Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning or not?

We've not stayed on a Caravan Club site with it but my understanding is that you would have a issues with a drive away if you drive away as at that point is considered a tent rather than an awning. I read somewhere this was down to the planning permission for some sites. I think it is a bit of a minefield anyway as some drive aways are too big for pitches.

Thanks for your response, MichaelB. That's interesting about the drive away awnings too. I have seen quite a lot of drive away awnings used on Caravan Club sites but have never seen a pop-up tent being used apart from a couple of toilet tents at the rear of campers. I guess it probably depends on the individual wardens to some extent, and what they consider to be a 'tent'. It would be interesting to know what the CC's official line on this is though - I sense an email coming on! I have bought a Kyham Motordome Tourer but haven't used it yet so hopefully won't have an issue as I will mostly be using Caravan Club sites, at least for this year (I am used to CC sites so sticking to the familiar until I am more confident with everything). I won't even have a groundsheet in it though, let alone an inner tent to sleep in so I would happily show the wardens that it is definitely not a tent if need be! :)

Thanks again,
Maud

Thanks Michael
The green Quechua shelter is the smaller of the two. The larger one used to be a pop up but is now a pump up. Will be

We went for the Kyham. Read a thread that suggested it could take 45 mins to set up - ours certainly doesn't! My husband can manage it in around 10 mins. I can certainly have the whole things done - inc ground sheets and stakes etc in 20.
One big benefit we found is that it helps to keep your space too, so you don't return to find your spot has been knicked.
However, if I wasn't trying to attach it, I would have a look at the stand alone tepee tents, especially the ones that can have a log burning stove- 12 month season then with that and your Cali.

Thats given me a fun idea for COTF15, we could have an awning erection competition.....The fastest wins. Would be a bit of fun, especially if its windy:)

Points could be given for time, quality of set up, attachment to the camper van..... Martin, Kev over to you??

We went for the Kyham. Read a thread that suggested it could take 45 mins to set up - ours certainly doesn't! My husband can manage it in around 10 mins. I can certainly have the whole things done - inc ground sheets and stakes etc in 20.
One big benefit we found is that it helps to keep your space too, so you don't return to find your spot has been knicked.
However, if I wasn't trying to attach it, I would have a look at the stand alone tepee tents, especially the ones that can have a log burning stove- 12 month season then with that and your Cali.
Thanks Debs
How do you find the separate groundsheet with the khyam? My wife is concerned about drafts compared to one that is sewn in?
Thanks

No issues - we have the new one which attaches up to the sides and by the time we've decamped all of our stuff etc. there's loads of weight to keep it in place too.

No issues - we have the new one which attaches up to the sides and by the time we've decamped all of our stuff etc. there's loads of weight to keep it in place too.
Debs a couple more questions if I may?
How does the groundsheet attach?
Does the bedroom area have full length separation?
Thanks

The Outdoor Revolution Oxygen Movelite Kombi is an impressive looking awning, and yes expensive, but if its what fit your requirements, then go for it. I haven't seen one in the flesh. but Im sure its a quality product. There must be a review of it somewhere. The one important thing, for me, is that its inflatable, which makes it easier to put up/down, better in winds, smaller when put away, and will wear less as it doesn't have poles - This is why we switched our hire awnings from Khyam to Vango, then we realised how good they are, so started selling them.

Good luck in your search

Ground sheet has hooks that attach at the bottom and about 30cm up the sides - cut aways on all the doors openings etc, so they just lie flat, but we've never noticed a draft from those.

From memory the sleeping pods attach to the sides, but we don't have them, so can't help with that one,

I am absolutely bamboozled by the choice of awnings and the mixed views, as I am a total newbie to this I have decided to go and visit the show at the NEC in February, hopefully seeing something in the flesh might help. Inflatable looks the way to go for me.

I am absolutely bamboozled by the choice of awnings and the mixed views, as I am a total newbie to this I have decided to go and visit the show at the NEC in February, hopefully seeing something in the flesh might help. Inflatable looks the way to go for me.
Good idea! Please let me know if you see anything good. Nice and large with sleeping room for 4! Cheers

Good idea! Please let me know if you see anything good. Nice and large with sleeping room for 4! Cheers
Went to the show and to be honest I am still undecided, the sales guys obviously push their own products and point out faults with other people's products, there was an obvious biased towards inflatables but then when I started to ask questions about how to repair punctures etc.. It did worry me that nobody really had a good answer, after much deliberating we have decided to go with the Kyham motor dome, looks good, had a go at putting it up and down, spare parts available and the separate ground sheet should prevent the tent or not a tent issue on some sites. Just got to pick the phone up and take the plunge now....

This is why we switched our hire awnings from Khyam to Vango, then we realised how good they are, so started selling them.

Can I ask, what's your oldest Vango airbeam tent?

Vango have a good rep for durability not least the famous Force 10! Compared to a pole tent I wonder about longevity? Presumably the material is made airtight by coating or impregnation. I wonder if this will flake off like it does on old rucksacks - at least with a pole tent you can repair.

