Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driveway Awning

A lot of people have mentioned boot space. It took us a while to get our heads around it but you can move the bench all the way forward when you're travelling. Obvs. Which we do now.

It creates a massive gap between the back of the SpaceMate and the back of the bench and in there goes our awning, Duvalay and chairs and any other items of that ilk. Has the benefit of making the back flat so no issues seeing through the window.

Then when on site we just pull it all out, pop it up, bench back, Bobs yr Uncle.
We have a towbar mounted storage box (Thule BackUp) that the awning and paraphernalia fits in easily. Fits under the bike rack and great when you have four and a dog travelling.

A lot of people have mentioned boot space. It took us a while to get our heads around it but you can move the bench all the way forward when you're travelling. Obvs. Which we do now.

It creates a massive gap between the back of the SpaceMate and the back of the bench and in there goes our awning, Duvalay and chairs and any other items of that ilk. Has the benefit of making the back flat so no issues seeing through the window.

Then when on site we just pull it all out, pop it up, bench back, Bobs yr Uncle.
We do exactly the same when we travel and need more space. Bench going forward to create that space. It nearly double the space behind the bench. Good point. :thumb

I mean that some awnings that are not correctly handed for the Cali will put the entrance door at the back of the Cali, which may or may not be a problem depending on your point of view, the Kampa one gives you the option to pick which one you want :thumb Vango dropped offering a Cali one a few years ago, outdoor revolution do give the option on the T4e but only in polyester rather than technical cotton, hopefully that makes sense.
You can still buy the RSV version of the Galli III but not the TC version. In fact I believe they’ve dropped the TC option all together. We had the choice last year, a standard LSV TC version versus a nylon RSV version. As our TC Kela V had performed so well, we opted for the breathable cotton version. Having the front porch alongside the boot opening works well for us, access to gear in the boot. Also, you tend to drive forward onto your pitch which is marginally easier regards lining up to the awning tunnel connection.

We have a small Outdoor Revolution air awning, but we don't use it very often - don't tend to stay more than a couple of nights in one place. The way it's facing doesn't really matter as we generally get in/out via the flap by the van rather than going through the awning.
We also have the awning sides, which are easier to put up but then you can't move the van. Also have an old canopy which we slide into the cassette awning rail and peg out to give a bit of shelter/shade/privacy, which is the lightest/easiest option.

Sorry, not got a drive away awning yet but don’t you just park the other way round? Or am I missing something?

Sorry, not got a drive away awning yet but don’t you just park the other way round? Or am I missing something?
Yes, I'd say it doesn't matter at all

Can anyone recommend a good dealer where its possible to view some driveway awnings, preferably not too far from the Winchester area?

Depends, some sites are funny about which way round you park.

Personally though, it's never been an issue for me, and as you say I just park nose forward to have the awning on the RHS of the van.

Although a bit on the big side, the Outwell Wolfburg Air is also mountable on either side of the van facing forwards or backwards on either side. Sewn-in groundsheet toi.
Got a very good discount at A&E Leisure after seeing it at the NEC.

Depends, some sites are funny about which way round you park.

Personally though, it's never been an issue for me, and as you say I just park nose forward to have the awning on the RHS of the van.
Agree. We‘ve been on a private site having a rule about parking bonnet/ windscreen facing the access road - to make all units nice and uniform! Ended up having the awning ‘front’ facing the rear hedge :(.

Caravan club sites have a rule about parking between pegs, which tend to be set across to the left of the pitch looking into it. This means you need to drive in to the pitch, and have the awning on right….

image.jpg

Agree. We‘ve been on a private site having a rule about parking bonnet/ windscreen facing the access road - to make all units nice and uniform! Ended up having the awning ‘front’ facing the rear hedge :(.

Caravan club sites have a rule about parking between pegs, which tend to be set across to the left of the pitch looking into it. This means you need to drive in to the pitch, and have the awning on right….

View attachment 120737
CAMC sites are primarily why I bought the Versos, to try and give me a bit of flexibility.

I bought an awning two weeks ago ( not had a chance to try it yet ). I went to A and E leisure in Cheshire so I could have a good look at them. I ended up buying an Outdoor Revolution T3E Euro. The euro versions fits the Cali correctly on the RHS. The T4E does also have a euro version. Worth a look on the Outdoor revolution website or a visit to a showroom that can show you awnings set up.
We have one too very pleased with it

We purchased the Outdoor Revolution Cayman Combo Air PC from the recent show at the NEC but not tried it out yet. Will and Sarah from campervan time did a YouTube video about the lightweight fabric version where you can see them putting one up.
Didn’t realise how heavy the poly cotton would be before it was delivered but it’s not like your always having to carry it for any length of time.

B80A152A-1888-47B4-BC78-90A1C08236FF.jpeg

Back