Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How's Edinburgh on a Sunday?

bvddobb

bvddobb

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
We are contemplating visiting Edinburgh on a Sunday in January, during our next winter Scotland trip. But how is a Sunday for visiting Edinburgh? Everything closed? Or quite the contrary?

Last edited:
My tip would be to use the park and ride near the airport (free) then get the tram from there directly into the centre. No overnight parking there though.

TBH I'd rather spend that than spend an hour going to the airport and back.
Well yes, you make a good argument if its that far away, especially on a Sunday with lighter traffic in the city center.

That said, there are always motorhomes parked near the Comely Bank Waitrose / Police station. I'm not sure if people sleep in them overnight there but there's a significant population.

Parking is probably free there for part or all of the weekend.

@bvddobb Mortonhall is a nice site and well served by bus. Pretty much everything you’re likely to want to visit will be open on Sunday, similar hours to Saturday. Note that sunset will be around 1600 in January, so plan any light-dependent activities around that

Sunday is fine. January is relatively quiet as m ost tourists have left after Hogmanay celebrations.
You can park way closer than the airport. Plenty of free parking on a Sunday about 10mins walk from city centre

Check out City Of Edinburgh Council website for parking information and the Transport for Edinburgh website has info on bus and tram times.

if you are visiting the Castle it might be worth booking tickets in advance at Historic Environment Scotland. Also consider a multi pass or season ticket if you are visiting multiple sites around Scotland.

As others have said Mortonhall is a safe option and the Stable Bar is good for food and drinks.

Enjoy your trip

Back