Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Time Towing with the Cali.. Excellent!

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Had my first proper tow experience yesterday picking up a new toy and was massively impressed how stable the van felt, power wise you could feel it but wasn't a problem, I predict my old 140 might have been hard work but what a machine the Cali is :thumb

IMG_1301_zps4np4bm5v.jpg

Nice combination...!

Hi, I'm just about to purchase a Cali for the same purpose and use as a motorsport support vehicle. I see from your profile you have a manual. Was that through choice with towing in mind? I can see both good and bad points for manual vs DSG for towing and can't make up my mind!

180 Manual was partly chosen as it's the fastest combo and i've always been an enthusiast driver and the hesitance on pull away with DGS I've read about wouldn't suit my driving style, it was also partly because me and my wife have only ever driven manuals, and lastly as I saw the price of the option as a waste of money for us.
It's a not a daily driver and is mainly used long distance and the cruise control is awesome.
Never considered the towing benefit lol

Had my first proper tow experience yesterday picking up a new toy and was massively impressed how stable the van felt, power wise you could feel it but wasn't a problem, I predict my old 140 might have been hard work but what a machine the Cali is :thumb

IMG_1301_zps4np4bm5v.jpg
Like it :thumb

Will the Cali fit on the trailer in case you need to tow it with the Beetle ? ;)

With its massive 40bhp it had originally minus the ponies that escaped over the last 52 years I doubt it could pull the trailer without the Cali :Nailbiting

IMG_1301_zps4np4bm5v.jpg
Hi Rippers,
Very interesting.
I am collecting our new T5 180 dsg 4motion this week. I too need to occasionally tow a Brian James Sprint Shuttle trailer with a veteran car inside. Combined weight around 1.6 tonnes. As ours is an ex demo Cali it had dsg fitted so had no choice as to which gearbox to have. I am a little nervous about towing with dsg as I have read that towing isn't good for auto boxes. Whist I am aware that the dsg isn't a conventional auto box, I am hoping that it will cope well without being adversely affected. Given the choice, I would feel more comfortable towing with a manual.
Until I know how it reacts, I will be stopping every hour to let things cool down.
Very nice Cali and outfit you have there. I love the colour.
Best wishes
Paul

I've never towed until a couple of months ago. I have a 180 DSG and it's brilliant. Just towed a large caravan from Penrith to the Dordogne via Hull,ZeeBruge,and the peripherique and I can't believed how easy it was. The Cali is a super towing vehicle.
Of course a small road side bollard had to jump out at me 4 miles from our destination, just to spoil the fun.
Would recommend the Cali to anyone as a tow vehicle. Just keep your eyes open.
Have Fun
Bob

I've never towed until a couple of months ago. I have a 180 DSG and it's brilliant. Just towed a large caravan from Penrith to the Dordogne via Hull,ZeeBruge,and the peripherique and I can't believed how easy it was. The Cali is a super towing vehicle.
Of course a small road side bollard had to jump out at me 4 miles from our destination, just to spoil the fun.
Would recommend the Cali to anyone as a tow vehicle. Just keep your eyes open.
Have Fun
Bob
Hi Bob,
Thanks for your comments, very encouraging.
Sorry to hear about the bollard incident. Hope it didn't cause too much damage.
Best wishes
Paul

Just a word of warning for those towing to keep an eye on their GVW. With a trailer nose weight of 100kg and very low payload capacity and rear axle limit, they can get a bit tight with some passengers, tools, etc. I am in the process of purchasing and have already decided I will need to upgrade the rear suspension and then GVW rating to stay on the right side of the law.

Just a word of warning for those towing to keep an eye on their GVW. With a trailer nose weight of 100kg and very low payload capacity and rear axle limit, they can get a bit tight with some passengers, tools, etc. I am in the process of purchasing and have already decided I will need to upgrade the rear suspension and then GVW rating to stay on the right side of the law.

Its a good cautionary tale. I have towed with LR's for years and you frankly are spoiled by the experience.

When deciding to go to a Cali, encouraged by the 2.5 T towing capacity and the sleeping capacity, I had to down rate my BJ trailer to ensure I was legal. The rules are complex but I can now confidently tow my BJ Trailer, race car and 8 wheels on a tyre rack. But, and there is always a but, taking care that the GTW is not exceeded requires thought and my spares and passengers carried in the van require thought rather than throwing it in....

100Kg nose weight is not bad though and it tows very well for a 2WD.

Thanks, this is excellent advise.

