Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hit from behind - advice please!

Maud

Maud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
On my way to work today, a BMW driver failed to brake soon enough whilst I was stationary in the road (small village street with parked cars along one side), waiting for a delivery truck to let me pass. The BMW hit Ariadne from behind and, upon closer inspection after work (after giving the bumper a clean) there is a long row of scratches, a small round dent (probably caused by the screw on her numberplate) and the centre of the bumper is slightly creased. It looks like the plastic bumper has been pushed up against the metal plate behind it. Although it is only cosmetic damage, she isn't three months old yet and it was so totally avoidable had the other driver been more observant and braked in time (I was stationary for at least five slow seconds before she hit Ariadne, so I cannot conceive that she had her eyes on the road ahead), so I am really rather upset about it :sad

My dad (better at these things than me) has had a look and thinks that it is likely to need replacing, so I would be grateful for any advice regarding bodyshops in the South Suffolk/North Essex area that anyone can either recommend or say 'stay clear of'.

Also, for anyone who has had a bumper replaced, what sort of cost am I likely to be looking at? The other driver has admitted full responsibility but says that she wants to pay for it privately rather than through the insurance (it's a company vehicle so I can only assume she doesn't want them to know about it). There was only a very small dent on her front bumper but I imagine it must be fairly scratched too, under the dust from the road.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Maud (and a bruised Ariadne)

Sorry to hear that Maud :( what a downer.

If you paid for legal expenses with your insurance, you would be as well to go to them; obviously explain that you do not want to claim on your own policy or affect your NCB; and they will look after your interests.

Sorry to hear this Maud, if they are willing to pay, make sure you get the quote from a VW approved body shop.

Sorry to hear this....:(

Agree with the above, insurance company is the best way to go....these things can get complicated otherwise !

I can't see any change out of £1000 for a new bumper so I doubt they will stump that up. Glad your ok

I can't see any change out of £1000 for a new bumper so I doubt they will stump that up. Glad your ok
No, they are likely to change their tune when they find out how much it could cost.

I'd tell her that "I'm sorry, but due to my vehicle being only 3 months old, I want to go through the insurance.". If she is worried about her no claims, she still doesn't need to claim on her policy. I once paid my insurance company back for a claim. I'd been hit in a car park, and no note left. I initially claimed on insurance, but eventually negotiated my no claims back.

Maud,

I am so sorry to read this. The joy, the happiness, the sheer exhilaration that you get from a virtually new Ariadne and this happens. You must feel absolutely sick.

I cannot improve on the above advice, all I can do is to express my sorrow and sadness that this has happened. She will recover, you will recover, but something that you really do not need.

My thoughts with you.

Jen

Maud.
I hope you took her details at the time. I had a case where the owners of a dog that damaged my car outside their business premises admitted liability at the time. When I returned with an estimate, they denied at the incident had happened. I do simpathise with you, it is a ball ache every time you change your insurance, to have to say you have made a claim. Also, I had the identical RTC whilst waiting at a traffic light. The third party settled for everything, including months of medical treatment, but my Son's insurance went up by £100 a year for three years because I am named on his policy. So, if you can get her to settle without involving your insurance company, it may save some on-going grief .

Regards,
Ian.

Maud.
I hope you took her details at the time. I had a case where the owners of a dog that damaged my car outside their business premises admitted liability at the time. When I returned with an estimate, they denied at the incident had happened.
A good enough reason in itself to inform insurance company immediately.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to turn it over to your insurance company to deal with. It's what you pay for. If after some time has gone by, you discover more damage than is immediately apparent (which can easily happen with a complex modern vehicle) and the other party suddenly gets shy about paying then it may get difficult. Don't worry too much about how the other party wants to do it - they hit you in an easy to avoid accident after all!

Sorry to hear that Maud....horrible thing to happen with your lovely new Call. I sure with those who say to get your insurance company involved.....it's to protect you not her

I would get it to a dealer ASAP and get the damage checked out properly. A colleague of my other half had a similar incident and just looking at it it appeared to be just the bumper that was damaged. When it was inspected it had caused more damage to the structure of the car. The way vehicles are designed nowadays is to crumple to absorb the energy of the impact. Not wishing to alarm you but get it checked.

