Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many nights per year?

I

igmac

VIP Member
Bought Charlie nearly two months ago now and had four really great nights away so far, not a lot but work commitments and other things that spoil weekends like Christenings, weddings ......limit this. I'm hopeing to get about fourty nights a year away and was wondering what other people average.

Ian

Not enough!

Probably best not to ask - just do your thing!

This year about 20 which is pathetic.
Work keeps getting in the way, looking forward to retirement!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Freeley said:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Retirements not all it's cracked up to be. You never get days off :D

Bought the van on April first 2013. Done 15,000miles

Broadbottom. 2 nights
Lake District. 2 nights
Wales. 3 nights
Lake District again 2 nights
COTF. 2 nights
Hereford. 1 night
France. 18 nights
Penrith. 2 nights
York, locked in a Park and Ride car park :!: . 1 night
Devon & Cornwall. 6 nights

39 nights total. Must try harder

Freeley said:

After 53 years at work I to was looking forward to retirement :D but what am I doing at this very moment, decorating the house :sad I keep thinking get it over with in the winter and away early next year :thumb
Ron.

Our new Cali is 15 months and spent at least 30 nights in it , had some bad luck on our first trip to the french alps when the Cali was brand new....my wife broke her foot / leg FOUR times!
Due to that we diden't go on any trips for six monhts as she not cold stand on her feet and was depenedple on a wheelchair the first trhee months after her accident. Happend above 2000meters on Alpes D'Huez , chopper had to pick her up :help
Took three hours operation and over ten screws to fix her... :crazy
The second year having my Cali at least want to dubble that 30 nights , short weekend trips for the most.
Sometimes whem i can't sleep in bed , thinking about swapping to the garage /Cali...wife don't agrree with it.... :headbang

Not quite retired but in the privileged position of being able to pick and choose part-time work projects. New Cali in March this year, already just turned 9000 miles:

approximately
March/April - 10 days various weekends in Scottish highlands
May/June - 40 days in France/Spain
July/August - 7 days in highlands
September/October - 55 days Holland/Germany/Austria/ Slovenia/Croatia/Italy/France/England

Say in region of 110-115 days so far... and still the winter to come!

We have averaged a little over 70/year.

then ÷ the cost of van by nights :mrgreen:

we have only done 30 nights but lots of days out at least 2 a week

We've just renewed the tax after our first full year of ownership. My wife keeps a diary of our travels and we worked out that we've spent the equivalent of 2 full weekends per month over the whole 12 months or ownership!

That does include one 2 week trip to France, a week in July, and a week over Easter, but the rest of our trips have all been weekends.

Around 45 including 33 nights in Spain and France.

It's not been camped in for a good couple of months though mainly thanks to wild weather :cry:

Looks like there are some heavy users out there....

We've averaged 61 nights/pa over the last two summers (according to the captains log).
We garage it during the winter.

They're meant to be used :thumb

S.

We've had our Cali Beach just over 3 weeks now and are planning our first trip away this weekend weather permitting ! Has anyone got any ideas? No more than 3 hours from the Midlands :thanks

You're going to be limited to any sites that are open all year round.

http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/ ... combe-farm

Should be achievable in 3 hours.
Open all year. Campfires. Good pubs within walking distance. Do book or you'll get a lecture upon arival :lol:

S.

Barefoot62 said:
We've had our Cali Beach just over 3 weeks now and are planning our first trip away this weekend weather permitting ! Has anyone got any ideas? No more than 3 hours from the Midlands :thanks

If you fancy Buxton, this one is ok, stayed there a couple of times in bad weather (my Avatar!)

http://www.cloverfieldstouringpark.co.uk/

dan

Tomorrow is the 2nd anniversary of Betty Bus owning us. I do miss tent camping a bit, but the van is a lot of fun and better for last minute get aways.

Not as hardcore as some on here, this year we did somewhere between 7,000 and 7,500 miles and slept in her for 49 nights I think. We've been to lots of new places, experienced lots of cool things and met some lovely people.

I think the worst place we camped was a service station on the M4. The nicest was probably a CL on the Gower.

dan

About 56 nights sleeping so far this year, plus visiting friends-may squeeze another couple of nights over new year!

My word what a diverse bunch we are, it’s really good to see other likeminded people enjoying their buses to the full, I can only hope to get as much as some of you. However, I guess it’s also true that it isn’t just the sleep overs that count. I’m probably not alone in doing the mental arithmetic thing where you work out the cost per night, currently £6,666.00 per night which is positively economical compared to my first night :lol:

igmac said:
My word what a diverse bunch we are, it’s really good to see other likeminded people enjoying their buses to the full, I can only hope to get as much as some of you. However, I guess it’s also true that it isn’t just the sleep overs that count. I’m probably not alone in doing the mental arithmetic thing where you work out the cost per night, currently £6,666.00 per night which is positively economical compared to my first night :lol:

:lol: :lol:

We did that for about the first 6 months then gave up. As it's also a regularly used van, I kind of think it's more than just a very small hotel. Maybe… :lol:

Whatever it cost, it gave us by far the best holiday we've EVER had earlier this year so it well worth it.

But at a rough guess, our has been a mere £600 a night now… :mrgreen:

Another way of phrasing the question : "how many nights a year... in the wild?".

This is all very interesting.

For some time now we've been gatering data/researching camping habits with a view to buying a site (once we find an optimum location location location).

We've concluded that a large number of people only do one nighters on a weekend, prefering to rock up on a Saturday than do the whole Friday/rush home from work/pack-up/sit in traffic thing.

Discuss.

sidepod said:
This is all very interesting.

For some time now we've been gatering data/researching camping habits with a view to buying a site (once we find an optimum location location location).

We've concluded that a large number of people only do one nighters on a weekend, prefering to rock up on a Saturday than do the whole Friday/rush home from work/pack-up/sit in traffic thing.

Discuss.

We often sneak a holiday Friday so that we can leave on Thursday night.
I'm not great at getting up and prefer to get somewhere late, wake up on a site and get a whole day .

We have a local site that won't let you stay Saturday night only- we don't go there

Running a campsite is my dream. *sigh*

I prefer two nights to one over the weekend so you ave the whole day on Saturday to explore. Often we will stay late on the Sunday - either paying the typical £5 charge for a late departure or moving the van into the carpark etc before going off walking/cycling. If we do a one nighter at the weekend, it will typically be just to meet friends somewhere and go for a meal/beer or late afternoon cycle based pub crawl! Occasionally, if we do a one nighter like that, we will do it on the Friday, going home on Sat - makes the weekend seem soooooo long!

We often prep the van on a Thu night for a quick departure on Fri. And often find ourselves running up against the late arrivals time limit.

Back