Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exploding worktop

D

Danieljwalker

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi - we took delivery of our 2018 Cali in January and we love it. It’s been faultless, until Monday night when the worktop over the hob spontaneously exploded! Very odd as it hadn’t been touched so at a loss to explain what happened.

Anyway, I called VW Van Centre Liverpool and they’ve confirmed that they will replace under warranty, so I’m obviously very pleased with the good service.

It happened to ours as well whilst away in Wales last week. Went pop for no obvious reason. Forunately I had the glass protector film fitted and was able to remove the glass pretty much in one piece with only a few tiny shards falling onto the hob. Its booked into Breeze for a warranty replacement. What I noticed was that without glass in it, the hinge is incredibly stiff, of course intentionally so it holds up in the raised position. But I do wonder if the leverage caused to the end of the glass near the hinge may have caused stress enough to weaken it.

It happened to ours as well whilst away in Wales last week. Went pop for no obvious reason. Forunately I had the glass protector film fitted and was able to remove the glass pretty much in one piece with only a few tiny shards falling onto the hob. Its booked into Breeze for a warranty replacement. What I noticed was that without glass in it, the hinge is incredibly stiff, of course intentionally so it holds up in the raised position. But I do wonder if the leverage caused to the end of the glass near the hinge may have caused stress enough to weaken it.
Do you have a link to that film Graham?
Thanks

Hi Tim - They are available direct from a forum member called Andrew Spicer - you can dm him here on @Ajspicer
I ordered them and gave them to the detailer when I had it ceramic coated. They messed up the application of one, said they were useless. I suspect they didn't follow the instructions I gave them from Andrew. I wondered if you'd bought yours elsewhere.
I still have the other 2 but haven't tried fitting them. Did yours work well?

Yes fine, you have to be careful and take your time and avoid any contamination on the sticky side. But once I had done one I got the hang of it. Highly recommended in the event of a broken worktop! Plus I like the matt frosted look - doesnt show kids’ fingermarks ;)

I ordered them and gave them to the detailer when I had it ceramic coated. They messed up the application of one, said they were useless. I suspect they didn't follow the instructions I gave them from Andrew. I wondered if you'd bought yours elsewhere.
I still have the other 2 but haven't tried fitting them. Did yours work well?
PS the YouTube video is useful for fitting instructions.

Update - replacement fitted by Breeze under warranty, which was relief because the part is shockingly expensive. I reckon the fitted price would have been the wrong side of £400 :eek:
Fantastic service at Breeze Poole, they even refilled the screenwash without charge.

Update - replacement fitted by Breeze under warranty, which was relief because the part is shockingly expensive. I reckon the fitted price would have been the wrong side of £400 :eek:
Fantastic service at Breeze Poole, they even refilled the screenwash without charge.
Did they say what might have caused it?
A regular fault?

No, they didn’t say why - just unlucky I think. Looking on here, it seems it does happen sometimes, but not that often. Glass is funny stuff and minor manufacturing flaws can cause it to fail I guess.

Back