Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fiamma f45s Awning - LHD or RHD or does it not matter?

CliffLonsdale

CliffLonsdale

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, I've got a 2016 LHD T6 (7 seater) California Beach SWB and I'm looking into adding a Fiamma F45s roll-out awning. The sliding door is on the right hand side of the vehicle, which I think is the same on the RHD. As the awning will be situated on the right hand side of the van I'm wondering what the difference is between the RHD and LHD Fiamma awning? Has anyone any experience of the difference between the two. I'm sure there is a reason why they advertise the two different versions, and as I have a LHD van I guess I should go for the LHD awning, but I can't for the life of me work out (or research) what the difference is if they both sit on the right side of the vehicle. Any ideas? Cheers Cliff

Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 14.52.26.png

If its coming with the mounting brackets, they are handed.
The awning itself has the winding mechanism to the rear, so left hand side on a right hand awning or right side on a left hand awning.

I hope that makes sense?

Hi all, I've got a 2016 LHD T6 (7 seater) California Beach SWB and I'm looking into adding a Fiamma F45s roll-out awning. The sliding door is on the right hand side of the vehicle, which I think is the same on the RHD. As the awning will be situated on the right hand side of the van I'm wondering what the difference is between the RHD and LHD Fiamma awning? Has anyone any experience of the difference between the two. I'm sure there is a reason why they advertise the two different versions, and as I have a LHD van I guess I should go for the LHD awning, but I can't for the life of me work out (or research) what the difference is if they both sit on the right side of the vehicle. Any ideas? Cheers Cliff

View attachment 94923
The handing reference could be based on a Transporter (i.e. a conversion) rather than a Cali. If a Transporter then the LHD or RHD would also place the sliding door side appropriately. With a Cali of course the sliding door is fixed irrespective of the drivers side... As Andyinluton says, it will likely be about the mounting brackets handing and position of the winder.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t make any difference. The awning on my LHD T5 Beach is the same as on the RHD T6 Ocean I had. The sliding door is on the same side. A RHD Cali is a design compromise!

Shouldn’t make any difference. The awning on my LHD T5 Beach is the same as on the T6 Ocean I had. The sliding door is on the same side. A RHD Cali is a design compromise!
LHD version avoids the need to drill additonal holes in the awning casing for the mounting brackets. (RHD will be in wrong position for a Cali.)

@CliffLonsdale
Any reason you are going for the Fiamma rather than the Thule as fitted by VW since about 2013?

@CliffLonsdale
Any reason you are going for the Fiamma rather than the Thule as fitted by VW since about 2013?
It's a good question! I'm struggling to find a Thule over here in France to be honest, but plenty of places with Fiamma. Am I making a terrible mistake?

It's a good question! I'm struggling to find a Thule over here in France to be honest, but plenty of places with Fiamma. Am I making a terrible mistake?

Thule used to look better, Fiamma are more sturdy and they have now updated the look.

They are both good.

Thule look better, Fiamma are more sturdy.

They are both good.
I've just had another look at Thule, and I'm not sure they are compatible with my poptop anyway this is what campervanbits.com has to say about Thule - "If you have a factory T5/T6 van with a pop top fitted with rear scissor hinges – again this kit will not fit. (you will need a fiamma f45s with an additional fitting kit)"

IMG_5928.jpg

I've just had another look at Thule, and I'm not sure they are compatible with my poptop anyway this is what campervanbits.com has to say about Thule - "If you have a factory T5/T6 van with a pop top fitted with rear scissor hinges – again this kit will not fit. (you will need a fiamma f45s with an additional fitting kit)"

If you choose this one from the shop:

Thule Omnistor 5102 Full Roll-Out Awning (for use VW T5 T6, T6.1 and the California)

When you go to options on the drop down menu it has a specific one for the California which will fit.

If you choose this one from the shop:

Thule Omnistor 5102 Full Roll-Out Awning (for use VW T5 T6, T6.1 and the California)

When you go to options on the drop down menu it has a specific one for the California which will fit.
Well that is interesting to know. Either I buy the Fiamma now here in SW France, or wait until August when we are driving up to the UK for a jolly (to escape the sun) and get the Thule. Shipping from UK to France is not an option, though I've bought plenty of kit from Germany without too much pain so I will investigate there too. I like the idea of sticking with the VW standard awning, but had just given up on the idea. Thanks all for the help on this!

If I understand correctly, irrespective of whether you go for Thule or Fiamma you need the specific California brackets. The standard ones don’t work with the Cali roof.

If I understand correctly, irrespective of whether you go for Thule or Fiamma you need the specific California brackets. The standard ones don’t work with the Cali roof.
Noted thanks! Yes, it's interesting that the Thule Omnistor 5102's I'm looking at now for sale in Europe (not France unfortunately) quite often say "not suitable for California" - but they have no mention of the extra brackets that would make them suitable! Maybe I hold out on this for a couple of months and get one in the UK from campervanbits.com with the correct bracket.

Order just the Fitting kit from the shop on here and the awning itself in France?

The VW brackets are specific for the oem Thule 5102 awning and don’t fit the Fiamma: about £70 each !!!

The part number for the front bracket in black is 7H7 877 238 B9P 7 : rear is 7H7 877 238 D9P 7

Fiamma do their own brackets for the F35i awning for £70 for the pair.

There’s not much to choose between the awnings tbh.

Back