Look for witnesses asap. People get very forgetful very quickly. Horrid thing to happen. Even if they pay you should inform your insewerants anyway.

Thank you so much everyone for your replies; this really is the friendliest forum and you have all made me feel just that little bit better at the end of a not-so-good day. I have been so fastidiously careful with Ariadne, parking in isolation, looking out eagle-eyed for upcoming potholes and arriving at work early each day to ensure the biggest parking space, and then this happens as if to mock my attempts to retain her perfectly new loveliness. I know I can't wrap her in cotton wool forever, but I was hoping for a little more than three months! Still, I know it could have been much worse and these things do happen - thankfully no one was hurt and the other driver was very apologetic about it so I didn't have to deal with any confrontation (I think I would have burst into tears standing in the road otherwise).

I do agree though that she may not be prepared for how much this could end up costing her. I have phoned my insurance (Comfort) to ask their advice also and they said that if she is happy to settle it outside of the insurance, it would mean that I could avoid the situation you speak of, Ian210, whereby my history shows a claim despite it being a no-fault one. However, he has taken a full statement of all the details to make an official notification so that it is down on record for now, and I can ask them to start claim proceedings at any time. I have spoken to the other driver on the phone this evening to let her know that the damage is worse than it initially looked and that, as the Cali is so new, I will need to take her to a VW approved bodyshop to assess the damage and either have the bumper repaired or replaced (not a phone call I enjoyed making as I feel bad for her having to pay too, foolish as that seems). She seemed okay with this and still said that she would pay for it herself. I will try to get a quote over the weekend so that I can let her know early next week and then see if she still wants to go ahead with paying outside of insurance.

I have never had to deal with anything like this before so it's all a bit daunting and your support means a lot.

Thank you once again,

Maud

Sorry to hear this Maud. The approach listed above is correct and I think once you have the estimate and her response you will be able to gauge the way it is going to proceed.

Give Ariadne a hug from me.

Sorry to hear of your bump. New rear bumper on my son's new Suzuki swift was best part of £1.5 K, official body shop. So expect she will change mind on paying cash as other have said. + do not forget if you need a car while repaired that will cost her as well.

hi Maud...remember that in future you will still need to tell any insurer that this happened even if you don't claim. I know from personal experience that they will attempt to use any excuse to get out of paying a claim if they can - "any accidents in the last 5 yeasrs" doesn't just mean those you've claimed on!

You also need to get ready for 5 years worth of annoying phone calls
HAD AN ACCIDENT WERE YOU INJURED? I still get them 6 years after someone hit me

If got hit from behind in my Cali , defanatly fill in the incurance form , see what coasts there are and depending on that , the 2nd partner can disside to pay for coasts itself or go on thru with the incurance claim .
Just think what another would do if you hit them from behind , they probaly wont' say
Hey buy me a beer and we forget about it...!?

Good morning Maud ...

I hope you feel a bit better today :rolleyes:

Ariadne will be repaired back to her youthful, glorious beauty. You will sort out the hassle with the insurance and getting it repaired. In front are years and years of joy and pleasure together.

I hope it goes well for you today ...,

Jen

I have just managed to hook the front bumper on a rock when reversing and ripped it off the mountings and that's about £750to get it fixed, no structural damage just plastic to give you an idea of the cost

I have just managed to hook the front bumper on a rock when reversing and ripped it off the mountings and that's about £750to get it fixed, no structural damage just plastic to give you an idea of the cost
There a place near us repairs motorcycle fairings, which are made of similar material, and the costs are very reasonable. Might be worth a Google to see if there is anyone in your area.

Maud, really sorry to hear what's happened.

From working in the insurance and now legal industry I would say always involve your insurance company and progress the claim through them if you're not at fault

These are complex vehicles, modern vehicles are designed to absorb energy from accidents though various crumple zones. What appears to be small damage to a bumper could be hiding all sorts of damage and also affect the protection you have in future accidents (hopefully this will never happen again)

At the end of the day, it's your pride and joy, you don't owe her anything. She's negligent, you should be protecting yourself - that's what your insurance is for.

Finally, you have the choice where your vehicle is repaired not your insurer. Insist on a VW approved body shop

Good luck

Richard

1963 15 window splitscreen
2015 California SE 180 DSG Blackberry metallic

Back