Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Informing Insurance Company

Topman

Topman

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi

If I upgrade my Cali , Sportline Alloys , spoilers , sidebars and lowered do I need to inform my insurance company ?

Advise and people,s experience please

Unless you are altering the mechanical bits I would think not. However I do know that some insurance companies can be twitchy about lowered suspension.

The best advice surely is "if in doubt, check with them"... only they can give you a definitive answer,

As Jen says if in doubt ... Insurance companies will try anything to wiggle out of a claim, I updated Comfort when I changed a few bits on mine ( side bars, lowered .. ) and they noted it on my policy, none of the mods increased the premium.

Any mods done you will need to inform them or it could potential void your insurance.
We had to tell our car insurance about tinting the windows and having winter wheels (even though they're the same size as the summer ones!)
Best just telling them to cover yourself.

:(
Hi

If I upgrade my Cali , Sportline Alloys , spoilers , sidebars and lowered do I need to inform my insurance company

Advise and people,s experience please
What I have learnt from being on this forum the last 2 years then yes defo
Nothing to lose ,everything to gain exept maybe a few quid :headbang

I've always told them about everything. You may save a few quid on the premium by not telling them (but likely it'll be zero cost), but you risk having an invalid policy which may effect the security you are paying for in the first place.

Having made a large claim in the past, my experience is that no one reads the policy wording like the loss adjuster when you come to make a claim. Every clause counts.

I'd tell them.
Mark

I would also yes you need to tell them, mods with most insurance companies includes not preformance items ie styling. In my first year of ownership direct line even wated to know when winter wheels went on and off !!!!!!!!!
Most companies make no charge for style mods such as side bars etc, but make a note of them on your record/ policy. Most insurance application forms ask "has the vehicle been modification"
Better safe than sorry, if you need to make a claim.

Apart of the insurance company, there are some other steps to follow to be legal?

My question is because in Spain, for most of the changes done to a vehicle, we have to get a certification from some approved engineers, and then pass the MOT equivalent. If you don't, and you're stopped by the police, you will be fined and your vehicle could be immobilized (no mention of the problems you could get in the event of an accident).

Tell them everything if they can get out of paying through a non discloser they will:rage

even having a towbar fitted should be told to insurers!:eek:

I was just reading last month in the CC magazine that the tow bar is a very important one to notify your insurer, there have been many cases of claims being rejected due the insurer not being aware the vehicle is being used to tow.

It's worth mentioning that if you have a 5th seat,even if you don't install it.

Alan

Worth noting some insurers count roof bars and bike racks as mods too! tell them everything!

Caravan Club weren't interested, probably because most vehicles they insure are used to tow anyway, you know those big :rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage that we are not allowed to mention to some members.

Intresting re Caravan Club insurance best deal with full protected NCB and 15000miles when I renewed in 2014

How do you stand if factory fitted, example we have a factory fitted tow bar so how can it be a modification.

I think all insurance polices require you to tell them if you tow anything, it always used to be this way unless it has changed? We used to tow a 21ft boat and our excess was increased :mad:

My understanding was if you have a towbar fitted at the factory then the insurance company don't need to know. If its fitted after the factory deliver it then its deemed a modification even if its a factory spec towbar you fit.

Correct. Whatever is on the Invoice is covered. If fitted after then you may need to inform Insurance company especially if the modification changes the original vehicle.

Thanks, to everybody for replies and feedback call to Direct Line listed all the Modded items , with a premium increase of just £2.90 a month

Yes have been talking about this on radio 2 today

Sent from my SM-G900F

When we had ours lowered ( dealer fit -30mm) we informed our insurer who was CC at the time and they increased the premium by £48 and charged a £25 admin charge !

I think any mod you have fitted no matter how small you must inform them as they will use any excuse to wiggle out of a claim.

I put a new air freshner up today which I hang from the rear view mirror so will be calling them tomorrow to advise them

Checked with Caravan Club Insurance this AM as I've got their badge on The Van. Basically everything on the Dealers Invoice is covered ( new vehicles ). Everything else should be notified. They weren't interested in the badge by the way.:thumb

Back