Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How would you redesign the Cali interior?

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Despite the tardis like qualities of the Cali, there is a limit to what can be squeezed into the T5 body, hence the Beach and SE offer buyers different alternatives depending on their needs.
We love our SE, but for a bit of fun I started wondering, if I was in the VW design studio, what would be the perfect interior for us, within the confines of the existing body.
Many will say theirs is perfect as it is, and I agree it's pretty fabulous but if I could:
I would definitely keep the brill fridge and the double burner/sink, however I would make the unit that houses them a little shallower to allow a slightly wider 3 seater bench seat to be installed - I have seen this on some aftermarket conversions.
I would reconfigure the rear bed board slightly as the bed does not need to be as long (would mean sleeping with heads to front). This would allow the floor to ceiling storage next to the fridge to be a little deeper nearest to the tailgate. Rather than separate units that face to the rear and to the cabin, I would combine these into one bigger unit with tambour doors and storage shelves.
Water and waste to be underslung so that they do not take up space internally, freeing up space for a small water heater.
The seat would allow a porta potti to be stored underneath.
Otherwise everything that makes the Cali brilliant, stays.
I'm interested to hear your weird and wacky ideas on what you would do to yours, not to open up a Beach vs SE debate!
Cheers

For me the wardrobe between the fridge and the backwardrobe sucks... Very difficult to reach in to ( they sell shelves aftermarket , why do VW not fit shelves standard!)
The electric/hydrolic roof is over the top , whats wrong with a manual roof ?
Less weight , less chance of failures , takes probaly less time to open to...
More pressure on the watertap ( the hose in the back on newones is a litlle plus...)
No glass tops on fride and cooker.

Just what pops in my head right now , but still happy with my 2012 Cali SE ...!
:thumb

1. Make the seat mounting rails slightly longer so the 5th seat can move further forward.
2. decent cup holders for front & back seats
3. make the front seats swivel the other way round so the backs move into the space between the seats rather than bashing the doors
4. move the handbrake out the way - maybe electric
5. 3rd seat belt on the rear bench - i had a mini clubman with three rear belts & the seat was narrower than the 2 seater cali one
6. how about a lightweight 2 seater removable bench as used in the kombis etc that fits in the rails to make a six seater?

Good question, I'd have separate glass for sink and hob but I'd keep them the depth that they are (ruled out some conversions as wouldn't have been able to fit my favourite cooking pan - a wok, on the hob). I'd like the isofix on the 2 seater bench to be easier to use and I'd have an electric handbrake. Oh and I'd like the roller blinds to be dark on the outside so that when closed it'd be taken for deep tinted privacy glass, though I understand the reflective qualities of the ones we have. Mostly happy with the current layout. For me the compromised 3 seater bench available in many conversions wouldn't allow child car seats to be fitted properly in their limited width so thAt was another plus for the Cali layout.

I would like leather as standard and a better floor covering.

A grill instead of the cutlery tray. This would mean the sink would have to be next to the fridge.

Off topic a bit not so much interior but a long wheelbase version/option would be good
Together with the interior and equipment make it to heavy and you need a lorry driverslicence....it would be +3,5 ton

Video of the Westy here (in German)

For most average height people, the bed is definitely longer than it needs to be. I have "half" made a replacement rear bed shelf which is 6" (150mm) shorter than the one provided; this space can be added at the front, or the rear seat can be pushed forward right up to the front seats giving a useful, but restricted height space at the rear (I'm thinking porta potty space here).

I haven't tried it yet, the legs I made are a bit rickety (I did say it was half made) and will probably collapse at an inopportune moment ...:eek: ... we need an designer/engineer to come up with a good sliding system - anyone listening? :)

I wish they'd found a way to fit the sliding door window blind into the door itself. And the aforementioned lid on the sink and hob should be split. I sometimes think a split tailgate would be nice too, like an old Range Rover.

I quite like the layout. It would be nice to have a leaver to operate the recliner on the front seats instead of having to rotated the knob when turning the seats. Relocating the floor mounted hand brake would also be good.

I'd like the hook up circuit breaker moved so you don't have to open the tagate and feel through your clothes to switch on/off

I quite like the layout. It would be nice to have a leaver to operate the recliner on the front seats instead of having to rotated the knob when turning the seats. Relocating the floor mounted hand brake would also be good.
Or even better to have electrically operated seats, with driver memory positions. Most £50k + vehicles offer them. I'm sure they could easily program it to turn round at the push of a button. More useful than electric roof in my opinion.

Agree with the handbrake just gets in the way. Also a heated windscreen with quick clear like ford have. Sorry about swearing on a vw forum :)

How about electric seats with memory ,so you can program the setting to swivel

Or even better to have electrically operated seats, with driver memory positions. Most £50k + vehicles offer them. I'm sure they could easily program it to turn round at the push of a button. More useful than electric roof in my opinion.

Sorry didn't read this post doh!!

New control unit. The existing one is laughably outdated now, with known problems. Touch screen?
Manual roof, grill, third seat belt, electric handbrake as others have said.
None of it spoils the experience though!

Maybe keep available current heavy swivel 5th seat if that is what someone wants but give option of a much lighter weight 5th seat with choice of fitting it in forward or rear facing position without the swivel function, if that's where all the weight is.

I'd like to see three seater bench.

A bit radical, but if I were VW I'd consider taking a modular approach to the interior, so instead of building the current monolithic wardrobe/kitchen unit, it would be composed of probably 5 units, 2 full height at the rear then fridge, cooker and sink units towards the front.

This would mean that customers could choose the units - for example full height wardrobe or separate smaller cupboards, cooker with grill or without, etc.

It could also be put together in reverse order for fitting on the right in a RHD van.

There are obvious complexities with plumbing, gas and electricity, but they're all surmountable, I reckon.

I'd like to be able to operate the gas valve without getting out of the van ...

Back