Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning or not?

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All
Having just become the proud owners of our first Cali, a 2010 140 SE in silver, I'd appreciate advice from other owners on what works for them.
We need something large with bedroom space to use alongside the Cali when camping which is quick to put up.
The immediate thought is a proper drive away awning, something like the Khyam Motordome. However, I've read that a lot of other camper/motorhome owners prefer to use something entirely separate as attaching/detaching can be a bit of a PITA.
Decathlon do a nice living room tent which bedroom pods can be attached to when needed and would provide decent flexibility, but of course it would remain separate.
All opinions/advice greatfully received
Many thanks

Hi Marshian

Hope you enjoy your newly acquired Cali. We're relatively new owners ourselves.

After much discussion on this topic, we opted for one of those Quechua Base Seconds popup living areas to setup alongside us. It's really quick to setup and take down again (although a little faffy when collapsing). Not a bad price either. We've tried it a few times and found it great.

We're told that you can also get additional pods you can attach if you need them, but it's not something we need so never looked into it.

Good luck with your Cali, and the awning search!

Hi Marshian

Hope you enjoy your newly acquired Cali. We're relatively new owners ourselves.

After much discussion on this topic, we opted for one of those Quechua Base Seconds popup living areas to setup alongside us. It's really quick to setup and take down again (although a little faffy when collapsing). Not a bad price either. We've tried it a few times and found it great.

We're told that you can also get additional pods you can attach if you need them, but it's not something we need so never looked into it.

Good luck with your Cali, and the awning search!

+1 for the pop up ,we purchased the vango kela from cotf and we don't get on with it ,so we are going to sell it and buy a Quechua large pop up of some sort ,which will suit us better

+1 for the pop up ,we purchased the vango kela from cotf and we don't get on with it ,so we are going to sell it and buy a Quechua large pop up of some sort ,which will suit us better
Thanks it seems the large Quechua pop up is now a pump up! On it's own at £280 is perhaps not too bad but the sleeping tents which attach (I would need 2) come in at another £219 each so the overall price is expensive. Also the packs they come in look rather large
Please keep the ideas coming!

Hi

I'm in a similar position, just starting to think about extra space and an awning. I have considered the Vango Idris (don't need bedrooms). Gasgas, would be interested to know why you don't get on with your Kela (which if I understand correctly is an Idris with bedroom).

Cheers
Mark

If you really need a drive away awning then the Vango is the best option. We bought one but in truth have used it only a few times and wonder if a set of sides for the roll out awning might not have been better suited for us. The Quechua stuff looks great but suspect, if experience with their smaller products is an indication, that it'd be best reserved for summer time and good weather. The Vango however is built to take a pounding. There are considerations in costs and if the campsites would charge extra for a separate tent (most allow little pup tents) that was not an awning.

We use a Outwell Hollywood Freeway inflatable drive away awning.
Really pleased with it, not to much of a faff to put up and down. It gives loads of space, all of which is standing height (I'm 6ft 5). We connect it to the top of the calli awning with a figure of 8. Easy to connect/reconnect to.We only use it if we're staying for more than a night at a site. It has made a huge difference to our camping experience, we have a Beach, so this was always going to be the way we'd planned on camping.
We used it for 13 nights on a 20 night Euro road trip down to Croatia and back last september and we have no regrets on what was quite an expensive bit of kit to buy.

Hi Gasgas what didnt you like about the Kela? We have a Sapera and regards to put up its so easy,Smiths Holiday 2014 293.JPG the only gripe i have with it is the conection/joining to the van can be a bit naff:(

Hi Mucksmuff,

How do you prevent rain running down into the van from the awning? Connection appears lower than the top of the awning roof.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mucksmuff,

How do you prevent rain running down into the van from the awning? Connection appears lower than the top of the awning roof.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,
It dosen't come into the van but it does pour down the sides and if its very windy then it does flap about a bit.
I did get a good fit when i used it with the roof down and strapped/bungeed it across roof to the other awning rail..
Cheers,
Mark.

Hi Gasgas what didnt you like about the Kela? We have a Sapera and regards to put up its so easy,View attachment 6562 the only gripe i have with it is the conection/joining to the van can be a bit naff:(

I agree that it is easy to put up and well made too,but the reason that we didn't get on with it ,especially in warm weather was that it makes the Cali quite hot and stuffy when it is connected and claustrophobic ,Also I find it a faff to connect it. I prefer to pitch it away from the Cali and use it for storage and the porta potti and just use the awning on the cali

Thanks both. Useful tips. I'm going to the C&C Show to hopefully see these things set up, so it is good to have pointers to look out for.

Cheers
Mark

I've had an outwell country road and a vango kela. The outwell was a better
design but the poles kept corroding. I suspect the outwell inflatable awing would be worth the extra and can probably be used as a stand alone as well

Thanks. I hadn't considered Outwell until this thread, but looked on their website last night and was quite impressed. They have single valve inflation system which looked quite good. Their "San Diego" seemed to be the same sort of size as the Kela.

