Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First 3 Days

Jaydub

Jaydub

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So having collected our Beach from VW Manchester on Monday,then driving home to Wiltshire.Tuesday down to the beach at Boscombe and today just local to show the in laws. So far 400 miles done at 42.6 mpg and still showing 300 miles range. Very comfortable on the motorways and sits very comfortably at 70 mph with the cruise control on.loving the colour (salsa red) even after 400 miles of salt still hid the dirt well.Just finished 2 hours of cleaning before tucking away to bed in the garage.Terrifying ! With only 10mm clearance either side of the mirrors with them folded in and 40mm in length. very tight fit. Once in its fine as a double garage but the two single doors with a pillar in the middle is a pain. Looking forward to our first night away and many new adventures. After 3 days our only regret now are not upgrading the wheels, so on the look out for some 17/18" silver/black alloys. Kenwood DNX525dab goes in next week so will then have sat nav,Bluetooth,music streaming,iPhone charging,dab radio and DVD player,saving a small fortune over the VW factory fit options.With the latest software update also gives directions in the drivers info screen as well as maps on the 7" screen.2 very pleased new owners with smug grins on their faces.

image.jpg

Nice one guys... what a great way to end the year...

Here's to enjoying next!

Great colour.

Rgds
Mark

Looks like i will have to update mine to have the DIS display working as it should

DMB9R said:
Looks like i will have to update mine to have the DIS display working as it should
The guy from Kenwood told me at the NEC show so I'm taking his word for it at the moment, will know for sure next week. Have the latest updates on usb stick ready to go in.

Nice van & nice to be able to keep it indoors! I once saw a guy with a huge motorhome reverse a Smart onto a tiny trailer in one go, really easily, right up to within a few mm of a large storage container (at the front of the trailer - almost as big as the car) He had fixed two blocks to the floor of the trailer that he simply reversed the wheels up against, making it really easily to accurately position the car.

Californiaman said:
Nice van & nice to be able to keep it indoors! I once saw a guy with a huge motorhome reverse a Smart onto a tiny trailer in one go, really easily, right up to within a few mm of a large storage container (at the front of the trailer - almost as big as the car) He had fixed two blocks to the floor of the trailer that he simply reversed the wheels up against, making it really easily to accurately position the car.

Feel much happier keeping it in doors plus can load up under cover ready to go, the plus side of the sliding on the drivers side :thumb . Think 2015 will mean a quote to convert garage doors into one large double door rather than the two singles.

Interested to read about - Kenwood DNX525dab.We are expecting delivery in March hopefully and decided not to have the factory fitted option. This looks likes a good substitute. Are we talking about £1,100 fitted?

Mags21 said:
Interested to read about - Kenwood DNX525dab.We are expecting delivery in March hopefully and decided not to have the factory fitted option. This looks likes a good substitute. Are we talking about £1,100 fitted?

Shop around and can get for around £900 so around £1300 cheaper than VW dab,Bluetooth and sat nav, plus the Kenwood can have speed camera locations downloaded and can have a rear parking camera added.should also get better audio quality due to the superior amplification. Once installed I will put a right up on the forum.

the sound from the 525 is exceptional. we watched a film last time we were out and it's like cinema sound from the 8 speakers.

DMB9R said:
the sound from the 525 is exceptional. we watched a film last time we were out and it's like cinema sound from the 8 speakers.
Are those 8 speakers standard or an option?
RCD210 had only 4 speakers it seams.

Interested in this Kenwood as well. VW garage recommended it.

I wouldn't discount the RNS510, everyone seems to compare the Kenwood at £1000 and the VW one at £2500!

The RNS510 can be brought from a reputable dealer for £600, it integrates perfectly with the DIS and Steering Wheel and is factory. It's basically plug and play too (install in 20 mins).

Happy with mine, especially with DAB. Best feature for me is that it displays the current speed limit for the section of road you're on. Voice control useful too.

