Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How heavy is bench seat

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
While I'm happy to lug stuff around a bit in our Cali, moving house with one would be a no no!

I'd hire a van - Enterprise and similar do good prices.

I tend to agree I sometimes lower the bed and place stuff on it. But carrying a lot of stuff would be a no no for me
The seat does come out but like you say is heavy and awkward. The damage you may cause to the Cali will outweigh
The cost of a hire van in my opinion.

We will have to bring our daughter back from Liverpool in a couple of months. The removal of the bench had crossed my mind but I think leaving it in place is by far the better solution. Careful boxing, securing and limiting any movement will, I think, solve that problem. Beyond that; £100+ for a van for the day by far outweighs the damage potential......You could always seek out a Transporter if you wanted to feel comfortable!!

Eric, A Transporter size van should not cost more than £50 for a day's hire, it would probably cost double that to repair a tiny damaged bit of trim. We do use our Cali as a van for dump runs etc.. but normally lay down several layers of tarpaulin.

In answer to your question Eric the bench seat is very heavy. I don't know why it has to be so heavy. :crazy

We took ours out today to use our cali to pick up a sofa. My wife could not lift it was so heavy so I had to get my neighbour to help. We really struggled and there is a lot of potential for damage.We also could have done with another guy to help get the seat back in.

Its a good idea to remove the tool storage and the plastic trim to the right side of the draw which will give you a better grip when handling the bench seat.

Only problem I now have after refitting it is that the handle that unlocks the seat, when sliding it on the runners, sticks out and will not return flat. It operates OK and the seat locks in position but the flap handle is not being fully pulled back to its starting position.

Anyone have any ideas :?:

Back