Both on the list to look at.

Cheers
Mark

We have had experience of the Khyam and the Vango on our hire fleet. We are now a Vango dealer, because of the ease of putting them up, and down and how much smaller they fold away. Once you are up to speed with how it works you can get them fully set up in ten mins, as we demonstrated at COTF14. The Vango's don't have to necessary be attached, and the tunnel part can be rolled up, out of the way, so you can have the best of both worlds. Everyone is different and prefers different awnings for different reasons. The khyam's tend to wear quicker because of the poles, and they can also be a bit of a faff to get up, up to 45 mins.

We quite often open the sun canopy and attach the vango awning onto the end of it, and you can add awning sides if you want - This gives you loads of space.

We are always happy to demonstrate the awnings if you want to come down, and we are running the VIP offer again this year, with the free carpet. And we will again have them at COTF15.

HTH:)

We had a Vango Kela, was very pleased with it in terms of what it provided and ease or use.. but quickly realised that it was not for us. Way too much hassle and too large to carry in vehicle. We just use the side panels now for the cassette awning and haven't missed the Kela at all.

We have had experience of the Khyam and the Vango on our hire fleet. We are now a Vango dealer, because of the ease of putting them up, and down and how much smaller they fold away. Once you are up to speed with how it works you can get them fully set up in ten mins, as we demonstrated at COTF14. The Vango's don't have to necessary be attached, and the tunnel part can be rolled up, out of the way, so you can have the best of both worlds. Everyone is different and prefers different awnings for different reasons. The khyam's tend to wear quicker because of the poles, and they can also be a bit of a faff to get up, up to 45 mins.

We quite often open the sun canopy and attach the vango awning onto the end of it, and you can add awning sides if you want - This gives you loads of space.

We are always happy to demonstrate the awnings if you want to come down, and we are running the VIP offer again this year, with the free carpet. And we will again have them at COTF15.

HTH:)
Thanks for your comments. Problem for us is we need 2 x sleeping areas and the Vango's as far as I can tell only offer one sleeping area. I also prefer something that runs alongside the length of the van rather than outwards, if that makes sense?!
The new Outdoor Revolution Oxygen Movelite Kombi looks good, but very expensive

After a lot of thinking about it we went for the Quechua Base Seconds. We were a bit worried about the amount of space a drive away can take up on smaller pitches.

The staff in Decathlon were very helpful and let is put it up and down a few times in the shop to make sure we had the hang of it. It goes up and down really easily. It is worth watching the youTube video on how to put it down.

It is still available although now in green rather than the beige we have. Base Seconds Pop Up Living Area - Camping Shelter - Green QUECHUA - All Tents... At £139 it is a bargin in my view.

It is remarkable robust even in high-ish wind. We use the rollout awning to provide a bit of extra cover. I think if we were camping and it was raining solidly for a week of camping I would want a drive away but for most conditions the this setup has worked well for us. It does make camp quite light and airy which we like too.

Of course in all things you need to do what is right for you. An in investment of £139 is far less annoying that £300+ if you are not sure. Good luck

Camper with Base Tent.png

The pop up tents/living areas look great but has anyone tried to use them on a Caravan Club site, or any other sites which are for campers/motorhomes/caravans only? I'm just wondering whether they would be accepted on such sites as a freestanding 'awning' or whether this could cause an issue when choosing sites?

Maud

Hi Maud

We've not stayed on a Caravan Club site with it but my understanding is that you would have a issues with a drive away if you drive away as at that point is considered a tent rather than an awning. I read somewhere this was down to the planning permission for some sites. I think it is a bit of a minefield anyway as some drive aways are too big for pitches.

We've not had a issue yet.

If you think that might be an issue for you I guess you could phone round a bit and see what responses you get.

Hi, we have just sold our Cali due to a worsening back problem, absolutely gutted but it was just getting too awkward. As such I have lots of things to sell. Was at some point going to put them up for sale.
But thought as you are new and I could help with some stuff. Have all sorts of gear left over.
Drop me a pm if you feel the need.
Paul.

Hi All
Having just become the proud owners of our first Cali, a 2010 140 SE in silver, I'd appreciate advice from other owners on what works for them.
We need something large with bedroom space to use alongside the Cali when camping which is quick to put up.
The immediate thought is a proper drive away awning, something like the Khyam Motordome. However, I've read that a lot of other camper/motorhome owners prefer to use something entirely separate as attaching/detaching can be a bit of a PITA.
Decathlon do a nice living room tent which bedroom pods can be attached to when needed and would provide decent flexibility, but of course it would remain separate.
All opinions/advice greatfully received
Many thanks
We purchased a Kyham Motordome. Brilliant product. Repositioning is no problem. We put two pegs in the ground about an inch from the centre of the tyres. When you return we just line up with these. You should investigate the amount of sleeping accommodation for your needs.

Back