Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hindsight

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Would I do it again, err, probably not. :Nailbiting 1 in 3 with snow.

After camping at Wasdale over the weekend my mate and I decided to come back over Hardnott Pass.
The problem is that once committed it's virtually impossible to turn round so we just carried on.
The really scary bit is coming down, both of us in 4wd, Bongo on general M&S tyres, us on full winters with the diff locked and traction control off. Clear from the tracks where the Bongo struggled a bit and locked up on the way down. The Cali took it in its stride, even starting off again on the steep bits.
We both got severe talkings to from respective ladies at the bottom. ;)
The video's rather long but can be skipped through.

BTW. I hope our Cali does as well as that Bongo, 270k miles with only routine maintenance, still going strong.

Gorgeous video!! It's what a Cali is for!

Um..... yup!

Did you know what it was likely to look like when you set off?

Impressive work from both vehicles!!

Awesome video, great car cam.:thumb

What a great video. Just watched it with some accompanying music. Lovely stuff!

First post I've seen on here that has seriously made me wish I'd considered 4WD :cool:

Absolutely fab video. I'm glad we've ordered the 4wd after watching that descent. Would have loved to hear the audio but imagine there were too many bleeps to broadcast :)

I would love to have heard the audio that accompanied that video. Somehow I don 't think you will be repeating that anytime soon, not if SWMBO has anything to say about it.
Well done.:thumb

That' s what they call ....adventure....:thumb
+1 for the 4wd Cali

Great video Briwy :thumb

Out of interest what was your rationale for turning the traction control off?

Great vid, can we have some more; saves a lot of diesel watching on here:D

Great video Briwy :thumb

Out of interest what was your rationale for turning the traction control off?

Well opinion varies but I always turn it of in conditions like this. Turning it off stops the electronics playing games. I don't want the wheels braking when the vehicle thinks it should, that can lock the wheel and that's not good news going down hills like that.
Going down I started off in bottom gear but even that was too fast and it was actually driving the Cali down the hill so it was mainly creeping down in neutral with very light braking to stop locks ups and loss of steering.

And no, we didn't realise it was going to be that bad, no snow low down and we expected a light dusting higher up. Just shows how wrong you can be in the mountains.

Better get the OS brake light sorted before MOT time.:thumb

Great video, just out of interest is that a proper dash camera and if so what type is it, I am thinking of getting one but there are so many to choose from.

Great video, just out of interest is that a proper dash camera and if so what type is it, I am thinking of getting one but there are so many to choose from.

Yes it's a DOD LS760W. The quality from the camera is excellent, a lot better than the YouTube video which I had to compress to get it down to a reasonable size to upload.

Hmm, I can't stop thinking what would happen, if there would be another car coming in your way in that snow.
4538943296_1fe3c2fc95.jpg

I cycled up the Hardnott pass on my mountain bike, wouldn't like to drive up or down it though!
We drove over the Grossglockner pass last september, which was fantastic....but nowhere near as steep as the Hardnott pass.

Back