst you left your van then you must be some form of irrational idiot.

I've parked my van up in howling gales and spent the night unable to sleep feeling the van move, shake, rattle and roll and wonder if the roof will make it... sorry, just a febrile old woman here but if I am to leave my van for the day when a 50 mph gale is forecast then I do not feel totally stupid lowering the roof.

I've left my van in some totally dodgy areas, seriously, I do not want someone seeing my roof as the latest challenge to the rip it - vandalise it mentality.

I really sometimes do not want to advertise that I am stopping somewhere miles from civilisation. Call it the single woman on her own syndrome. Down comes the roof when not needed and stealth mode is.

I want to go out for the day and don't want bird sing all over the canvas. Where I live on the coast then I will not even leave the roof up when not necessary in my own drive.

Sorry if I sound terribly irrational but really it is my choice, and if I am going out for the day, unsure of the neighbourhood, a bit twitchy about the weather, a bit cautious about advertising my presence or just simply a single woman on her own not wishing to attract any form of unwarranted attention then I will leave my van with the roof down.

My choice.

All tru GJ , fully agree .
As the tread started on the interrieur alarm we are drifting away....
For the record , i do not have the interieur alarm , just push the remotebutton closing things up and switch on a starterinterupter ....must say glad i do not have the interieur sensors as we ofthen leave our dog in the Cali while of to showers on campsite or supermarket....
Nobody even ever bothers if any alarm goes of on a car in a parkinglot , not even in my street when you hear a alarm from a nieghbours house ...only birds fly up.....:D

I do wish people would read previous posts etc: NO ONE has advocated leaving the roof up with the vehicle unattended on dodgy locations, when wild camping or when storms are raging or are possible.
On a proper site, surrounded by like minded people, with no storms raging or forecast, no flocks of rabid sea birds suffering diarrhoea carrying out dive bombing raids, do you really expect me to believe some people will dismantle their enclosed awnings, wind in the awning, remove the toilet tent ( if you have one ) pack away all the bedding and lower the roof so that they can take the dog for a walk, go to the beach or visit the local shops???????
Leaving your awning up, and the California roof up, with the Internal movement alarm OFF, means the Vehicle is secure from being driven away and the habitation area is as secure as your zipped up " Driveway" awning. That was the whole point of the post. If you have a driveway awning that you are happy to leave unattended then what is the problem of leaving a California with roof up and internal Alarm off unattended.
If you wish to pack everything away every time you leave your vehicle then fine. Your choice. Must lead to some interesting scenarios. Do I go to the Loo - or do I put the roof down????
Decisions , decisions.
Ah, I've got a toilet under the kitchen sink!!!!
Lookout, there's a bird - its on final approach. Get the roof down, NOW.

You can ALL do as you wish, but I do wish people would read what has been posted.
Enough said. Just off to check that my California has survived the night, the birds, foxes, local scumbags, tornadoes etc:etc.

Not really - off for a shower, breakfast and then a walk downtown to get a paper and a coffee at my local Cafe Nero.:thumb

I do wish people would read previous posts etc: NO ONE has advocated leaving the roof up with the vehicle unattended on dodgy locations, when wild camping or when storms are raging or are possible.
On a proper site, surrounded by like minded people, with no storms raging or forecast, no flocks of rabid sea birds suffering diarrhoea carrying out dive bombing raids, do you really expect me to believe some people will dismantle their enclosed awnings, wind in the awning, remove the toilet tent ( if you have one ) pack away all the bedding and lower the roof so that they can take the dog for a walk, go to the beach or visit the local shops???????
Leaving your awning up, and the California roof up, with the Internal movement alarm OFF, means the Vehicle is secure from being driven away and the habitation area is as secure as your zipped up " Driveway" awning. That was the whole point of the post. If you have a driveway awning that you are happy to leave unattended then what is the problem of leaving a California with roof up and internal Alarm off unattended.
If you wish to pack everything away every time you leave your vehicle then fine. Your choice. Must lead to some interesting scenarios. Do I go to the Loo - or do I put the roof down????
Decisions , decisions.
Ah, I've got a toilet under the kitchen sink!!!!
Lookout, there's a bird - its on final approach. Get the roof down, NOW.

You can ALL do as you wish, but I do wish people would read what has been posted.
Enough said. Just off to check that my California has survived the night, the birds, foxes, local scumbags, tornadoes etc:etc.

Not really - off for a shower, breakfast and then a walk downtown to get a paper and a coffee at my local Cafe Nero.:thumb
Wish I could rate this more than once! Properly belly laughing in bed reading this.
Enjoy your coffee :)

WelchGas: well written, I imagine most Caliowners are not travelling alone all the time either, in that case it can be a bit more work to lower the roof in all the examples you mention.
I was not aware the california attracted that much stupid people either trying to tear it apart.

