Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Glass falling out of door mirrors

R

Randwick

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Driving in Spain last week the glass in the right hand mirror suddenly started vibrating then fell off and shattered, leaving a nice long scratch down that side of the van. I had it replaced by a VW dealer ((93 euros!). The dealer had known it to happen before. The glass is stuck on the plastic moulding that moves and the glue had simply failed. Then on Thursday the glass in the other mirror started wobbling but we stopped in time to catch the mirror as it fell out. It's now taped in place temporarily.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I've emailed VW customer services and will post their reply - no fun driving without side mirrors!

Driving in Spain last week the glass in the right hand mirror suddenly started vibrating then fell off and shattered, leaving a nice long scratch down that side of the van. I had it replaced by a VW dealer ((93 euros!). The dealer had known it to happen before. The glass is stuck on the plastic moulding that moves and the glue had simply failed. Then on Thursday the glass in the other mirror started wobbling but we stopped in time to catch the mirror as it fell out. It's now taped in place temporarily.

I've emailed VW customer services and will post their reply - no fun driving without side mirrors!
Not seen any Forum posts regarding this problem so doesn’t seem to be a common problem.

My drivers side fell off last summer but didn't smash as i was parked up.
I put it down to the extreme heat, it was in the high 30's
stuck it back on with number plate adhesive pads

Ah does it on the 5/6 as well then.....:cheers

That is terrible to hear, sorry that this happen during the holiday.

I think this is unacceptable, it doesn't matter how warm or cold it is. A few things are unavoidable, just worn out or a user mistake. A mirror falling off is neither of this.

I have heard this from a Taxi driver with a 4 year old Sharan. Terrible.

I see this simple as bad quality. A vehicle that expensive should not come up with something like this. VW should be ashamed when they hear it and replace it free of charge regardless of the age of the van.

Eberhard

That is terrible to hear, sorry that this happen during the holiday.

I think this is unacceptable, it doesn't matter how warm or cold it is. A few things are unavoidable, just worn out or a user mistake. A mirror falling off is neither of this.

I have heard this from a Taxi driver with a 4 year old Sharan. Terrible.

I see this simple as bad quality. A vehicle that expensive should not come up with something like this. VW should be ashamed when they hear it and replace it free of charge regardless of the age of the van.

Eberhard
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you - glue shouldn't fail. So far VW Customer Services have asked whether the vehicle is in warranty (no, it's 8 years old) and suggest I take it to a dealer to have the problem 'diagnosed'. I'll let teh forum know what happens next.

If this is a known problem registred at VW you might get something, but
do you think any car manufacturar will worry about a mirror glas that comes of on a 8y old verhicle , just order a new and replace it yourself .

it happened on my golf. just bought a new glass that came with some sticky backing on it. stuck it on myself on a nice warm day. in answer to your question....yes it happens

Well, I tried .... got absolutely nowhere with VW, even tried the MD. The company wouldn't accept that replacing the way the glass was glued on originally ( a few squiggles of adhesive, which is what failed) with numerous sticky pads suggested that they knew there was a problem.
So far a couple of adhesive pads from an accessory shop are holding the glass in place as John Towers suggested, so if your mirror glass looks wobbly that's the answer.

Happened to us today on Autoroute in France in 38 deg heat! Thankfully no damage to van. Now need to try and find a replacement if anyone has any suggestions? We are travelling via Strasbourg tomorrow to Meesburg Lake Constance.

It used to happen to me, although the cause was not so much the ambient temperature as the bus that hit the mirror. From then on every time I went over a bump the glass would fall out hanging off a couple of stuck on electrical cables. Don't bless sided tape and avoiding busses fixed it.

Both wing mirrors in my Golf started to loosen in the recent heatwave. I got some double sided gorilla mounting tape and secured them. I’ve had no issues since.

Since having the wing mirror replaced in Spain as above in 2018 the other side's glass mirror came loose and I removed it before it fell off and shattered and stuck it back with double sided sticky pads - that worked for a few years until a delivery van knocked the whole mirror off again in June this year In France ......