Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interpretation of Cold Tire Inflation Pressure plaque.

arcadelt

arcadelt

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
How are we to interpret the information on the Cold Tire Inflation Pressure placard? I understand tyre sizes, and load and speed ratings, but I don’t understand why there are several load and speed ratings for the 215/60 R17 tyres, and several speed ratings for the 235/55 R17 tyres. I was under the impression that manufacture would specify the minimum standard required and fitting any tyre with a greater capacty would be fine.

This placard is on my Australian California Beach:

IMG_5672.jpeg

Does that sticker not simply cover all of the VW supply options?
I have no idea. My van has Bridgestone Duravis R660 Eco 215/60 R17 C 109/107T LT (104H) fitted, but why it has multiple load values is a mystery to me ‍♂️

I have no idea. My van has Bridgestone Duravis R660 Eco 215/60 R17 C 109/107T LT (104H) fitted, but why it has multiple load values is a mystery to me ‍♂️
For a light load - 54psi at the front, 51psi at the back.
For a heavy load - 54psi front and back.
The 215 R17 options combine in the first 2 rows. Same for the 235 R27 and 255 R18 options in the last 2 rows. It then gives you pressures for light or heavy load and front or back.

This gives an explantion:

For a light load - 54psi at the front, 51psi at the back.
For a heavy load - 54psi front and back.
The 215 R17 options combine in the first 2 rows. Same for the 235 R27 and 255 R18 options in the last 2 rows. It then gives you pressures for light or heavy load and front or back.
I understand that, but isn't this placard also an indication of the allowable tyres for the van? Does that mean that 102H or 103H tyres are permissible, or am I reading more into the information than is intended?

I understand that, but isn't this placard also an indication of the allowable tyres for the van? Does that mean that 102H or 103H tyres are permissible, or am I reading more into the information than is intended?
Not really. There are other tyre combos both allowable and fitted by the factory, drivetrain dependant (esp 4M).

When the sticker is applied the operator knows what tyres you have and fits the sticker most appropriate.

Other stickers exist.

Last edited:
But........Are the TP Stickers California specific, or merely generic?
I'm guessing the latter.

Label is california specific, it shows the tyres they defined in the vehicles type approval.
In some markets you can only get a roadworthy certificate if you stick to those defined.

Label is california specific, it shows the tyres they defined in the vehicles type approval.
In some markets you can only get a roadworthy certificate if you stick to those defined.
That's good to know, thank you, I have just had All Season tyres fitted.....dealer put 40psi all round, might be a calibration issue but glad I checked before I did too many miles, all corrected now.

The 104/102 rating is for commercial / van tyres which most of the factory fit 215 tyres are. They are rated 104 for single wheel set ups ie. 2 wheels per axle and 102 for twin wheel ie. 4 wheels per axle. It needs to be read together ie. 104/102 not 104 or 102, it does not mean that a 102 rated tyre is suitable, that tyre is rated to 104 for a Cali.103H is ok.

The 104/102 rating is for commercial / van tyres which most of the factory fit 215 tyres are. They are rated 104 for single wheel set ups ie. 2 wheels per axle and 102 for twin wheel ie. 4 wheels per axle. It needs to be read together ie. 104/102 not 104 or 102, it does not mean that a 102 rated tyre is suitable, that tyre is rated to 104 for a Cali.103H is ok.
This is really good info.
As I thought 102 was as per the specifications.
Thanks !

Back