Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many nights per year?

46 so far,

5 in France next week,

14 in Scotland in September

5 in Belgium in November ...

so the plan says :D

Does anyone on here have a job :) Or are you all spending every weekend away. I have negotiated 10 extra days holiday. This year we will hit 35-40 days. Everyone at work thinks I have too many hols :)

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Can't have enough hols! We are on track to hit just under 70 again this year.

teeboy said:
Does anyone on here have a job :) Or are you all spending every weekend away. I have negotiated 10 extra days holiday. This year we will hit 35-40 days. Everyone at work thinks I have too many hols :)

I did wonder too!

We run a business using freelancers so they are now able to cover all work while we are away for a month but it took us a long time to get to this stage (we managed it last year too) and I thought we were pretty lucky (42ish nights)

Surely some here must be retired or have inherited a large fortune?!

teeboy said:
Does anyone on here have a job :)

No,

Well, yes ... but it means going away somewhere and writing so I might as well go away in Albert and write :D

As you can see from my posts, if I relied on my writing, then I couldn't afford a cali :)

I spend too much time on here to have a holiday :laugh2

We haven't got ours for a full year yet, but we are passing 70 nights this week.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

we've done 61 days so far mostly on a trip around europe,to france ,switzerland ,austria,slovenia,croatia,italy,back through france to jersey. :D
and a long weekend in brittany
also planning a week skiing at xmas or new year. :thumb as we live in jersey its a little bit more difficult to go on the spur of the moment because of ferries etc.. :sad

We picked ours up on May 3rd this year and have managed 32 nights so far, which we're pleased with!
We're going tp try and get a few more weekends away before the winter sets in!

Hi,

My total nights in the California this year is so far: 125

Febr - Mar : 7 weeks in France, Spain and Portugal
April: 3 weeks in the South of France
July: 10 nights in Berlin
August: 4 nights in the Eifel (Classic Rallye)
August. - Sept.: 6 weeks in France and Spain

Regards,

Wim

130 so far this year since we bought the van new in January. 18,000 miles. France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria and the UK - a mixture of camp-sites, a few France Passion vineyards. several free parking areas, friends' drives and free camping. What a great machine and what good design. Very few problems. I recommend retirement!

Just done 80 touring Europe. With depreciation in mind, hotels may have been cheaper but not as much fun. Also it serves as a car at home so very pleased overall.

dynamicstall said:
Just done 80 touring Europe. With depreciation in mind, hotels may have been cheaper but not as much fun. Also it serves as a car at home so very pleased overall.

Fair play to you all ,it's good to see people using their cali's to the max,it's what the vehicle is all about :thumb

dynamicstall said:

I quite agree. We like hotels too, and stayed in a few, but for real quality of life the best nights were the ones spent free-camping in the places it would be hard to get to in the big white campers. The Cali's size and agility means that we can get to places that are inaccessible to many motor-homes.

Even though we have camped in all weathers you cant beat a Cali in summers like we have had this year

Looks like we weren't trying hard enough; some amazing commitment to the California cause on display here! :thumb

108 so far this year just returned from 4 week trip through France to Italy then down to Sicily, decided to catch ferry from Palermo to Genoa.
Now done 114,000 miles in Cali, and have loved driving every mile.

John :D

We have had about 60 nights in our ChArLIe in the following places though not necessarily in that order:
Belgium, near Ypres
France
Italy (Venice)
Switzerland
Austria
COTF
Cirencester
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
France again
and some other short UK trips

Brilliant vehicle! :D

I have my Cali (Brandy) two years now and spend 4 to 5 months in a warm country each Summer from about May to the end of September. Last year in Italy and this year in France. Have plans for Portugal next Summer if all goes well. I like to concentrate on one country and try to learn the language and get an idea of the whole without hurrying.
Number of nights about 280 so 140 per year more or less. I stay in Aires or Sostas many nights for free or for a small charge and then some nights in camp sites to take advantage of showers etc. I use mainly municiple camp sites during high season and that way the trip is reasonable. I park the van during the winter season when I am in Thailand. It's so great being retired and alone so I can do whatever I want.

Bought Charlie nearly two months ago now and had four really great nights away so far, not a lot but work commitments and other things that spoil weekends like Christenings, weddings ......limit this. I'm hopeing to get about fourty nights a year away and was wondering what other people average.

Ian

We bought our Cali in Nov. 2009 and camped our first night on April 12th 2010
2010 - 62 nights
2011 - only 32 nights (due to 3 weeks visiting our son in Canada in july)
2012 - ( wife 30 nights ), myself 37 nights.
2013 - 56 nights (37 of were in France and Spain, cicumnavigated the Pyrenees clockwise)
2014 - (wife 77 nights ) myself 83 nights ( 57 nights of which were again in Spain and France - started from Santander finished at St. Malo )
2015 - ??? booked the same Brittany Ferries as above from 7th April to 8th June that's 60 nights.
Totals (wife - 317 nights, myself 330 nights ) = 647 total person nights
Paid £35k for van (18 months old with 16,000 miles on clock)
so far van cost per person per night £54.10 not counting approx. £10 p/n camping fees per person)

Last edited:
We bought our Cali in Nov. 2009 and camped our first night on April 12th 2010
2010 - 62 nights
2011 - only 32 nights (due to 3 weeks visiting our son in Canada in july)
2012 - ( wife 30 nights ), myself 37 nights.
2013 - 56 nights (37 of were in France and Spain, cicumnavigated the Pyrenees clockwise)
2014 - (wife 77 nights ) myself 83 nights ( 57 nights of which were again in Spain and France - started from Santander finished at St. Malo )
2015 - ??? booked the same Brittany Ferries as above from 7th April to 8th June that's 60 nights.
Totals (wife - 317 nights, myself 330 nights ) = 647 total person nights
Paid £35k for van (18 mths old with 16000 mile on clock)
So far van cost per person per night £54.10. (Not counting approx. £10 p/n camp fees per person.

(Updated previous post here. I'd missed out the whole of 2010)

Not only is it how many nights away for us it is 365 days a year use for nearly 3 year now and 34000 miles. Can't remember a day when the Van has not left the drive.

Back