Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many nights per year?

When I was a kid, campsites had late arrivals areas.

They don't have them now :-( Last arrivals 8pm! or whatever.

So Friday night is often spent in a service station or more recently, wild camped somewhere. Campsites are loosing money by having too rigid rules.

But I guess something caused the change, possibly people turning up late and leaving early.

It's supply and demand I think Dan. For some reason, this year we've spent more time on high end sites favoured by the White Box on Wheels crowd.

Some of these sites clearly have more business than they can cope with and hence, enforce such rules along with the minimum 3 nights/Bank Holiday nonsense.

One place had a six pm arival curfew on Fridays. WTF?

Normally we go for the Glampy/Bo-Ho types sites where no such regulation exists.

I can understand it from a site owners perspective. Fill it with caravaners who sit inside and watch telly, don't use the site showers and cause no agro. Easy life.

S.

about 40 a year but will rise as No1 son is now in the RYA Zone sailing squad and that looks to be every other weekend with other events + holidays!!!

Just counted it up - 35 nights over the last year, including a two-week trip to Switzerland. I used to work out how much we'd saved in B&B costs - I've rather lost track of it, but it must be about £800 this year at least. It's not a straight 'number of nights' cost, as quite a few of the trips we only go on for the fun of sleeping in the van!

But, for us, we're not trying to cover the cost of the van in overnight savings, we just don't want it to cost more (in the long run) than running a car.

Anyway, even without overnighting, it's great to have the van to come back to after a day's walking, especially in the winter - take your boots off in comfort and have a cup of tea!

As far as we are concerned, we have our beloved Cali for 2 years and we travel with it around:
- 8 weekends (2 nights) a year
- 10 to 15 days of holidays during the summer.
So, 18 to 23 days in total.

Professional duties prevent more outings with the Cali. We are already pretty happy with that. We feel privileged.

Notwithstanding what I said in an earlier post, if we were counting all nights spent in the van as B&B-substitutes at say £30 pp pn, we'd only have to keep up the present rate (35 nights/year) for 14 years and the van will have paid for itself! :)

ejmoore said:
Notwithstanding what I said in an earlier post, if we were counting all nights spent in the van as B&B-substitutes at say £30 pp pn, we'd only have to keep up the present rate (35 nights/year) for 14 years and the van will have paid for itself! :)

I think you're looking to deeply..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

S.

I'm certainly thinking too long-term!

We've always been lucky enough to 'go away' a lot. It used to be a lot of weekends away on motorbikes, staying in hotels or B&B's. We used to end up eating lunch and dinner out, plus on the odd occasion, a beer or several...

With the Cali, we go away a lot more and it is less *expensive as the sites are cheaper and we almost always cook in or around the van (I also tend to drink less so I don't have to keep running to the facilities!) for me, that is where the value has been fantastic!

*I am ignoring the initially eye-watering cost of the van :D

Seriously, though, I have looked at the cost of the van and have reassured myself that if we can save enough money on overnights, we can completely cover the extra amount that having the van costs over having a car instead, which we would do otherwise. These are:

- higher insurance costs (considerable, as we live in London and have to park on the street);
- fewer miles to the gallon (but not bad: 34 or so)
- higher road tax
- higher parking permit cost

But we can offset against that:

- less depreciation
- overnight/holiday savings
- having a great time (priceless)

Just seen this thread, we took delivery of Charlie Brown in March 2013 and have spent 40 nights so far including a 3 week trip to the Dolomites.

Other than the 3 week stint most trips are 2 - 3 nights and being Dark Wood each trip is followed by cleaning inside and out. Im not obsessive, really. :bananadance

ejmoore said:
Seriously, though, I have looked at the cost of the van and have reassured myself that if we can save enough money on overnights, we can completely cover the extra amount that having the van costs over having a car instead, which we would do otherwise. These are:

- higher insurance costs (considerable, as we live in London and have to park on the street);

Hi Ejmoore,

I'm taking delivery of a Cali in March and will be in the same position, I.e. Parking on street in London. There doesn't seem to be many decent insurance options. Only reasonable quote I've had is from Safeguard at around £580 (including protected no claims). Who are you insured with?

Thanks
Dan
(P.s. Sorry for hijacking the thread)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi Dan, that sounds pretty good to me. Ours was through Adrian Flux (brokers). Not helped by OH crashing the car just before we bought the van! £800+! This year we are paying even more as we need business use too.

Ouch, that was bad luck! Might need to sell my car early to avoid any last minute mishaps!
Happy with the insurance quote, but must admit a little nervous about keeping it on the road, not in a particularly bad area, but it's....let's just say a little 'edgy'!

......And to contribute more to the thread topic, I reckon we'll be looking to do 20-30 nights away - will certainly be trying to do more than that but with a 3yr and 6mth old the logistics might get in the way!!

Cheers
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually scrub that, think 35nights will be a good target for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did a calculation of our usage this year..
Visiting relatives and sleeping on their driveway = 2 x 2 nights
Alderstead Heath = 1 night
Calis on the Farm = 2 nights
Scandinavian tour = 14 nights ...12 different campsites.
Shrewsbury = 1 night
France with the grandkids = 13 nights on the one campsite.
Birmingham Camping Show = 1 night
That's 36 nights for us....
then the daughter, her husband and grandkids have had 2 trips ..first one = 2 nights and second = 3 nights ....
then second son and girlfriend had 1 trip for 4 nights ...and might borrow it for a trip to Scotland over Christmas ...(brrr ..brrr ...need the heater for that one !!)
Grand total 45 nights so far in 2013.
Haven't checked the fuel bill !!!...but do know we are getting 35- 40 mpg, depending on the journeys....so a worthwhile investment from our perspective.
Enjoy
BTW.. wife has just joined me in retirement this year....so that makes a difference as well.

We have just returned from 10 days in Portugal and Spain, bringing our total up to 65. Just planning a trip to UK for a month over Christmas, then when we return we are off to Spain for 33 days, followed by a month in Portugal. We love the Cali and get out in it as much as possible.
Season's greetings to everyone.

Chris and Sally

I've had Connie - a midnight blue beach for around 18 months. I've managed to put over 20,000 miles on her and since January have roughly had:

20 nights in the Lakes
2 nights in Pembrokeshire
2 nights in Yorkshire Dales
6 nights in Galloway
4 nights on Llyn Peninsula
7 nights on Scottish Islands (Mull, Iona, Jura, Islay)
5 nights at Bedruthan steps

Longest stay trip was 21 continuous nights - and further trips are planned for October and Christmas. I teach - work 70+ during term and love the freedom of my van each break!

7 nights in Britanny
30 nights in Spain and France (just got back)
About 5 "party" nights at friends houses

So 42ish this year.

Did better last year!

The years not over yet :thumb I'm sure you can get some more in

We picked up our Cali late may and have done 7500 miles and 42 nights away and loving it,still a few more to do before end of year :D

We picked ours up late June and 12 nights so far and 8 booked for last week in September. We hope to fit in at least another 10 before the end of the year

Back