Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra seat for 2 rail Cali

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We got our California in late 2013 but sadly just before collecting the Cali, my Dad who shared a love for classic and new VWs with me passed away suddenly.

We are expecting our second baby later this year and now Mum doesn't have Dad, we are finding we are taking her away with us on weekends away and just day trips more often as she doesn't drive.

It suddenly became apparent the other night that when baby 2 comes along, Mum won't be able to to come along as the Cali only sits 4.

Am I missing any obvious solutions to carry 3 adults and 2 young ones, or am I going to gave to put my modification skills that me and Dad shared on our 60s Beetles to fabricate a system where a child seat attaches to the 2 rail system that can be removed when camping and stored in the drive away awning.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, I'm sure Dad would think of something if he was still with us.

image.jpg

Thanks,

Andrew.

Last edited:
I would speak to Colin at Oxford t5 we will be able to fit you a fith rail
Then you could use a fith seat.

Sorry to hear your bad news.

Hope you find a solution so you can all get away together.

Thanks, I was thinking about giving Colin a call, he was very helpful when I fitted my Calfonia kitchen to our old T5 conversion. Should of kept that one, we could get 5 in there!

For safety reasons that's the way I would go

You could also fit a double passenger cab seat with a swivel. I think someone on here has done it already but I can't find the post at the moment. Not sure how easy it is with all the battery stuff underneath the seat.

I don't think anyone has fitted a swivelling double in the front on a RHD cali. T5 did a fixed front and I think someone did a LHD swivelling double on a T4 I am currently considering a second 2 seater bench, without the bed board there is plenty of room - main issues are weight & poor view out from what would be the 3rd row. We really need someone like T5 Oxford to come up with a lightweight 2 seater bench that uses the outer 2 rails.

How do you stand with DVLA, because my V5 specifies 4 seats. Can you change the V5 to accommodate the 5th seat. Although mine is a 4Motion and I belive there is a weight problem because the 4Motion is heavier. Could be wrong, often am.

How do you stand with DVLA, because my V5 specifies 4 seats. Can you change the V5 to accommodate the 5th seat. Although mine is a 4Motion and I belive there is a weight problem because the 4Motion is heavier. Could be wrong, often am.

Dvla will change it no problem insurance is a different matter

Sorry about your loss.
You can put a second 2seat bench in the Cali. It won't be very spacey and it is not very comfortable putting it on or out (heavy) but that's an easy solution. The 2 kids won't need much foot space anyways. How about that?
The cost for used ones start from round 1000 euros if you are damn lucky.
LgC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can find me one for 1000 euros I would be extremely happy - eBay here the cheapest are £1500 so 2000 euro

Back