WelchGas: well written, I imagine most Caliowners are not travelling alone all the time either, in that case it can be a bit more work to lower the roof in all the examples you mention.
I was not aware the california attracted that much stupid people either trying to tear it apart.
To be quite honest, I don't think they do attract anymore attention than any other equivalent leisure system, be it tent or caravan or Motorhome or CamperVan. Common sense should rule and on a decent campsite in good weather then leaving the roof up with internal alarm off would be a normal, common sense precaution when leaving it unattended, as would leaving valuables out of site. Eg: the last COTF gathering I don't recollect anyone putting their roofs down and awnings away before attending any of the functions.

Is there much theft on campsites ? Thinking mainly of an unattended driveway awning. Not intending to leave any valuables, just camping table, chairs (not Cali) camping stove, kettle and toaster.

Is there much theft on campsites ? Thinking mainly of an unattended driveway awning. Not intending to leave any valuables, just camping table, chairs (not Cali) camping stove, kettle and toaster.
I personally am not aware of this being a problem.

It's always been the case with tents etc that you zip up and leave hoping everything is still there when you come back but most people and campers are in the same boat, you have to have a little trust. Just be sensible with valuables. Never had an issue myself.

From my experience, no.

I have suffered more from vandalism but that has been when left in places that, let's say, were not the best kept.

If I was on a Caravan Club, or CC and C, or a well run commercial site then I have never have a problem but also it was on a well-run good reputation commercial campsite that I was seriously harassed and which for a while left me terribly wary.

Sorry, don't understand this. If the alarm was On with Internal Alarm Off, how did they open the door? They would be locked for external access.
Ah well - that was in my naive days (based on 20 years in a tent, when nobody ever broke in!), and I didn't lock the van when I was in it. You learn very quickly!

Ah well - that was in my naive days (based on 20 years in a tent, when nobody ever broke in!), and I didn't lock the van when I was in it. You learn very quickly!
Too True.

Back to the original subject - alarm sensitivity.
We currently have a Caravelle (2005) but are just finalising the specifications for a new California Beach :) hence I'm new to the forum.
In the Caravelle we regularly keep the dogs, caged in the back, with a door lock extender, keeping the fresh air flowing, but the vehicle secure. The interior sensor override button gets used regularly.
However, if you have access to VAG-Com kit, certain alarm settings can be changed, including the interior monitor sensitivity. I haven't played with it, as we need all or nothing, but if you're alarm sensors are over-sensitive, then it may be an option worth exploring.

We always locked the door from the inside using door lock on drivers door. Of course this is a pain if you have to stretch from bed to do this or climbing about in the night. Tried it with the key fob once and of course the alarm went off. I then found the switch on the inside pillar of the drivers door. I assume this is the alarm disarmer which means I can lie in bed and click the fob from bed and doors will lock whilst alarm disabled. Not actually tried this method yet but I assume its an option?

That's right, press the switch on the door pillar, you then have a short time to lock the VW with the key fob and the interior sensors are disabled. I'm pretty sure that, because you've used the remote, the doors are deadlocked, so you have to use the remote to unlock. Something to try out later...
The door pillar switch needs to be used it each time you lock up but don't want the sensors on.

Assuming the interior alarm has been disabled by the switch on the door pillar you can lock it with fob or the switch on the drivers door.

The difference is that the vehicle is not deadlocked by the switch on the drivers door, making it possible for someone left inside the vehicle to escape in an emergency.

Personally if I am sleeping in the vehicle I use the switch on the drivers door. I really don't want to wake up in an emergency in the dark and be faffing around looking for the keys to get the side door open.

Are the doors deadlocked if the motion sensor is disabled and you lock with remote?
Seems dangerous if there is a fire in the van and you cant find the remote or the electrical system goes havoc.

On ours If you lock the door with the remote the side door opens from inside if you pull the open handle on the inside twice no need to find the remote at night to get out

Last edited:
I just tested my '05 Caravelle - locked from inside with remote, front doors deadlocked - as you'd expect - this is an anti-theft feature so you can't just break the window, lift the lock, use the switch, or pull the handle twice.
Our Caravelle also deadlocks the sliding doors - which is useful to know if you want to leave the sliding windows open a little - again no hands reaching through to release. Given that the Caravelle is 10-years old, the sliding door may be different now, as Meoncoast's test highlights.
On the other hand, using the lock switch on the driver's door means all doors can be opened with a double-tug of the handle.
On balance, I have to agree that the safety considerations of needing to get out in a hurry must outway the convenience of locking with the remote.

Back