Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Garmin Dashcam

pingpal6

pingpal6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Has anyone used a Garmin Dash Cam Quick Power Adaptor (OBD) to power a Garmin dashcam?
492566.jpg

Very interesting! I was just about to order a Garmin dashcam from Halfords and pay for the hard-wiring (£35). If this works, I'd prefer it to letting Halfords loose on my Cali.

Very interesting! I was just about to order a Garmin dashcam from Halfords and pay for the hard-wiring (£35). If this works, I'd prefer it to letting Halfords loose on my Cali.
Halfords stock this£44.99p

Got one from Amazon and just tried it - seems to work fine. Only annoying thing is that today they've dropped the price from £44.99 to £38.20 :(

That's annoying but thanks for the feedback. You are entitled to return free within 30 days and re-order

Thinking of ditching a Hardwire kit for this. As sourcing a constant power from dash fuse box is a bit tricky on T6.1 ( some fuses are timed power so mine is off after a couple of hours ).

Last edited:
Halfords refused to fit mine, said the california was to complicated so i did it myself.

Thinking of ditching a Hardwire kit for this. As sourcing a constant power from dash fuse box is a bit tricky on T6.1 ( some fuses are timed power so mine is off after a couple of hours ).

As well as ease of fitting, the Garmin power unit has a switch which allows you to choose whether you want constant power, switch off after 24 hours or switch off after 10 mins from ignition off. Should mean I only need y to have it drawing constant power if I’m parked somewhere other than my driveway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But what if you already use the OBD port for something else (such as the VW Dongle) - then hard wiring is the only option.

Halfords refused to fit mine, said the california was to complicated so i did it myself.
Credit to Halfords for honesty! Better than having a go and buggering it up!
Was it the OBD or fuse connection?

Credit to Halfords for honesty! Better than having a go and buggering it up!
Was it the OBD or fuse connection?
They said they couldnt find an unswitched supply near the top of the screen and weren't prepaired to spend time finding one elsewhere as the only got £25.00 for the job. Their words not mine.

They said they couldnt find an unswitched supply near the top of the screen and weren't prepaired to spend time finding one elsewhere as the only got £25.00 for the job. Their words not mine.
You got off lightly! The thought of them poking around with the control panel wiring is worrying.

I wired-up my Garmin dashcam to the OBD power supply today. Whole job done in probably less than 20 minutes with the USB cable tucked up into the headlining and down the A pillar rubber seal. Seems to work as advertised. I've set the OBD power supply to switch off after 10 mins from ignition off. I think if I park away from home I'll flip the swtich over to '24 hours' so the camera stays active. Feels like a much easier DIY option than messing with fuses.

I wired-up my Garmin dashcam to the OBD power supply today. Whole job done in probably less than 20 minutes with the USB cable tucked up into the headlining and down the A pillar rubber seal. Seems to work as advertised. I've set the OBD power supply to switch off after 10 mins from ignition off. I think if I park away from home I'll flip the swtich over to '24 hours' so the camera stays active. Feels like a much easier DIY option than messing with fuses.
Just a thought….. does the OBD supply have fuse protection? (I’d assume so).

Just a thought….. does the OBD supply have fuse protection? (I’d assume so).
As it's a Garmin product, I'm trusting it's designed and built properly - unlike some cheapo Chinese OBD power supplies on eBay which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

As it's a Garmin product, I'm trusting it's designed and built properly - unlike some cheapo Chinese OBD power supplies on eBay which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.
I was thinking more about whether the OBD port that will be supplying the Garmin was fed via a fuse In the Cali. As you say the Garmin kit should be well made.

Back