Thoughts? Are my expectations too high?

Our oldest is about a year.

You could repair easily if necessary. Our issue with the Khyam, apart from being bulkier, and taking longer to put up/take down, was the wear from the poles themselves, when erected and assembly/disassembly.

I suppose time will tell, but feedback has been great so far far from our renters and customers. We've had a couple of warranty issues with the Vango's (torn groundsheets when opened initially) and they replaced them with no quibble. We had a couple of warranty issues with Khyam, and it was always a battle....

We are all different of course, and we will each all like different awnings for different reasons - Look and try them all and see what works best for you - We are always happy to demonstrate our awnings for you.

Hi

I went to the show and looked at Outdoor Revolution, Vango and Outwell. Disappointingly, both Outwell and Vango did not have the full range I was interested in on display, but I guess they can't bring everything.

I didn't have the Khyam on my list until a chat with XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (nice bloke), but in the end I stayed with air-frame technology. Though easy to erect and some plus points for it, I felt that it would be easier to manoeuvre an airframe tent. (Happy to elaborate).

I went for (bought) the Outdoor Revolution. Reasons. Price, lifetime guarantee, and a valve that prevents over inflation (or increased pressure during higher temperatures). Close cal between it and the Outwell, which had a good single-inflate point.

Definitely worth going to the show to see the ranges though. Plus discounts were available for orders on the day.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I went to the show and looked at Outdoor Revolution, Vango and Outwell. Disappointingly, both Outwell and Vango did not have the full range I was interested in on display, but I guess they can't bring everything.

I didn't have the Khyam on my list until a chat with Steve from Campervantastic (nice bloke), but in the end I stayed with air-frame technology. Though easy to erect and some plus points for it, I felt that it would be easier to manoeuvre an airframe tent. (Happy to elaborate).

I went for (bought) the Outdoor Revolution. Reasons. Price, lifetime guarantee, and a valve that prevents over inflation (or increased pressure during higher temperatures). Close cal between it and the Outwell, which had a good single-inflate point.

Definitely worth going to the show to see the ranges though. Plus discounts were available for orders on the day.

Cheers
Mark
Mark
Which model did you go for? Was it the Movelite Kombi?
Cheers

Do all the inflatable awnings have sewn in ground sheets?
The problem with a sewn in one is that if the doors are open and it's raining then the water will gather on the groundsheet due to the sloping sides of modern awnings. We tried to find an awning with a vertical side where the doorway/s are but couldn't find one anywhere. Used to be common years ago.

Hi,

I went for the "Movelite 2". I was debating the "Duo", but in the end I wanted something that wasn't to big, and the Duo was a little wider than I wanted.

Briwy, all the inflatables I saw did have bathtub groundsheets. I don't know if "all" inflatables are sewn in, but the one's I saw were.

I'm expecting delivery in a couple of weeks.

Mark

Look and try them all and see what works best for you - We are always happy to demonstrate our awnings for you.

Might take you up on this - thank you. We are down Emsworth way later next month and will see what we can do - Saturdays ok? Planning France in the summer and with 2 littlens think we'll need the space!

Might take you up on this - thank you. We are down Emsworth way later next month and will see what we can do - Saturdays ok? Planning France in the summer and with 2 littlens think we'll need the space!

BMVS-CAMPER-HIRE,

We're up on Saturday, can we look at some awnings in the morning? Which ones do you have? We'd like to look at Kela and a Khyam if you still sell them. Thanks, Dan.

Hi Gasgas what didnt you like about the Kela? We have a Sapera and regards to put up its so easy,View attachment 6562 the only gripe i have with it is the conection/joining to the van can be a bit naff:(

How did you find the waterproofness of this setup? Also, with the canopy sides, can these be brought close to the van without touching with any potential scratching areas? Thanks.

We've decided to hold fire on the drive away awning for now, we tend to move around a lot and pitching and taking down a tent each time would be a pain for us. We have opted for now to just get a Tarp style shelter from Decathalon.

How did you find the waterproofness of this setup? Also, with the canopy sides, can these be brought close to the van without touching with any potential scratching areas? Thanks.

The Kela is nicely watertight though the adjoining canopy material can dip and collect water that can form collections especially at each end of the canopy. The Kador connection with the van seems watertight enough and water does not actually get into the awning itself. The canopy, using Kador and a figure of eight connection is actually a bit of a pain and I think the next time I use it I'll try to put the bead on the canopy directly into the Cali awning. We have yet to actually drive away from the awning so the kador and fig8 is superfluous. However the Vango awning is still an excellent bit of kit but like all things Cali seems to take a try or two to get the knack of using.

MattBW: For anything less than a long weekend the drive away awning is to much of a faff to put up, for us, and it is pretty big when packed up. In retrospect we should have held off getting the Vango and perhaps would have got a bit more use out of sides for the built in awning. It is good to have an area to step out into.

Back