Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

iboost wifi fuse blowing

Robin Brooke

Robin Brooke

Extended sabaticaal pursuing a passion to climb
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all

Wonder if anyone has had a similar problem and found a solution.

I have a Motorhome WIFI iboost which I bought a few months ago and tested in my Cali just fine. Its been unused since as we waited to go on a long euro road trip. We left this week and it no longer works arrrgghhh!!

The router is powered via cord that plugs into any cigarette lighter fitting. This power cord has a 2amp fuse. The problem seems to be the fuse in the iboost power cord gets blown every time it is plugged in. All other devices (mobile or laptops) work just fine. We've tried replacing the fuse and just gets blown again.

Appreciate any advice (also trying the manufacturer).

Thanks!

Hi all

Wonder if anyone has had a similar problem and found a solution.

I have a Motorhome WIFI iboost which I bought a few months ago and tested in my Cali just fine. Its been unused since as we waited to go on a long euro road trip. We left this week and it no longer works arrrgghhh!!

The router is powered via cord that plugs into any cigarette lighter fitting. This power cord has a 2amp fuse. The problem seems to be the fuse in the iboost power cord gets blown every time it is plugged in. All other devices (mobile or laptops) work just fine. We've tried replacing the fuse and just gets blown again.

Appreciate any advice (also trying the manufacturer).

Thanks!
Does the fuse blow when you plug the power plug into the 12v socket or when you plug the power plug lead into the iBoost?
Either way there is obviously a fault and I would get in contact with the supplier.

Hi Robin,

You e-mailed me at 8pm and I replied 10 minutes later asking you which product you had purchased as you didn't specify and out of office hours I don't have access to customer records.

I'm not aware of a customer ever having previously reported a fuse blowing, but the fuse will blow if the socket is wired with reverse polarity (some other devices may work unaffected) so do check that the centre socket is positive.

I'm not a regular forum member (one of our customers alerted me to this post) so better to converse with me via e-mail and I'm sure we can resolve it for you.

As you can see - we work all hours! :)

Adam (from Motorhome WiFi)

Hi Robin,

You e-mailed me at 8pm and I replied 10 minutes later asking you which product you had purchased as you didn't specify and out of office hours I don't have access to customer records.

I'm Adam (from Motorhome WiFi)

Yes I can see you responded to my email, but I also wanted the collective wisdom of the forum.

As per my email the iboost worked in the vehicle when first purchased, but now several months later when needed it does not. This is in a 9month old i.e. Almost new VW cali with no changes to its wiring or electrics. Do give me a call in the morning.

I also welcome views from forum members to help fix.

Thanks welshgas, when plugged into 12v socket (the power cord attached to router).

Thanks welshgas, when plugged into 12v socket (the power cord attached to router).
Is this the same 12v socket you used when you tested the iBoost originally?

Hi Robin,

As the product manufacturer and supplier, we are best placed to assist you given the opportunity to do so.

As advised, I'm not aware of a customer having reported a blown fuse prior to now so both I and the other members of the forum will therefore be guessing to some degree as to the cause in this instance.

I presume the effect is the same both in the rear habitation 12v socket or in the vehicle dashboard 12v socket?

If that is true, assuming you have replaced the fuse with one of the correct type, there really isn't any other avenues to explore but to allow us to have the system back for testing and hopefully we can then replicate and then resolve the issue.

I can if necessary send you out a replacement power cable and/or a mains adapter tomorrow to arrive with you at a camp site hopefully on Saturday via 1st Class, as I understand you are now living in your vehicle for 12 months.

You have sent me your number via e-mail, so I will call you in the morning.

Regards,

Adam

Back