Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Conversion Kit for T5/T6 available for 30K€

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Ah yes but will it cost €30k extra for the battery version when it comes directly from VW. All vehicles are consumables and even though they may cost an awful lot of money they ALL have a shelf life. When we produce 100% of our own electricity and not rely on foreign countries then we can think about EVERY vehicle being powered by an alternative means. With battery power we have put all our eggs in one basket. Hydrogen power seems to have been dismissed now and in my opinion is a big mistake.

Ah yes but will it cost €30k extra for the battery version when it comes directly from VW. All vehicles are consumables and even though they may cost an awful lot of money they ALL have a shelf life. When we produce 100% of our own electricity and not rely on foreign countries then we can think about EVERY vehicle being powered by an alternative means. With battery power we have put all our eggs in one basket. Hydrogen power seems to have been dismissed now and in my opinion is a big mistake.
Not dismissed by Earthshot.

But dismissed by ALL of our politicians..The same as the Swansea barrage..Nothing is free as we have all found out recently.
I have hope, after all they also ALL supported a move to Diesel.

Has not Boris just announced that the UK will become the Kuwait of hydrogen? In which case as hydrogen is a gas I will keep my gas boiler. On the other hand maybe our politicians have not realised that hydrogen is a gas!

Well, this will prolong the life of our T5/T6 Calis long into the future.

Article today in german only I'm afraid:
https://www.n-tv.de/auto/Aus-VW-Bullis-koennen-Elektroautos-werden-article22871807.html

It will definitely keep the second hand value of California up, I think.
Weird that they seem to have kept the 12v battery, still there under the bonnet. But looks like still enough space in front of that for me to stow my engine oil and jump leads...

Well….: € 30k, that’s about 1/3 of the price of a new Cali, just a bit more than 1/2 that of a decent 2nd hand one… If one can extend its life with another 10 years….

What gearbox are they attaching in that video?

Weird that they seem to have kept the 12v battery, still there under the bonnet. But looks like still enough space in front of that for me to stow my engine oil and jump leads...
The 12v battery on electric vehicles is predominately there for the door locks and alarm system, the infotainment system on some cars too.

I have hope, after all they also ALL supported a move to Diesel.
What’s to say that in the future they decide the the change to battery was as big a cock up as change to Diesel. With millions of battery powered vehicles there will have to be a complete new industry in battery reverbs. At the moment battery life is supposed to be 7 years. Lots of owners won’t be able to afford a replacement so therefore they will be scrapped. Like the early Renault Zoe the battery was leased and made the cars virtually unsellable second hand. Let’s pray they get it right this time.

A world full of batteries might be an environmental catastrophe unless robust controls on mining, production and disposal are put in place globally.

A world full of batteries might be an environmental catastrophe unless robust controls on mining, production and disposal are put in place globally.
Exactly. Unless ALL these batteries can be cheaply and effectively recycled we are heading for disaster. Probably 25 million in the U K alone, billions around the world.

With all those heavy batteries strapped to the bottom of a California, what would be the effect on the load carrying capacity, or the ground clearance?

With all those heavy batteries strapped to the bottom of a California, what would be the effect on the load carrying capacity, or the ground clearance?
Take into account that the engine, gearbox, fuel tank and other accessories will have been removed.

Need a T38...

Take into account that the engine, gearbox, fuel tank and other accessories will have been removed.
I read somewhere......."Currently, the powertrain of a full-battery EV with a 35.8kWh battery pack and 100kW electric motor is nearly 125% heavier than a standard internal combustion engine vehicle powertrain."

I'm not sure if the writer means 125% heavier or 25% heavier. Maths is rarely a journalist's strongpoint. Either way, the battery setup will still be likely to eat into the van's weight allwance.

All I see in the pictures and video is a T5/6 barebone Transporter without seats, not a California camper with all its weight, like kitchen, popup roof, awning, beds, chairs, tables, heater, water tanks, drawers...

@5i1ver8ack: any chance to give us a link on the 125 %?

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Each is entitled to their own opinion and should be respected. There is no issue that I know of regarding the Propex heater or propane heaters in general. A diesel leak will pool and any flammable pool is a fire risk. Propane will dissipate quickly in any breeze but it is more flammable than diesel. The diesel tank (70-90 litres) being larger than the 15 litre underslung propane tank will always last longer. We have used our heater off grid for 5 days without issue. How many days does one require? Reliability has not been an issue. The exhaust from a diesel heater does smell like diesel, not greatly but one can smell the unburnt fuel. The propane exhaust is almost smell free as are domestic gas cookers. Propane (lpg) is cheaper than diesel but of lower calorific value than diesel.
A Propex heater remains a viable alternative to the diesel heater but not if running off Campinggaz bottles.

Back