Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance rip off change of address fees

M

Mollymoo

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
A word of warning I have just been charged £53 for changing my address with AIB, not because of increased risk at my new address but 2 admin charges, one to them as broker and one for Aviva. My previous insurance company I just did it online at no cost.
Is this unreasonable or am I just a moaning old fart?

Last edited:
A word of warning I have just been charged £53 for changing my address with AIB, not because of increased risk at my new address but 2 admin charges, one to them as broker and one for Aviva Previous insurance company I just did it online at no cost.
It tends to be, not always, the cheaper the Insurance the more fees for policy changes.
A bit like flying Ryanair compared with flying BA.

Wow, that's a lot. I recently swapped cars, previous one 12 year old derv to 3 year old petrol turbo, £6!
Where do they get that price for a few minutes of typing?

A word of warning I have just been charged £53 for changing my address with AIB, not because of increased risk at my new address but 2 admin charges, one to them as broker and one for Aviva Previous insurance company I just did it online at no cost.
Complain directly in the first instance ,

if no discretion shown, vote with your feet at renewal or make them rebate it at renewal

Most companies give a schedule of fees charged for various "administrative" procedures, these are shown in their documents which you can usually peruse prior to purchasing a policy. In the recent past, they seem to have become more exhorbitant, but you always have the option to select an alternative if you know that you are likely to incurr charges due to changes during the term of insurance.
I think that it is entirely unreasonable. I was recently offered a classic car policy with a premium from the insurer of £63 and an arrangement fee from the broker of £40. It's a rip off.

Complain directly in the first instance ,

if no discretion shown, vote with your feet at renewal or make them rebate it at renewal
I did complain and asked if anything could be done but they said no I also said I would be looking elsewhere at renewal but they weren't interested.
I shopped around before collecting the van and they were in the middle of the quotes I got with LV being the cheapest who I probably should have gone with.
AIB are sponsors on here so I thought I would give them the business so hopefully they are reading this.

Most companies give a schedule of fees charged for various "administrative" procedures, these are shown in their documents which you can usually peruse prior to purchasing a policy. In the recent past, they seem to have become more exhorbitant, but you always have the option to select an alternative if you know that you are likely to incurr charges due to changes during the term of insurance.
I think that it is entirely unreasonable. I was recently offered a classic car policy with a premium from the insurer of £63 and an arrangement fee from the broker of £40. It's a rip off.
I was expecting to pay a fee for the change of address what I wasn't expecting was to have to pay 2 fees and the amount charged.

It tends to be, not always, the cheaper the Insurance the more fees for policy changes.
A bit like flying Ryanair compared with flying BA.
I agree but they weren't cheap a good few hundred pounds more than LV.

Free to change on line with Admiral. But a small fee if you do it over the phone.

I did complain and asked if anything could be done but they said no I also said I would be looking elsewhere at renewal but they weren't interested.
I shopped around before collecting the van and they were in the middle of the quotes I got with LV being the cheapest who I probably should have gone with.
AIB are sponsors on here so I thought I would give them the business so hopefully they are reading this.
@AIB Insurance ?

looks like Not much Partnering going on with AIB, just exploiting the access the to forum To tout for business

Incidentally i‘m looking at insurance renewal quotes ATM, binned off AIB because you’ve got to call them or fill out an outdated web form on their website, for them to contact you back, maybe they may want to think about the labour involved in that rather than charging existing customers for a genuine change of addresses.

Changed the registration on my car insurance with LV, yesterday, as removed plate ready to put on my van when it arrives. Was expecting an admin charge, but no charge and new documents emailed with 10 minutes. Only downside was kept waiting nearly 20 minutes on the phone until an advisor was available.

Sounds a bit strong! Moved recently. Cali (Adrian Flux), waived the fee (just asked them to and they said OK) but was an increase of a fiver for change of area (it’s only £200 a year). Car (LV) no admin fee or change in policy.