Hi - I bought my cali in March to tow my race cars - I have a 180 4-motion DSG and it is brilliant - I have been all over the country and to Zandvoort and back with no hassles at all, it is really stable and ticks all the boxes. I am going to fit a reversing camera as lining up to hitch the trailer can be tricky, otherwise a great combo. I am now considering buying a Brian James Race Shuttle, but a bit wary of the additional weight.
David

Hi - I bought my cali in March to tow my race cars - I have a 180 4-motion DSG and it is brilliant - I have been all over the country and to Zandvoort and back with no hassles at all, it is really stable and ticks all the boxes. I am going to fit a reversing camera as lining up to hitch the trailer can be tricky, otherwise a great combo. I am now considering buying a Brian James Race Shuttle, but a bit wary of the additional weight.
David

I had a race shuttle and sold it as the weight was too near the limit for my liking.

If you want a quick and effective rear view camera that you can move, try this:

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/swift-hitch-reversing-camera.html

I am interested in the DSG experience as that's the only thing I would change on my van.

Thanks - looks a handy gadget - I initially went to look at a used manual 4-motion but the dealer had sold it so I got seduced into buying their showroom queen which was DSG - I was a manual forever kind of person until we lived in the states then got converted, at least for everyday use - living and commuting in the S East an auto is almost a necessity.
My recent tow vehicles have been autos - a Mitsubishi Shogun and Audi Allroad and I found them to be fine, the DSG in the Cali was also a boon back in the summer when we took nearly nine hours to travel from Ashford to Harrogate!! It's rare when you can say the M25 was the fastest part of your journey!
The DSG box works well when towing but I think the next thing to change is to upgrade and lift the rear suspension - when loaded it has a saggy backside look!
David

Thanks - looks a handy gadget - I initially went to look at a used manual 4-motion but the dealer had sold it so I got seduced into buying their showroom queen which was DSG - I was a manual forever kind of person until we lived in the states then got converted, at least for everyday use - living and commuting in the S East an auto is almost a necessity.
My recent tow vehicles have been autos - a Mitsubishi Shogun and Audi Allroad and I found them to be fine, the DSG in the Cali was also a boon back in the summer when we took nearly nine hours to travel from Ashford to Harrogate!! It's rare when you can say the M25 was the fastest part of your journey!
The DSG box works well when towing but I think the next thing to change is to upgrade and lift the rear suspension - when loaded it has a saggy backside look!
David

I have had 3 automatic disco's so I do miss the convenience and if I was to keep a Cali and the DSG works for towing it will be on the list.

Picked up another new toy, 15ft trailer this time with heavier load and yet again the Cali was excellent!

F0914AEE-30FD-40C6-9F20-04ECF1376DB8_zpsqlj3tdxg.jpg

740536B4-EF01-48C8-922B-93AC5A50D804_zpsntibnb10.jpg
Very nice, Cali, new trailer and the split screen. Is it a new project?

I hire the trailers, theres a really good local firm GT Towing that charges around ÂŁ75 for 24hr this trailer was brand new!
Yes another project needs a small amount of welding then MOT and register.

I hire the trailers, theres a really good local firm GT Towing that charges around ÂŁ75 for 24hr this trailer was brand new!
Yes another project needs a small amount of welding then MOT and register.
Well it looks very nice in your photo especially in that colour scheme. What an exciting project!

I was talking to the old boy who owns this setup at the Pau Historic GP this year. It's a 180 2wd manual and he tows a 50s Cooper GP car all over Europe following the classic GP circuit. Says he sits at 80mph on the motorways. Had it for eighteen months, not a spot of bother either with the Cali of trailer.

I've taken the plunge and bought a Brian James Race Transporter 4 and towed it to Goodwood for the first time a few weeks ago. The outfit was very stable and although I could feel more cross winds than with an open trailer, the cali towed it all really well. I think I will fit a spring upgrade to the rear to stop the sag but other than that its earning its keep!

I've taken the plunge and bought a Brian James Race Transporter 4 and towed it to Goodwood for the first time a few weeks ago. The outfit was very stable and although I could feel more cross winds than with an open trailer, the cali towed it all really well. I think I will fit a spring upgrade to the rear to stop the sag but other than that its earning its keep!
Thats interesting. I also have one of these Race Shuttles and very good they are too but haven't towed it with our Cali yet. I suspected that a spring upgrade would be required as the standard 180 4motion stance is already low at the a**e end. Can it be done on the 4 motion?

I've been told the Pedders rear suspension upgrade is available for the 4 motion and raises it by a few cm but the new springs and shocks help prevent further sagging I will look at getting a set in the new year

Fitted the Pedders kit today and it has transformed the look will post some pics soon, but very simple to install - once we had disconnected the rear drive-shafts!! Took it out for a test drive and could swear the handling was better than before, but then I have only covered 3k miles so far in total.Will try a trailer in the week to really test the value.