Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EPC and other Warning Lights - Can’t get it diagnosed for 7 Weeks!

Grigio Van Grigio

Grigio Van Grigio

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I hoping I can use the Cali collective to work out what I can do here!

Driving home the other day, I got an engine overheating warning and EPC light came on. Pulled over and fan was going at full blast, but no signs of overheating. Restarted and all ok for a couple of miles. Then everything was going - ACC, stop/start, stability control, parking sensors etc. Got home and called VW Assist and an AA man came out. Diagnostics suggested a fault with the temp sensor but he didn’t have one and couldn’t see anything wrong with it. Said I should get it booked in but left me with the van as it didn’t have the red exclamation mark sign, only the yellow one.

Called VW Vans Manchester - earliest date for diagnostics 14th March. Seven weeks! They said the only way they could look at it earlier is if the AA towed it in. They won’t do that unless the van says it should not be driven.

Since then, I’ve had various journeys. Some only ACC switches off, some multiple systems, occasionally the EPC light comes back on and van says it’s overheating again. But that sometimes just disappears again even when driving. I actually did a 300 mile round trip with no issues at all!

Problem is, I don’t want to be driving it when all these warning lights keep coming on. Safety is obviously affected if things like stability control goes off and I don’t want to be told I’ve made things worse through driving it. But it’s my only form of transport so I’ve got no option. Really not happy with this on a brand new, very expensive van.

I’m going to phone VW Assist again and really lay it on thick to see if there’s anything they can do (someone mentioned a silver van VW Technician can come out rather than the AA?). Other than that, anyone got any suggestions? (Also posted on the T6 Forum for their thoughts as well as this isn’t necessarily a Cali)

TIA

I hoping I can use the Cali collective to work out what I can do here!

Driving home the other day, I got an engine overheating warning and EPC light came on. Pulled over and fan was going at full blast, but no signs of overheating. Restarted and all ok for a couple of miles. Then everything was going - ACC, stop/start, stability control, parking sensors etc. Got home and called VW Assist and an AA man came out. Diagnostics suggested a fault with the temp sensor but he didn’t have one and couldn’t see anything wrong with it. Said I should get it booked in but left me with the van as it didn’t have the red exclamation mark sign, only the yellow one.

Called VW Vans Manchester - earliest date for diagnostics 14th March. Seven weeks! They said the only way they could look at it earlier is if the AA towed it in. They won’t do that unless the van says it should not be driven.

Since then, I’ve had various journeys. Some only ACC switches off, some multiple systems, occasionally the EPC light comes back on and van says it’s overheating again. But that sometimes just disappears again even when driving. I actually did a 300 mile round trip with no issues at all!

Problem is, I don’t want to be driving it when all these warning lights keep coming on. Safety is obviously affected if things like stability control goes off and I don’t want to be told I’ve made things worse through driving it. But it’s my only form of transport so I’ve got no option. Really not happy with this on a brand new, very expensive van.

I’m going to phone VW Assist again and really lay it on thick to see if there’s anything they can do (someone mentioned a silver van VW Technician can come out rather than the AA?). Other than that, anyone got any suggestions? (Also posted on the T6 Forum for their thoughts as well as this isn’t necessarily a Cali)

TIA
When you phone VW Assist, insist on a VW Assistance Technician appointment ONLY. You may have to wait upto 24hrs or so.
Explain only vehicle and you are getting safety warnings on Dashboard.

Cheers WG. They took some persuading but I’ve got a VW Technician coming out now. They initially tried to get me to call VW CV Customer Service to put pressure on the Dealer but I said I wasn’t happy with that as it’s my only vehicle and safety systems like stability control were being affected.

Will keep you updated.

So, it turns out it’s one of the temperature sensors. He’s referred me to the garage and they should get me in within 72 hours. We’ll see how we get on with that.

Five days after I called the VW Tech out, the van has been repaired. It was as the technician said on the drive - faulty temperature sensor. Manchester Van Centre has had the van since Monday but it took a week because they had to get sign off from VW for the warranty claim. So all’s good. If you’ve got VW Assist, insist on the VW Technician in the silver van! They said there could be a wait but he was with me in 90 mins.

If you’ve got VW Assist, insist on the VW Technician in the silver van! They said there could be a wait but he was with me in 90 mins.
Thats the best approach to many Cali problems. I Called them out on five consecutive days with my first T6.1 when the roof wouldn't lower , its amazing how quick they can find a slot at a garage when they need to.

Back