I'd be more nervous of the Kenwood being stolen, and to be honest it looks a little 'flashy' for my tastes, hate all those graphics and effects.

If I didn't have Sat Nav from factory, I'd go and compare the Kenwood for sure, but don't automatically think it's the only option.

reserves said:
I wouldn't discount the RNS510, everyone seems to compare the Kenwood at £1000 and the VW one at £2500!

The RNS510 can be brought from a reputable dealer for £600, it integrates perfectly with the DIS and Steering Wheel and is factory. It's basically plug and play too (install in 20 mins).

Happy with mine, especially with DAB. Best feature for me is that it displays the current speed limit for the section of road you're on. Voice control useful too.

I'd be more nervous of the Kenwood being stolen, and to be honest it looks a little 'flashy' for my tastes, hate all those graphics and effects.

If I didn't have Sat Nav from factory, I'd go and compare the Kenwood for sure, but don't automatically think it's the only option.
So VW sells a £600 option for £2500?
Interesting!

zeratul said:
So VW sells a £600 option for £2500?
Interesting!

VW510RNS £600 in the open market, Kenwood £900 in open market.

Kenwood install complete,just off out to try sat nav and dab reception.looks very neat even has the blue vw logo on startup screen.fully covered by warranty and with removable front panel not worried about security.usb and hdmi sockets neatly in the glovebox.full review when I've had chance for a good play.

reserves said:
Just wondering: are there more things in the open market that are cheaper than when ordered with the car? Tyres, alloys, heater, ?

zeratul said:
reserves said:
Just wondering: are there more things in the open market that are cheaper than when ordered with the car? Tyres, alloys, heater, ?

RNSxxx stereos are cheap in the open market as they have been fitted to VW cars for ages. They are now end of life (new Golfs have new style stereos, and most other VW cars are drifting over to the new style, I guess / hope the T6 has new style stereos)

It is criminal that they still charge 2000+ quid for them, but that is probably the going rate for factory fitted Sat Nav.

Our van was fitted with an RCD310, and I swapped for a 2nd hand RNS510 and for that I am happy - but if I had paid 2000 extra for it I would be pretty disappointed - it is quite slow as it is old tech. However as stated previously they do integrate seamlessly with the Van and it will add value to the van when sold.

The best feature of the 510 is not the sat nav, but the 30GB harddisk which you can load tonnes of music onto :)

Finally as they are so common in the market (thanks to being in most VW's, Seats and Skodas) there is lots of support and updates available :)

Jaydub said:
loving the colour (salsa red) even after 400 miles of salt still hid the dirt well

Love the Salsa red - when we got our Van I went to look at a Salsa red, but it was sold when we arrived. I couldn't wait for a factory build so ended up with a sensible Grey. Surprised there are not more Reds around.

+1 reserves. Fitting 3rd party integrated systems is all very well, until there is a problem. Then you can end up with each party blaming the other for causing the problem with you as piggy in the middle. Whilst under warranty I'll stick with the 510, out of warranty if there is a problem with the unit then who knows.
And do not think that having a 3rd party ICE integrated unit fitted by a Dealership will protect you. It doesn't, personal experience.

ICE- In Car Entertainment.

From what I read on price list, one can buy the RNS 510 sat nav with DAB+ along with

laminated glass in cab (£510)
privacy glass in passenger compartment (£306)
leather mfsw (£210)
auto-dimming rear view mirror,
3-zone Climatronic a/c (£732)
Bluetooth premium

for £2,706.
That leaves the cost of RNS 510 at £948. I know nothing about these electronic devices and would appreciate any advice re value for money.

:thanks in advance

With the Kenwood unit, can you visually see the infor from your parking sensors while parking?

With the Kenwood unit, can you visually see the infor from your parking sensors while parking?
If you have factory fitted parking sensors you get a colour parking display on the touch screen,plus you can upgrade to a parking camera.if you have climate control you would also get the heating settings on screen.

Back