Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How Extreme Have You Been?

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We've ordered our first California (we're upgrading from a T2). Starting to dream about the possibilities of where we will get to. It would be lovely to see people's photos of the most extreme places they've been too and camped please.

Full set of winter tyres. Cali was fine, never slid at all wheras the Bongo, also 4wd, was on ordinary tyres. Just showed the difference they made.

Hi Lakelander - i am interested in your Iceland adventure - did you do a blog ?. How was the ferry crossing ? was it v expensive ?. thanks
If you can read German (Google Translate?), there is a lot of info on travel to and on Iceland with a Cali on the German Caliboard. Also lots of nice movies on YouTube about travel there with a Cali or Transporter. See them ford rivers, e.g. in this one!

We will be taking our 4Motion Cali there next year, we just booked the ferry. There is only one ferry line going there, from Hirtshals in Denmark. See www.smyrilline.com. On the trip going there we will stay over on the Faeroer islands a few days.
The only other options are shipping your Cali there as freight and fly yourself, or rent a campervan on the island (mostly Mitsubishi 4WD L200 or Landrovers, if you want to go into the highlands).
I am not certain about from the UK, but from NL either option is about equally expensive, some €2500-3000 for a return trip for one van and two people, a bit depending on the season.

There are many sites about travel to and on Iceland. A good start is www.visiticeland.com.

Last edited:
How does one describe "extreme"?

One person's white-knuckle is another person's adrenalin rush.

In generalist terms, I've left security behind, moved out of my comfort zone, camped in the most atrocious weather which, on one occasion, meant lying awake all night wondering whether the van would get blown over, been in a cul-de-sac so remote that if anything happened then it would be a week before anyone realised...

The Cali tears up the script. My genteel "2 year plan" has become a timeless agenda of exploration that if I live to be 125 I will have no time to fulfil.

You grab the cali with both hands, or more appropriately with 4 wheels driving together on the floor whilst the hands grip on for dear life. The Cali is a dream, not a nightmare, and it is a dream that you never wish to wake up from.

Back